Ext Port And Rs232

urjaman said:
atari_eric said:
Also, I guess I meant UARTs, not necessarily RS232 voltages. What I want runs with TTL voltages anyway - it should be a direct connect, hopefully.
Unless you want to connect pandora to some MCU that has 1.8V IO voltages*, you'll still need to level convert them. Still, its just a single chip.

*:
OMAPs
Atmel XMegas at 1.8V (12Mhz)
Propably other ARM SOCs, i dunno.

But actually, theres not a lot of hobby class stuff that runs at 1.8V.

EDIT: Oh and I would pay to get one or two of these connectors included in the box. AND if there is just a dozen of people who want this, I think that it wouldnt be too much to ask (not many packages to special-case), if they already have the connectors.

Oh. I thought I read it was TTL level (I need ~3.3V level voltages) - meh. If I need to convert anyway, it might be easier to do what I want to do on my desktop...

Last edited by a moderator:
Zotty said:
Did anyone bother to ask OPT yet?

"At the moment we don't offer the EXT port or serial boards for sale seperately."
Dated Jan-5-10

I know it's supposed to be taboo to resurrect old topics... which is something I'll NEVER understand on ANY forums. I mean, how is it better to make a NEW topic rather than dig up the 6 month old one? Maybe it's easier on the databases? Maybe someone could clarify this for me.

In the mean time, I personally would like to continue this discussion but it seems this thread is more suited to the Hardware Hacking subforum now that we have it.

Maybe a kind moderator would like to move it over there so we can pick this topic back up without fear of retaliation?

^ It's not taboo to bump old threads. I fail to see why this should be in the hardware hacking section though. RS232 on the Ext port has been discussed quite often already and I suppose most info can be found on the Wiki and in the Hacker's manual. When someone starts an actual project he can post over there.

mitosis said:
I know it's supposed to be taboo to resurrect old topics... which is something I'll NEVER understand on ANY forums. I mean, how is it better to make a NEW topic rather than dig up the 6 month old one? Maybe it's easier on the databases? Maybe someone could clarify this for me.
Simple: if you resurrect an old thread, people who haven't seen it or may not remember it will respond to it as if it were new without recognizing the dates. They'll see a post about something from 8 months ago, think it was a new post, and either (i) insult the person for being wrong (which they probably weren't 8 months ago) or (ii) become excited about information that is no longer relevant. And then it spawns further argument and anger and insults about checking dates. If you start a new thread and link to the old one, this is avoided entirely.
Not every thread, of course. Some threads can easily be resurrected without fear of misinformation, but choosing which thread is not a powder keg waiting to go off can be tricky. Easier to place a full ban on the practice of resurrecting topics than to try and sort them and hope for the best.

Hmmm. Yeah. A connector that is available from somewhere like farnell, RS or digikey would have been handy. However, there are a few sites that say they have it in stock and appear to take orders for single quantities, although they all require you to get a 'quote' before letting you know the price, and also you may have to put down company details. Not simple... but I guess accomodating modders wasn't a major priority for MW when designing, especially as they can always stock and sell them from gbax or somewhere.

mali said:
When someone starts an actual project he can post over there.

I'll have to do just that :D

WizardStan said:
Simple: if you resurrect an old thread, people who haven't seen it or may not remember it will respond to it as if it were new without recognizing the dates. They'll see a post about something from 8 months ago, think it was a new post, and either (i) insult the person for being wrong (which they probably weren't 8 months ago) or (ii) become excited about information that is no longer relevant. And then it spawns further argument and anger and insults about checking dates. If you start a new thread and link to the old one, this is avoided entirely.
Not every thread, of course. Some threads can easily be resurrected without fear of misinformation, but choosing which thread is not a powder keg waiting to go off can be tricky. Easier to place a full ban on the practice of resurrecting topics than to try and sort them and hope for the best.

Cool, yeah thanks for clarifying that for me... makes sense now.

Well... I don't have my Pandora yet, but seeing as the hacker's manual has been released and the OMAP3530 datasheets can be found quite easily, I was going to get a head start on the design aspects of an internal RS-232 mod. I NOW realize that this thread really isn't even the proper place, as I don't think I even understood what it was really for when I posted in it a few months ago.

This thread: RS-232 via the EXT port and/or the availability of extra EXT connectors.

Not this thread: RS-232 modded internally to the Pandora.

So anyway... I guess this topic can just crawl off and die in the lonely corner where threads go to die. It kinda reminds me of Dinotopia, how the dinosaurs would crawl off to that cave to die so they didn't have to be a burden on society in their old age... except instead of dinosaurs we've got topics. :D

Back