Ever bought a system on the strength of one game alone..?

Xbox to play Halo

Xbox 360 to play Call of Duty 2

PC Engine to play Twin Cobra

Sega Megadrive to play Tatsujin

Spectrum to play Manic Miner

Really wanted a BBC Micro B to play Elite but was too expensive at the time so had to make do with the C64 version which after much delay turned out to be awesome but the BBC version was a lot faster.

I bought a Jaguar for Tempest 2000 and Alien Vs Predator. Never regretted it for a second.

I've bought every Nintendo system purely for Zelda, but every other Nintendo (and 3rd party) game that I've bought/been given has been a massive bonus.

I think i'll do it first time for Xbox One or PS4 and Thief but i need to wait for Thief reviews + overall xb-one vs ps4 user restricting licenses 

Upgrade of my PC for Carmageddon 2 and Oni (most expensive upgrade was an EWS64XL to use for ImpulseTracker, no regrets there)

GBC for Daikatana

GBA for Golden Sun

FF12 PS2 (then started boycotting $ony, so no PS3 or PS4, maybe second hand to play "The last of us", once I have more time, which does not look like soon). shadow of the collosus would also be one contender. Still have not finished the last boss... after reading on the internet that you *spoiler* become one, I just refused to kill the last one.

OpenPandora to relive emulation. Killer app would be Linux, in this case, though.

Ratchet and Clank on PS2. 11 years later and I still have the original copy sat here next to me. I could probably play through it blindfolded  :lol:

twice already:

• Xbox360 for Halo 3
    Played Halo CE on the PC, and bought Halo 2 on the first day, borrowing my brother in laws xbox for a weekend
  • WiiU for Lego City Undercover
    I know its stupid, but I got a bonus and thought "what the heck"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lego City on WiiU is a really fab and fun game. I beat it 100% and loved every minute. Even better was that I got the game for having a letter published in a Nintendo mag. :D

Lego City on WiiU is a really fab and fun game. I beat it 100% and loved every minute. Even better was that I got the game for having a letter published in a Nintendo mag. :D
How cool ist that :eek: But I'm no 100% guy (I did it, but getting some things was rather cumbersome), but all in all, it is my personal game of the year 2013

N64 for Mario 64.

That was my last stationary console.

Upgraded my PC for Gothic 2 (good choice!).

I bought my Wii U ultimately for the Super Mario Bros U game.

I can't afford to get myself a PS4 yet, I wanted to get one for Watch Dogs game...

...If I don't have one by time the new Strider game is released, I will by hook or by crook get me a PS4 for that. I cant wait to play that game

First thing that came in my mind as I've read that topic: "Stupid. No one does such a thing".

Then I remembered: I do such a thing.

I bought my PSP because of Dissidia (012).

First thing that came in my mind as I've read that topic: "Stupid. No one does such a thing".
Actually this is a very widespread phenomenon. If you look at lifetime sales of consoles, usually you see that there are "spikes" of sales and they are directly linked to certain titles being released. That's why console makers want to have exclusive games so much : they know it helps them to establish the installed base :)

I was hosting a Street Fighter IV tournament at my house - then they decided to delay the PC release; in order to not disappoint my friends, I looked at a XB360 and a PS3. I settled on the Xbox360 - mainly because more of my friends had one than a PS3. I don't regret it, it showed me Trials HD and a few other indie games. Actually, I loved the Indie section more than disc based games.

Still, the Xbox has been packed up now for what must be nearly a year, but it was worth it.

I bought a Game Cube just for Resident Evil Remake and a PS2 (intentionally) just for Time Crisis 2 (loved the arcade). My decision for preordering a Xbox360 relied solely on early anouncement of TES4: Oblivion and waiting for the game to be released finally was a bit like the wait for my Pandy. I got my Dreamcast not solely but very much for House of the Dead 2 (again: loved the arcade). I wanted my first Xbox mainly for Metal Gear Solid 2 (more features than PS2 version plus I disliked the PS2 back then).

Apart from these I didn't really have any specific titles in mind but the systems themselves (GameBoy, GameGear, VCS 2600, NES, SNES, PSX, N64, GP2x, PSP, NDS, 3DS, Dingoo, NVIDIA Shield).

Finally, I never played a single game on my PS3 (just needed a cheap BlueRay-Player back then) and I'm still waiting for a PS Vita game worth investing both my money and my time while the system itself collects dust from the first day.

Back