Encryption and startup delay / performance

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
1)
I've recently encrypted a few SSDs/partitions and all devices have coped well with that. Using Veracrypt.

But one type of laptop takes 4-5 times longer after password input than the others, the Lenovo X240. We have a few of them and it's the same for all. It's more or less the same specs as the other laptops, i5, SSD, 8GB RAM
Any ideas why that is?

2)
Has anybody tried encrypting a RasPi (3b) SD card? How big is the performance impact?

I only encrypt my home partition. There's a tiny delay when it comes to decrypting it when it tries to mount everything auto in my fstab file, but it's nothing compared to the delay of my typing in my passcode. If you fill your /opt with stuff then I guess there might be value in encrypting that, but I don't otherwise see the point of encrypting anything else.

I had similar case - this time with LUKS - two computers, relatively small difference in performance, both had fast disk drives, and older one seems to go like Win95 on a 4MB 386 with all I/O through encrypted drive.
I think it may be caused by usage of some hardware acceleration, there are lots of them and they're poorly documented (as well as there are rumours that they have a backdoor).

Back