Extremely Dissapointed After Buying Dingoo

Hi folks ! :D

I recently bought a Dingoo too. With the dollar->euro conversion rate, it only cost me 60 euros and I'm very satisfied of it B)

It fits in my pocket and I can take my music, movies and games on it. What more should I expect ?

Back to the original topic, I don't think it's shoddy. Actually, I'd rather say that it's quite well build. And I love those little cushions on the back of the device ;)
Maybe splatbert isn't aware about the custom firmware by POF ? the one here ?

The only thing I'd regret about the A320 is that the screen is a bit too bright, even at the minimum setting.

I really love how the original OS and Dingux fit together. Dingux is getting more and more mature, being my default, cause of fba, picodrive, scummvm, giana-games, openbor and psx4all. Original OS has the movie-player and gba.

For me, the dingoo is something you need to get into. You have to discover it and learn what's available and the best tool for it's job.
For retro-gaming and as a pmp, it's doing a fantastic job. Never expected it to be a better psp.

GunPei2X said:
Derek said:
I have been eyeing the Dingoo for a while but my PSP seems to be able to do all it can do and a little more and better. I have a PSP1000 that can run homebrew. I haven't really been keeping up with the homebrew scene of Dingoo or the PSP for that matter so I don't know which homebrew scene is better. What do you guys think, is a homebrew enabled PSP better then the Dingoo?

Aside from the obvious difference of commercial games and a bigger homebrew scene for the PSP, I think it goes down to:

* size factor
* battery life
* controls

For me, the advantages Dingoo has in those areas outweighs the better homebrew scene and commercial games of the PSP. Mileage will vary. Oh, and I suppose a cheap 2nd hand PSP is not much more expensive than a Dingoo these days? Otherwise cost would be another factor.
How are the controls on the Dingoo? I think the PSP controls are pretty good. Battery life is not an issue as I have the bigger battery made by Datel. The 3600mah battery! But that brings the other thing you mention to being a problem, size factor! The battery is huge!

What is the highest end emulator that the Dingoo can run without frameskip? SNES on PSP some games will run decent without frameskip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derek said:
How are the controls on the Dingoo? I think the PSP controls are pretty good.

I've never liked the PSP's controls, sorry. The Dingoo's are pretty much spot on for me.

Ok, sorry for going there... in my defense I will go with the words of Zap Brannigan!

"I suffer from a very sexy learning disorder, what do I call it Kif?"

"Ughhh, sex-lexia..."

And now, on topic, the dingoo seems very cool for what it is (a cheap PMP with gaming abilities), and a few years ago we would've all dug in and made it our home, but maybe too little too late now?

Dingoo is designed first and foremost as a small, cheap PMP with reasonable emulation capabilities and good battery life.
It has added bonus of homebrew blessed by the manufacturers.

That being said, if you already have a Wiz a dingoo might be disappointing. This also might be true if you already have a "hacked" PSP, although the PSP is comparatively huge and has pretty poor battery life.

I bought one to try to encourage myself to write more homebrew, but sadly work has sucked me in, and also it doesn't seem to be trivial to just set up a dev environment on my linux box, which is extremely simple to do for the PSP.

slaanesh said:
Kalisiin said:
Anyway...shortly after that, the fucking 8-track broke, and I could never manage to get the goddam thing fixed...you couldn't get parts for it anymore. And there went 400 bucks of slave labor right down the fucking toilet.

I've never forgotten that.

At least you don't sound too bitter about it. Although I think that 4x identical Dingoos is excessive. Are they at least different versions? White/Black/No-Paw variants?

I often buy different versions of the same handheld. For instance I have a NLU, FLU, BLU and BLU+ GP32. I also have a GP2X F-100 1st and 2nd and the white F-200. I recently got a Wiz but haven't used it much still. (Sorry DaveC, that secret build is still coming ;) )
Like DaveC, I tend to buy only 1x commercial handheld but I do have 2x DS as my wife has permanently borrowed one. I'm stuck with the Phat DS - which I prefer anyway. It's more manly. <_<

Anyway, back to the topic. The Dingoo isn't for everyone. Yes, it's kind of cheap in look and feel but I think it's very good considering.

I still remember when I first opened up my very first GP32 back in 2003 (or whenever it was). I was a bit disappointed initially thinking that the build quality was no way as good as other commercial handhelds at the time. ie. GBA

But it's good enough for it's money so I think it's a winner.

yep..... for half the prize of a wiz it wins big time... it is just a littel more work to get linux and the good apps (mame, FBA wink wink) running...
in fact i gave my trusty ol gp2x to my bro (the gp2x just felt clumsy compared to the sleek dingoo )

I like the controls on the Dingoo, except that, there are times I would wish for a bit more D-Pad sensitivity.

Sometimes, especially on faster games...like, for example, even Pac-Man...there's times I could SWEAR I pressed for Pac to go down, but he didn't go down, and, as a result got eaten...which tends to piss me off.

