Experimental Sdhc Support For Gp2x

sething said:
would this SDHC support work with firmware 3? im just about to buy an 8 gig card if it works for 3.
any info would be appreciated
-Seth
The SDHC support is done by the community and it's not in a fully tested state just yet. There seems to only be a handful of people using Notaz’s or my Open2x patched kernels with SDHC’s at the moment.

The existing patches are for the 2.1.* kernel and any recent Open2x kernel (it's been in Open2x SVN for quite some time now). GPH have shown no desire to add the patches to there kernel (and did not reply to my mails about it) or offer help us refine/develop the patches so no it is not supported in FW3 from GPH ;).

I could do some work to add the patches from Open2x to FW3 but in fairness I do not see myself doing that anytime soon.

You can use a current Open2x kernel with a GPH 2 or 3 filesystem if you want to but this needs a little thought before you just flash it over the top. I will pop an article on the Open2x WiKi about that at some point as it can be a useful way to test parts of the Open2x firmware without the need to reflash the complete firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is weird my :gp2x with this patch allows the gp2x to interally write files but using a true sdhc write means when i put the card in gp2x it cannot see these files but can see ones it made its self this is a bog standard 4 GB class 4 from play .com
ideas people?

netsurf3 said:
this is weird my :gp2x with this patch allows the gp2x to interally write files but using a true sdhc write means when i put the card in gp2x it cannot see these files but can see ones it made its self this is a bog standard 4 GB class 4 from play .com
ideas people?
Well lets see, more info on the card would be good, make, model etc. (rather then just a 'Play.Com' special).

With SDHC there is no such thing as 'bog standard' ;).

What results do you get using an SDHC reader?

John

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic.../-/Product.html
this is all i do have to go on i am afraid!
dmesg of detection:
CODE
SCSI device sda: 7864320 512-byte hdwr sectors (4027 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 7864320 512-byte hdwr sectors (4027 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1

the gp2x can write to this but it is strange. i copied velkar demo from my nand onto this when it was in my gp2x with firmware flashed, the velkar demo copied successfuly and i can play this game of the sd, problem is when i bought this sdhc reader/writer for my pc (sandisk 5in1 usb 2.0 card reader/writer) it cannot see velkar nor can the gp2x see the files put on by this reader! so it appears that the gp2x is writing in a different way to the card reader or some such.

i have tested the data on the card once written on a windows and linux machine using this card reader. it can view the stuff which it has written but not gp2x and vice versa which is strange..

although i doubt you'll need it here is the sandisk card reader lsusb: Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0781:b6b7 SanDisk Corp.
that is really all the information that i can provide to you i hope you can help

EDIT-----
just checked a suspicion and it appears that the SD card is not mounted at all in otherwords when the file is copied to the sd card it is just copied to the /disk/sd folder on the nand. shame. :(

looks like it doesn't like your card and you were just copying to unmounted directory. I can't do much without the actual card, you will have to wait for Open2x.

I just used this method to flash my gp2x using firmware 2.1.1 and now my 4GB ScanDisk SDHC card works ..... Thank You so much for this :) Bud

Yep 16GB cards can be ordered already for beta testing from the Japan factories - £1000 each!

Of course that is because they are pre-mass production.

Price is supposed to be a decent ~£100 later in the year.

My laptop is only 18GB :eek:

-Craig

Is this patch able to work with Firmware 3.0.0. Or is this firmware so different and it doesn't work? Thanks for answer. :D :gp2x

GOS said:
Is this patch able to work with Firmware 3.0.0. Or is this firmware so different and it doesn't work? Thanks for answer. :D :gp2x
If you can compile your own kernel and apply a patch you can get Notaz's patch going on the FW3 codebase.

Failing that, you could just build the latest Open2x kernel and use that with the stock GP2X filesystem and test the Open2x SDHC support.

I have three 8 gb sdhc cards and they all work with notaz sdhc support. The cards are OCZ 8 GB class 4, A-data 8 gig class 2 and Transcend 8 GB class 2 cards.

Well I Just bought an el-cheapo 4gb SDHC from Tesco (Tesco Branded)

Tested it with the kernel above and it works just fine. Audio & Video playback and applications work perfectly.

Now I am a happy bunny :D

Kind Regard

Craig
Galway, Ireland

So what is the status of this patch? Is is reliable with 8 gig cards? Does flashing to this kernal effect boot times? Does everything work with it. I know about open 2X but I would like to use this now. Which 8 gig cards work best with this?

Well I am forever in debt to you! I did buy a 4GB and a 8GB sd card without knowing the gp2x was not supporting SDHC and when I got them I formated them and plugged them in to my gp2x and I noticed it diden't work and then I started to read about SDHC and found this thread and you saved me both my cards work fine, everything works! reading it on the gp2x finding it on the pc (both windows and linux) writing on the gp2x and also writing from the pc. Thank you!

the cards are the following_
TwinMOS Secure Digital 4096MB SDHC, Class2, SD2.0 specification
TwinMOS Secure Digital 8192MB SDHC, Class6, SD2.0 specification

The cards where pree formated in FAT32
The 4GB card cost 45€ and the 8GB card cost 75€ and shipment to sweden went on 8€
well im sure you can find these cards lots cheeper on other places but ive bought lots trough the years from them so im sticking there :)

Both works flawless :D
add them to the support list on wiki thanks.

