Explanation From Gph

Thanks for the link, it's amazing how many of those names were already registered.

I like how, in the second one, he says how it was changed to GP2X but then continues to call the console GPX2.

I doubt anyone would see the it as the successor of a printer, sure, technically there is problem but I would be surprised if the owner of the GPX name would object. And I must say, seeing the competing names I don't think GP2X is that bad.

Amazing how well they listen, I don't think I can recall any other company allowing this much community participation in the development process. They are even apologising! Big thumbs up for GPH, if they'd called it GPenis I'd still buy it off a this cool company. :)

Moogle posted on Sep 3 2005 at 03:53 PM said:
And I must say, seeing the competing names I don't think GP2X is that bad.

My thoughts exactly. There are a few decent suggestions but none that really stand out IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arcadia is maybe also a registered name.
there was a old console called arcadia...

But doesn't the guy from gpx2.com says that
this is "HIS" list???
"Those names that i chose were :...."

So maybe the had a bigger list!! :huh:

It may sound strange, but I'm kinda glad they didn't choose a name from the contest. I wanted to be able to call this a GP-something, whatever that something may be. GP2X doesn't sound bad at all. It's just as good as GPX2. In my mind, the name meant "GP times two", and the new name "GP two times" means the same thing. :)

If they chose something from the contest, there was the risk that it wouldn't be a GP and that sentimental value that GP has (which comes from the GP32) would be lost. I mean, some of those names were really cool, but I'd just be a bit sad if the "GP" part of the name was lost. :(

Well anyway, that may sound mondo weird, but yeah, that's how I feel. :)

I must say, thinking about it, I seem to remember that when I was attempting to buy a synthasizer, Yamaha's best of the bunch at the time was something called an EX7 (could be wrong, but the story still works). I looked on the net and seemed to find something of the same name, to get an idea of a decent price. So we went to a synth store and found that the thing should cost about £3k; what I'd found was in fact a CD drive of some description - obviously a lot cheaper, of course.

Never did end up getting that synth (obviously - waaaay too pricey; got a CS1x instead if you're interested) but clearly if its OK in that sense, the chances are GPH wouldn't have gotten in too much shit if they'd simply left the name the same.

I suppose the issue though in their case is that they can't afford to risk leaving the possibility...

wasnt their a GPS device called a GP32 ??? I alwasy remember searching Ebay and getting a "GP32 GPS Device" up for something like €399...

damn, someone won a GP2X for just changing the end 2 digits of its original name around!!! :p seems like little work for a £100 reward :p LOL

Actually, more specifically he won for choosing a name that GPH had no choice but to use because all the other good choices were tradmarked in Korea.

Back