European And Australian Ps3 Downgraded!

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Posted on dcemu.co.uk

Sony do it again!

Behold:

When the PS3 is out in Europe and Australia this March, the units sold will have no Emotion Engine like the ones sold in Japan and US. Instead Sony will use emulation software to play back PS2 and PS1 games.

Sony is doing this to cut manufacturing costs but also functionality, as the new version will play fewer games developed for the PlayStation and PS2 than the U.S. and Japanese version. This is an utter disgrace especially the unit sold in Europe and Australia is more costly.

It is time to boycott Sony products. Go buy a Nintendo Wii and/or a XBox 360 instead!

CABBAGES posted on Feb 24 2007 at 11:20 AM said:
ah well ave got a jap ps3 anyway. Was nearly pre ordering a uk one the other day but changed my mind.

What were you gonna do with two? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova posted on Feb 24 2007 at 07:01 AM said:
ah well ave got a jap ps3 anyway. Was nearly pre ordering a uk one the other day but changed my mind.

Yeah cabbages do you just buy every new version of every console just for the hell of it? ;)

Nova posted on Feb 24 2007 at 07:01 AM said:

He has three.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I wonder if they are going to make the switch in the US and Japan, too...

Nova posted on Feb 24 2007 at 06:01 AM said:

He was gonna make one a grill. :D

I think it's a pity as a PS2 and PS1 owner, I still play my PS1 games equally as much as PS2 (on my PS2).

The only interesting thing is that PS2 will be done through software. That's quite some emulation.

I just think it's funny watching the PS3 zealots squirm and act like Sony's just looking out for us with this decision (Example). Possibly Sony will be able to restore as much compatibility as existed with the Emotion Engine built in, but software emulation disappointed on the 360. And with the PS2 being as complex as it is, I fear the same might happen here.

Sony's a sinking ship these days.

EDIT: I also think it's great when that guy says "Why would I want to play crappy last gen?" First, last gen "ended" like three months ago. And I guarantee nothing on the PS3 so far comes close to the great stuff on the PS2 (unless you have a think for giant enemy crabs, of course... ;)).

shinneri posted on Feb 25 2007 at 07:13 AM said:
I just think it's funny watching the PS3 zealots squirm and act like Sony's just looking out for us with this decision (Example). Possibly Sony will be able to restore as much compatibility as existed with the Emotion Engine built in, but software emulation disappointed on the 360. And with the PS2 being as complex as it is, I fear the same might happen here.

Sony's a sinking ship these days.

EDIT: I also think it's great when that guy says "Why would I want to play crappy last gen?" First, last gen "ended" like three months ago. And I guarantee nothing on the PS3 so far comes close to the great stuff on the PS2 (unless you have a think for giant enemy crabs, of course... ;)).

Some idiots also defend this choice saying that the console will "run cooler" without the EE+GS-combination inside, which is obviously total bullshit seeing as they're not doing any processing while it's in PS3-mode - thereby generating no extra heat.

EDIT: Also, about the whole "I'm not buying this console to play previous generation-games", well... while I personally believe the PS2 library mostly consists of crap, there are a few gems I'd want to be able to play in the future. Seeing as my PS2's laser is on its last legs (this is what I refer to as "Sony quality"), I was thinking I'd pick up a PS3 instead of spending money on a replacement PS2 - but considering how they've butchered BC, I'm not so sure anymore.

This would easily be alright if Sony passed their savings on to the customers, but I am sure they have absolutely no intention of doing so, so it isn't.

declaration posted on Feb 25 2007 at 04:43 PM said:
This would easily be alright if Sony passed their savings on to the customers, but I am sure they have absolutely no intention of doing so, so it isn't.
I would disagree. Obviously not now since they have a bit to make-up cost wise, but in the very near future I'm sure we'll see a price drop. I reckon in the next 8-10 months

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 25 2007 at 10:14 PM said:
declaration posted on Feb 25 2007 at 04:43 PM said:
I would disagree. Obviously not now since they have a bit to make-up cost wise, but in the very near future I'm sure we'll see a price drop. I reckon in the next 8-10 months
My point is that Europeans are already expected to pay much more for a console than their US and Japanese counterparts.

A PS3 is the UK is £425. That's $830.

If this change will make console production cheaper, then why the hell are we still expected to pay 200 odd dollars more than the US?

This is the sort of thing which will harm Sony in Europe especially considering MS and Nintendo have been treating Europe fairly well as of late.

Well some of the reasons i thought of getting a uk ps3 were:-

I heard that maybe the Uk ps3 games would be region locked then found out they will be at least £50 while you cna get us and jap games for around £35 (thats including postage)

I thought i might want to watch UK blu ray films then i rememberd i never buy dvds so i very much doubt i will buy blu ray films and if i do i can probably get cheaper us jap ones .

I cant play my uk playstation 1 + 2 games on my ps3 since it only plays ntsc games and actually most my ps2 games need a special ps2 to play them and i still have that sitting next to my ps3 so i dont need my ps3 to play them :)

also since im in the uk it would be nice to be able to use the uk online store but i can only use the us and jap ones just now ( maybe i can change once the uk one comes out )

I genuinely believe that Sony thinks it has Europe all sewn up. Xbox is nowhere near the Playstation in brand terms. I think Sony believes that a shitter product at a much higher price is ok because they have little chance of coming behind the Xbox in Europe.

I can't believe that European consumers are still putting up with this sort of crap.

i know the ps3 is expensive but if you were to buy the extra stuff for the xbox then it would cost around the same as the ps3. I know not everyone wants wireless internet connection or a 60gb hard drive or a blu ray player or a card reader or a controller recharge kit thing. but i think they are all good things and i dont mind paying fo them.

For the xbox 360 Get a Wireless adaptor , a recharge kit , a multi card reader , a HD Player add on thing and a bigger hardrive when they come out and it will be about the same price probbaly more than the ps3.

How much are blu ray players in the uk right now ?

Oh and remember i have a ps3 a wii and a 360 so dont start saying im some sony fanboi thingy. and also i have about 13 or 14 360 games plus lots of ones bought on xbox live and only 4 ps3 games !

CABBAGES posted on Feb 26 2007 at 02:22 PM said:
i know the ps3 is expensive but if you were to buy the extra stuff for the xbox then it would cost around the same as the ps3. I know not everyone wants wireless internet connection or a 60gb hard drive or a blu ray player or a card reader or a controller recharge kit thing. but i think they are all good things and i dont mind paying fo them.

For the xbox 360 Get a Wireless adaptor , a recharge kit , a multi card reader , a HD Player add on thing and a bigger hardrive when they come out and it will be about the same price probbaly more than the ps3.

How much are blu ray players in the uk right now ?

Oh and remember i have a ps3 a wii and a 360 so dont start saying im some sony fanboi thingy. and also i have about 13 or 14 360 games plus lots of ones bought on xbox live and only 4 ps3 games !
I realise that. It's a great thing that WiFi is included in the console. HD and Card Reader too. Not so impressed with the Blu-Ray inclusion though but that is another story.

I am just pissed off with Sony's treatment of the European market. They realise that the xbox is not as big a threat here as over in the States and decide to take the piss. If the console is cheaper to make, pass some savings on to the consumer- dont charge us $200 more for an inferior product.

we get the piss taken out us all the time no matter what it is. I mean even the 360 the games are cheaper if you import them (preferably Non region locked ones ). Wich just seems so stupid to me i remember back in the day of nes and snes you would see adverts for import games and they cost like double the price of the uk games but now its cheaper to import games and you get them sometimes a year earlier than they come out here.

Back