Experience with Dreamcast SD-card readers

TeDaDeS

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
I've seen sd-card readers for the Dreamcast, does anyone have experience with these?

My second dreamcast sometimes stops the GD-ROM during gameplay, this might make this Dreamcast usable again.
Or if anyone have a tip to get this fixed, i could try that.

Attachments

• dreamcast.jpg
    dreamcast.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 246
I have one. The compatibility is not real great and the loading speed is very slow. Have you seen the USB-GDROM or GDEmu? They replace the GD-ROM drive but they are a lot more expensive than the sd adapters. I have been thinking of getting one of them for a while but now there is an open source drive emulator people are working on so I have been waiting to see how that one goes.

I bought one long ago, but never got around to actually figuring out how to use it. Mostly because all the games I really want to play I own or play fine on a burned CD.

I considered getting one to rip my games to isos, but apparently it's slow as all hell, and over those sort of timespans, has a tendency to drop the connection.

I have a HIT-0300 lan-adapter, but that doesn't work with any games. It might work with the software used for the sdcard reader, same slow speed though (max. 1,25MB/s).

It was expensive because they are realy Rare now.
Ouch, that's almost as much as I paid for my Dreamcast in the first place! Thanks for the link though.

I heard a rumour that some DVD-ROM drives can read GD-ROMS, and that support for it went into the mainline Linux kernel some years ago, but I tried a GD-ROM in both of the drives in my arch linux build server, and neither of them would detect a disc was inserted.

I have a HIT-0300 lan-adapter, but that doesn't work with any games. It might work with the software used for the sdcard reader, same slow speed though (max. 1,25MB/s).
Yes afaik this one have only 10Mbit...the other one like Hit401 have 10/100Mbit.
You can try it with Dreamshell and a Nas to run Games over Network..should be even a little faster than this SD Adapters.

Maybe i can post this Evening a Link for repairing/fixing your Dreamcast because i am in a ConsoleModder Forum named CircuitBoard Portal too and maybe its a simple Fix.
Links come this Evening :D

Ouch, that's almost as much as I paid for my Dreamcast in the first place! Thanks for the link though.

I heard a rumour that some DVD-ROM drives can read GD-ROMS, and that support for it went into the mainline Linux kernel some years ago, but I tried a GD-ROM in both of the drives in my arch linux build server, and neither of them would detect a disc was inserted.
Oh it is in the Linux Kernel?
Nice Information,thanks.
When you want to buy an Broadband Adapter for Dreamcast you can use the Japaneses without Problems too..but beware the Type Hit-300 is very slow.

Sounds like something that would work.

The hit-400/401 are identical btw, I think the 401 was the number used for the manual or something and the device itself is 400.
When I got the lan-adapter there was a sale on the US dreamcast site, but as I did not live there I ordered one from japan, it did not specify the type. So I've haven't used it much.
I wanted to use it to play quake or unreal online (vs. pc).

I would assume there is a list of supported DVD players that can read GD-ROMs, mine didn't work.

Back