Experimental Blu+ Support For Osnes9xgp

Khaos

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Well, after some (many) weeks of efforts, I finnaly achieved a recompilation of osnes9xGP 0.3 (thanks YoyoFr for his answers !), with added BLU+ support. The code try to autodetect wether it is running on a BLU+ (from the BIOS version). If this fails, one can still forces the detection via an option in the video submenu.

Since I
- converted the asm code from ADS asm to GNU asm syntax (no handy ADS compiler),
- did some horrible things to the code in order to bypass some memory problems,
- never developed on GP32 before,
- only tried it on my BLU+,
don't get your hopes too high, there might be some problems :D

Try and see...

Khaos.
View attachment 230

Thats excellent news! I may not be an owner of a blu+ (origional BLU here), but your efforts are much appreciated. Sorry I can't try this out

thanks

OMG!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I LOVE YOU, Khaos!!!!!!

I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 with it right now, and I'm not seeing any problems yet... If I find any, I'll let you know.

Thanks Chaos,

I have been waiting for a BLU+ Snes. Shame I cannot code.

I will try this, and let you know

cheers again

Tarka

Good work..
Do you think you could add a few new clockspeeds into it, too ? :>

So, does this work?

if so, we could kindly ask Khaos, if he would be able to add more clockspeeds, since he was able to successfully compile it.

Yes, it works, As I already said, I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on it right now... I've been playing for at least 15 minutes, and I have yet to see a single problem with it. Everybody with a BLU+, give it a try!

OMG
downloading right now

[edit]
Khaos posted on May 17 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
don't get your hopes too high, there might be some problems :D
looks like your try to bypass memory problems caused some other mem problems:
instead of launching, I get "out of memory" errors for every rom i try (roms < 4 mb)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it works, As I already said, I'm playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on it right now... I've been playing for at least 15 minutes, and I have yet to see a single problem with it. Everybody with a BLU+, give it a try!

well, I'm guessing that if it does have problems it would be with a different game then.. not the one you already know works..anyway..

nice job Khaos.. People have been bitchin' for as BLU+ version forever :lol:

Okay, am I the first one having problems with this?

It runs, menu is displayed correctly on BLU+ (though the emulator also runs on BLU+ mode when I start it up on my NLU, so the check doesn't work correctly).

But when I select a rom, the "Loading Game" bar freezes - the characters are bold white, the bar looks a bit garbled.

I first thought of a faulty SMC, but I have the same problem on 2 freshly formatted SMCs - and the ORIGINAL OpenSNES9x v0.3 runs fine (except for the white BLU bar) using the same two SMCs...

Any ideas?

Hmmm... what games are you trying to play with it? only have a few on my card(i don't play that much SNES, mostly NES), and I only actually tested it with Seiken Densetsu 3. I'll test it with Chrono Trigger, Zelda 3, and Kirby's Dreamcourse too... then I'll let you know what I find.

One quick question though... I'm not trying to imply that I think you're stupid or insult your intelligence or anything like that, but the problems you are experiencing are on your BLU, correct? Also, you didn't change the BIOS, did you? Cuz he said it detects whether or not it's BLU in the BIOS somehow... i don't know exactly what info is in the BIOS, or how things are changed from one BIOS to another, but is it possible that the BIOS has something to do with it(if you changed it, that is)? Other than that, I can't really think of anything that would cause those problems.

Alright, I've just tested Zelda 3, Kirby's Dream Course, and Chrono Trigger... not a single problem. The first time I tried to load Zelda 3, it delayed a bit. I assumed it froze and restarted my GP32, but the 2nd time it loaded perfectly, and i don't see any errors at all. I have no idea what would be causing your problems, EvilDragon.

Tried Seiken Densetsu 3, Magical Drop 2 and E.V.O.

Always freezes when I try to load it (and I waited 5 minutes...)

Same problem with:
GP32 NLU with European Firmware
GP32 BLU+ with Slubman

On both the original OSnes9x works fine on the same SMC.

Just to make absolutely sure, the european firmware is the one that just has "play" and "PC link" with that bouncing GP32 logo that looks like a ball when it starts up, correct?

If so, that's what I have, and that's really weird, because it works perfectly fine for me. Perhaps if Khaos could provide the source code of his modified osnes9xgp, some other developer could take a look at it, isolate the problem, and fix it.

*EDIT*

Hey, I just thought of something. I remember when I first got my Gp32, and I was trying to find good emulators for each system, and when I tried different versions of OSNES9XGP, I noticed that if you have 2 versions of it on your card at the same time, for some reason, neither one wants to work right. I never got to the point where I could load games like that, but maybe that's the problem. If you haven't already tried it, try taking the older version off and run it with just the BLU+ version of osnes9xgp on the card. if that doesn't work, then I have no idea.

Back