External Drive For Pandora

tds48

Yep ... got one cheap, tried it and it WORKS (without a hub) ! LOL - Cool little ipod icon on the desktop !

Which then brings me to my next question - Is there a linux app that we can port to sync to the ipod?

(Dont get my wrong it is my main intention to use it as a hard drive, but it would be nice to put a little music on it (the ipod) from my pandora!)

Regards

The issue with ipods-to-linux is Apple, of course ;) Aside of apps tieing direct into Apple's dll's (not kocher, and a pita), the protocols and devices are ever-changing, so whenever theres a firmware update for a device, the open source libs must be adjusted to fit .. so its always a cat and mouse game, with Apple relasing an update and a couple months of odd and then eveyrthing being good again.

(ie: for instance right now, with iphone and itouch iOS 4.x, the databases are arranged a little differently in the device, so most open source sync tool can send/get music to the device, but the device may not see it properly, and wonm't see it right away; do a device reboot and it likely will see the music. Stuff like that will happen a lot, due to it being closed source devices without Apple support)

jeff

skeezix said:
The issue with ipods-to-linux is Apple, of course ;) Aside of apps tieing direct into Apple's dll's (not kocher, and a pita), the protocols and devices are ever-changing, so whenever theres a firmware update for a device, the open source libs must be adjusted to fit .. so its always a cat and mouse game, with Apple relasing an update and a couple months of odd and then eveyrthing being good again.

(ie: for instance right now, with iphone and itouch iOS 4.x, the databases are arranged a little differently in the device, so most open source sync tool can send/get music to the device, but the device may not see it properly, and wonm't see it right away; do a device reboot and it likely will see the music. Stuff like that will happen a lot, due to it being closed source devices without Apple support)

jeff

skeezix, thanks for the explanation. Yep Ill keep it as a little backup drive and sync off of my netbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted to go barebones with it an not care about the ipod hardware/firmware take the drive out get an enclosure. I have a ZIF drive taken from an ipod in an enclosure. They're like $3 on ebay.. The 1.8mm ZIF formfactor drives do not need any additional power whatsoever and battery drain is less than I expected with the Pandora. The drives have a small profile and wouldn't take hardly any room in your kit's bag, plus it looks kind of cool.

Miner49er said:
I would forget iTunes and just install rockbox on it personally...

Rockbox doesn't support any recent iPods. Some form of hardware protection on Apple's part pretty much terminated that idea a few years back.

Maybe not the latest, but quite some iPods can run rockbox. http://build.rockbox.org/

Sorry to contradict you again here, but look- the latest one rockbox supports is about 3-4 years old.
We're talking about a product line which is designed to be replaced every year or two.

Apple don't even sell a single rockbox-compatible ipod anymore.

fearofshorts said:

Almost none of the rockbox capable devices are new. They need to be hacked before it is possible to port rockbox to it, and that can take years. One of the few recent rockbox capable devices is the Sansa Clip (+), but there was a time (not that long ago) I could not find any mp3 player newly produced and rockbox ready without Apple logo. I bought a couple of referbished Sansa E260 v1 on ebay then.

So TheDarkSpectrum48K could be lucky if he bought a refurbished or 2nd hand iPod, and else it doesn't hurt to check the rockbox forum or site for updates from time to time. Rockbox as an app can also be interesting.

BTW you may always contradict me, I love a good discussion as long as you don't ask me to shut up :)

b_o_b said:
fearofshorts said:

Almost none of the rockbox capable devices are new. They need to be hacked before it is possible to port rockbox to it, and that can take years. One of the few recent rockbox capable devices is the Sansa Clip (+), but there was a time (not that long ago) I could not find any mp3 player newly produced and rockbox ready without Apple logo. I bought a couple of referbished Sansa E260 v1 on ebay then.

So TheDarkSpectrum48K could be lucky if he bought a refurbished or 2nd hand iPod, and else it doesn't hurt to check the rockbox forum or site for updates from time to time. Rockbox as an app can also be interesting.

BTW you may always contradict me, I love a good discussion as long as you don't ask me to shut up :)

Well ... I think im ok :)

Its a Revision 1 Gen 5 Ipod Video 80gb? From the rockbox site, I think im ok ? Can someone confirm (who knows more) please

I wonder if anyone has attempted rockbox on any archos devices newer than the PMA 420 (which I have sitting around here somewhere and will probably be looking to sell)...

Finding info on that is pretty scarce at the moment...

Back