Enternal Harddrive?

tony2k1

Still Fresh
How do i view a enternal harddrive on the gp2x cradle? It not show anywhere on the gp2x.

Thank you!

Won't you have to drop to a shell and mount the hd in an appropriate point on the file system? I didn't think they were recognised immediately.

You need to power-up the Cradle if you have MK1 Gp2x or PowerUp the Gp2x by PSU. I doubt that batteries can provide enogh energy for external HDD
And turn on USB host and Storage in Settings-System menu

I did but i can't see anything on the menu that say harddrive. i can see a green light but nothing that say enternal harddrive in the menu.

Thank you!

Squidge said:
Won't you have to drop to a shell and mount the hd in an appropriate point on the file system? I didn't think they were recognised immediately.

How do i do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tony2k1,

Just got your PM, sorry, had been off for a few days. It's been a month or two, but as I recall, quasist pretty much nailed it. I made an autorun file to help with this you might want to check out:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=625452

To access it, I believe it is the /ext/ drive that will be listed. It's been awhile, now I will have to set it up to check it out. If I was wrong, I'll change this post :)

CJ Maynard said:
Hey Tony2k1,

Just got your PM, sorry, had been off for a few days. It's been a month or two, but as I recall, quasist pretty much nailed it. I made an autorun file to help with this you might want to check out:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=625452

To access it, I believe it is the /ext/ drive that will be listed. It's been awhile, now I will have to set it up to check it out. If I was wrong, I'll change this post :)

U can not view it without a hard drive icon, even it load it will not pop anywhere on the gp2x menu.

Yeah, you still have to access it through one of the existing icons. Go to "game", then when the browser opens, press to the right. You'll see the little icons in the upper-right change until you get to ext. Likewise, I believe you can physically navigate to it by going up folders until you see the ext folder.

BTW, the only reason I am responding here and not via PM is so others with this problem can look it up.

CJ Maynard said:
Yeah, you still have to access it through one of the existing icons. Go to "game", then when the browser opens, press to the right. You'll see the little icons in the upper-right change until you get to ext. Likewise, I believe you can physically navigate to it by going up folders until you see the ext folder.

BTW, the only reason I am responding here and not via PM is so others with this problem can look it up.
I only see the sd-card,build in, and enternal usb device. But once i access all of it i did not see anything pop of? I got firmware 3.0.

What kind icon do u see and i did download the auto thing it work on the controller and keyboard. But harddrive still no icon to acess it.

Hmmm...I'm on an F200, Firmware 4.0...I wonder if there is something different in the displays?

Anyone with 3.0 able to confirm this?

CJ Maynard said:
Hmmm...I'm on an F200, Firmware 4.0...I wonder if there is something different in the displays?

Anyone with 3.0 able to confirm this?

So u say the 4.0 firmware that u got it got a hard drive icon on the menu?

Not on the menu....you still have to go through the "game" section (or movie, or whatever you are looking for), then when the browser opens to select a game (or whatever), you can press to the right and the little icon changes to the "ext" icon. If nothing shows up in that window, you might have to browse up a folder.

Again, you can also just back up one folder until you reach the root, and you should then be able to navigate into the ext folder.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps your hard drive isn't being read right? Also, do you have the base powered as well as the gp2x? At least with an F200, you have to power the base to get power to an external hard drive.

CJ Maynard said:
Not on the menu....you still have to go through the "game" section (or movie, or whatever you are looking for), then when the browser opens to select a game (or whatever), you can press to the right and the little icon changes to the "ext" icon. If nothing shows up in that window, you might have to browse up a folder.

Again, you can also just back up one folder until you reach the root, and you should then be able to navigate into the ext folder.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps your hard drive isn't being read right? Also, do you have the base powered as well as the gp2x? At least with an F200, you have to power the base to get power to an external hard drive.

how do i do a back up folder well i only do the auto run that u say and it really work for the controller and keyboard but not the hard drive because they no icon to access. Yes i got all the power that support the gp2x and the cradle i got it both. If it much easy u can a post a pic up.

Thank you!

2873-console.jpg

Is that what your menu looks like?

If so, I may have to let some one else guide you through it...I am on firmware 4.0, so my menu page is totally different than that. On 4.0, you navigate to the file browser through (for example) "Games", and then you just press over until the little EXT tab is highlighted.

I hope it helps, maybe we can get someone else with Firmware 3.0 to chime in here? I think they are going to be different, so a screencap of mine probably won't help :(

CJ Maynard said:
2873-console.jpg

If so, I may have to let some one else guide you through it...I am on firmware 4.0, so my menu page is totally different than that. On 4.0, you navigate to the file browser through (for example) "Games", and then you just press over until the little EXT tab is highlighted.

I hope it helps, maybe we can get someone else with Firmware 3.0 to chime in here? I think they are going to be different, so a screencap of mine probably won't help :(

I just upgrade to 4.0 so it same as your firmware. I do see the ext but it show blank nothing showing. how do i browse up a folder when it nothing on the ext it showing.

Thank you!

tony2k1 said:
CJ Maynard said:
2873-console.jpg

I just upgrade to 4.0 so it same as your firmware. I do see the ext but it show blank nothing showing. how do i browse up a folder when it nothing on the ext it showing.

Thank you!

I see a ext icon now but it show blank. It a green light on the cradle but nothing it showing it of. Maybe it Ntfl not fat disk? What it your disk format name fat or ntfl?

Thank you!

tony2k1 said:
CJ Maynard said:
2873-console.jpg

Thank you!

I see a ext icon now but it show blank. It a green light on the usb cradle but nothing it showing it of. Maybe it Ntfl not fat disk? What it your disk format name fat or ntfl?

Thank you!

I am pretty certain it is formatted FAT32. You might check that out.

I haven't hooked up the extended system in a while, so I will this afternoon to see what happens and report back with all my info.

Best of luck!

This it kill me i put all my movie and game into a enternal hard drive. Now it not working maybe it the mount thing that the linux won't auto mount only window can. Can someone out there please help.

are your usb hard drive ntfl or fat? Because both of mine hard drive say it ntfl when i click on format the disk.

Why when i try click on format it say only ntfs format no fat or fat 32. I am use iomega 60 enternal usb drive no power needed. I already use software to format to fat 32 but when i click on the format icon it say only ntfs no fat or fat 32. But when i click on the drive it say fat 32. Do anyone have a enternal usb hard drive please help.

Back