I ended up giving my DSi to my 63 year old mom...she plays with it now. I loaded up an Acekard with all the sorts of games that would appeal to her...plus a Homebrew program that will carry the Bible on it (she has a Bible Study class, I thought this would be nice for her to have)

I kept my DS Lites.

I just warned my mom, never hook up to the 'Net with the DSi, and, if you do, NEVER accept any update Nintendo wants you to do. Ninty is NEVER up to any good when they want to "update" you.

I had a GP2X F-200 when I got my Dingoo. Got it to pass the time waiting for Pandora.

Once I got the Dingoo, I quickly sold my GP2X, once MAME happened, I was totally content on it as a replacement for the GP2X.

Now what will happen to the Dingoo once I get the Pandora? We shall see, as soon as I get that Pandora...

[[Offtopic ramblings about availability of the Pandora from this message onwards have been removed]]

splatbert said:
I hate this device. It's shoddily made (although looks nice), and completely rip-offs:
-The PSP
-The iPod
-Kung-fu Panda
-World of Warcraft

The translations are terrible, the video quality is terrible, the speakers are shit, the 3D games look awful (and they flicker), and the input is slow. Why I even bought this I don't even know.

do you even know how it works? it's a pmp and rom player bud, not a PSP + iPod...

u9i said:
We got "Chipped"... again!
Well, we all WERE getting rather off-topic.

Those who don't like the Dingoo probably did not know what they were really buying when they bought it.

Like said above, it's a PMP and ROM emulator, not a PSP + iPod. And if you were EXPECTING a PSP + iPod...yeah, I can see why you might be a bit disappointed.

I'd say that people should carefully review/research...and know exactly what it is they are getting, before pulling out their wallets.

Yeah, heaven forbid we fail to stay on topic. You know, where the one guy comes in, gives a few nonsense reasons for disliking Dingoo, then is never seen from again.

Chip, your "on topic" policing is bullshit and I'm fucking sick of my posts getting deleted. Those take time to write, so show some god damn consideration.

To be fair it's not just Chip who bleats on with the 'stay-on-topic' bullcrap. The on-topic monsters seem to be out on force across the forums recently, although none appear to be quite so heavy handed as Chip...

Some good things can come out of tangential waffle. This is an internet message board, not a peer review board, a little more leeway would be appreciated. Especially in a thread which barely had a topic to begin with.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, EXO.

When a topic is basically dead...why should anyone care if the topic spin off tangent, and goes off-topic?

If others then RESPOND to that off-topic post, then obviously there's interest in the off-topic part, and I agree that to delete those ruins a lot of hard work...and also constitutes a bit of censorship.

a better idea would be to simply lock the topic, leave the posts in place, and suggest a new topic be started to continue the "off topic" posts.

slaanesh said:
Kalisiin said:
Anyway...shortly after that, the fucking 8-track broke, and I could never manage to get the goddam thing fixed...you couldn't get parts for it anymore. And there went 400 bucks of slave labor right down the fucking toilet.

I've never forgotten that.

At least you don't sound too bitter about it. Although I think that 4x identical Dingoos is excessive. Are they at least different versions? White/Black/No-Paw variants?

I often buy different versions of the same handheld. For instance I have a NLU, FLU, BLU and BLU+ GP32. I also have a GP2X F-100 1st and 2nd and the white F-200. I recently got a Wiz but haven't used it much still. (Sorry DaveC, that secret build is still coming ;) )
Like DaveC, I tend to buy only 1x commercial handheld but I do have 2x DS as my wife has permanently borrowed one. I'm stuck with the Phat DS - which I prefer anyway. It's more manly. <_<

Anyway, back to the topic. The Dingoo isn't for everyone. Yes, it's kind of cheap in look and feel but I think it's very good considering.

I still remember when I first opened up my very first GP32 back in 2003 (or whenever it was). I was a bit disappointed initially thinking that the build quality was no way as good as other commercial handhelds at the time. ie. GBA

But it's good enough for it's money so I think it's a winner.

HMm... I wasn't disappointed at all in the build quality of the gp32, I thought it was pretty good. The only thing that wasn't good about it was the anti-glare coating came off the first time I cleaned the screen. But the buttons feel solid, the joystick is great, the screen is good quality with no bad pixels... The battery compartment on the gp2x is the worst though.

Speaking of off-topic...

I found Kalisiin's rant about her 8-track more entertaining than the OP's incoherent Dingoo whine.

My wife has a similar history, just about everything electronic she owns dies a premature/unexpected/unusual death. Its not like she treats things badly, quite the opposite, she's one of those people who likes to leave the protective film on products.

I don't know what it is, drives me nuts, Ive come to the conclusion the best defence is a backup unit in storage.

edit: @mod (not Chip), it would seem you're contributing to the forums loss of diversity and entertainment value to gain a few bytes on the server. D'oh! Just lock the thread if it's causing you agitation.

Back