//som99

Guys,
hi just got my GP2X so please live with me just now, I have looked extensivley through all the threads regarding this subject ,I have a Toshiba 4gb SDHC card to get this to work and for future would/could somebody please give me instructions how to

1. find the file to add
2. step by step instructions ( a real idiots guide please ;)

I have worked out a lot for myself already on this great machine but was looking for just a little help on this issue,

ps im running FW3.00

cheers in advance guys

dunnster said:
Guys,
hi just got my GP2X so please live with me just now, I have looked extensivley through all the threads regarding this subject ,I have a Toshiba 4gb SDHC card to get this to work and for future would/could somebody please give me instructions how to

1. find the file to add

I have worked out a lot for myself already on this great machine but was looking for just a little help on this issue,

ps im running FW3.00

cheers in advance guys
OK, you'll have to live with firmware 2.1.1 after you're done with this. (3.0 just seems to be 2.1.1 with slower startup times :lol: )

Read all of these instructions once before you begin. (I'm not resposible for the untimely demise of your GP2X, either. :) )

Pre-work setup:
You'll need some new/fresh rechabgable batteries, and a non-SDHC SD card (2GB or lower in size).

Step 1:
Download firmware 2.0 from the archive here.

Step2:
Put your non-SDHC SD card in your card reader. And plug the reader into your computer.

Copy everything from the card to your computer. The next part will erase everything on the card!

Format the non-SDHC SD card as FAT. (Go to My Computer, right-click on the drive letter that represents your card, then choose format. Choose FAT in the "File System..." drop-down box, and press "Start".)

Step 3:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card. Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 4:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up.

Step 5:
Format the non-SDHC SD card (again), or just delete all of the files.

Step 6:
Download firmware 2.1.1 from the archive here.

Step 7:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card (again). Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 8:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (Yes, you need to do this again.)

Step 9:
Delete all of the files off of your non-SDHC SD card again.

Step 10:
Get notaz's patched firmware here.

Step 11:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy only gp2xkernel.img to the non-SDHC SD card (again again :) ). Don't put the file in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 12:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (This is the last time, I promise. :p )

Step 13:
Delete all of the files from your non-SDHC SD card, and put all of the files that you want to use on your SDHC card.

Step 14:
Plug in you SDHC card, and hope/pray/whatever-you-do that you SD card works.

(Sorry if my writing sounded insulting, I tried to write it for a "real idiot". :D )

rememberthe8bit said:
dunnster said:
Guys,

1. find the file to add

ps im running FW3.00

cheers in advance guys
OK, you'll have to live with firmware 2.1.1 after you're done with this. (3.0 just seems to be 2.1.1 with slower startup times :lol: )

Read all of these instructions once before you begin. (I'm not resposible for the untimely demise of your GP2X, either. :) )

Pre-work setup:
You'll need some new/fresh rechabgable batteries, and a non-SDHC SD card (2GB or lower in size).

Step 1:
Download firmware 2.0 from the archive here.

Step2:
Put your non-SDHC SD card in your card reader. And plug the reader into your computer.

Copy everything from the card to your computer. The next part will erase everything on the card!

Format the non-SDHC SD card as FAT. (Go to My Computer, right-click on the drive letter that represents your card, then choose format. Choose FAT in the "File System..." drop-down box, and press "Start".)

Step 3:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card. Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 4:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up.

Step 5:
Format the non-SDHC SD card (again), or just delete all of the files.

Step 6:
Download firmware 2.1.1 from the archive here.

Step 7:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card (again). Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 8:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (Yes, you need to do this again.)

Step 9:
Delete all of the files off of your non-SDHC SD card again.

Step 10:
Get notaz's patched firmware here.

Step 11:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy only gp2xkernel.img to the non-SDHC SD card (again again :) ). Don't put the file in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 12:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (This is the last time, I promise. :p )

Step 13:
Delete all of the files from your non-SDHC SD card, and put all of the files that you want to use on your SDHC card.

Step 14:
Plug in you SDHC card, and hope/pray/whatever-you-do that you SD card works.

(Sorry if my writing sounded insulting, I tried to write it for a "real idiot". :D )

Thats fantastic many thanks I will give this a bash, I wont get the chance till the end of the wwek though but it looks like even I will understand it.

Is there a big diffrence between the firmware 3.0 and 2.1.1 ?

once again many thanks

dunnster said:
Thats fantastic many thanks I will give this a bash, I wont get the chance till the end of the wwek though but it looks like even I will understand it.

Is there a big diffrence between the firmware 3.0 and 2.1.1 ?

once again many thanks
You're very much welcome!

According to this page on Gamepark Holdings' website...

Update Details
-------------------------
1. User Interface Change
a ) Utility menu has been changed to Help menu
b ) Help menu accesses video tutorial of GP2X console
2. Limited access to NAND memory
3. 5 games included in the NAND memory for GP2X Value Pack purchased users.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So, in my opinion, nothing worthwhile has changed. The boot time is significantly slower, though.

Back