F100. F200. F800? Yup, A New Gph Model In The Works.

X-Code said:
Anarchy, the Official GP2X Distributor for Spain has been told that this is untrue by people at GPH.

So, it's either top secret or top somethingelse :lol:
Actually, GPH did talk about such handheld with me a few months ago... before the F200 even had be annnounced.
Th still were in the idea collecting phase, so I actually have no idea how far this project is and what specs are true and what not.

Last edited:
Hmmm, a console designed by a some of the members here, based on ideas and comments from this community, or a console from GPH which will probably need several revisions before it even works properly (and even then probably still randomly trashes your nand for no particular reason).

I know which I'd go for :D

Give up, GPH, you've already lost the race!

EvilDragon said:
X-Code said:
Anarchy, the Official GP2X Distributor for Spain has been told that this is untrue by people at GPH.

So, it's either top secret or top somethingelse :lol:
Actually, GPH did talk about such handheld with me a few months ago... before the F200 even had be annnounced.
Th still were in the idea collecting phase, so I actually have no idea how far this project is and what specs are true and what not.

Thanks ED B)

Anarchy didn't quite speak to GPH, it was a semi-official conversation it seems :).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to add: best of luck to you GPH. I won't condemn them for considering it.

If they are taking about 800MHz then the only real solution I can think of that is currently on the market is the XScale based processor. It is well known for having Linux ports so it would be quicker for them. So many people here will tell you about the weaknesses of the XScale core and its requirement for a dedicated video processor if they want great gaming. I would even to go so far as to say that they will need a gfx chip that handles the floating point because as far as I know VFP is still not included on the chip? I doubt they could get an Nvidia chip or one of the weaker ATI mobile chips as the required volumes would be hard to commit to.

I have to say that the one thing that I am most proud of when working on the craiginator is the COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT. You have no idea how much all of the posts over the last year have helped to shape this new handheld. In fact, there are cheaper ways to design some of the features needed but they go against what the community wants, so they weren't even considered. The other benefit is that we are all here, all the time. :) When the console is released and someone finds a feature lacking or missing, I for one will start working on adding it right away. There could be a new kernel release each month for the first little while if it becomes necessary as opposed to waiting six months for a whole bunch of fixes. Hopefully most software released will be in userspace, but no one is going to dump $350US (if the conversions people list are correct) on this amazing device and be left high and dry!!!

I guess, in one way you/we were all lucky that anything was made in this sense- something open and fun to code/play on. But in another how much better would it have been if they'd spent a bit longer in the development stage? it was a real F'n mess no denying.. the revision of the f200 is nice (ish) and I might pick it up if I hear good things about it to pass the time 'til the 'nator- then again I thought that on initial gp2x release too and somehow I managed to wait until now.. sorry if I upset any loyalists but considering their track record I wouldn't trust 'em to make a decent successor..
I mean, I know that this craiginator lark isn't exactly a sure fire thing- who knows what will happen there regarding setbacks or faults etc but the one reason I trust it more is that craig and co. have been here all the way through and are looking to get things right for us, them, everyone. That 'nator thing sounds like, as long as it works lol, I'll not need another toy for the next 6-7 years and actually has real world usages too.. the 32 seems like a work of art up to the 2X from what I've seen.. but I know- different companies/circumstances.
So, will GPH learn from their mistakes and offer a solid platform that does what it says on the tin next time round? heh I still doubt it ;) god knows when we'll finally see it too, the f200 needs to get selling yet!

PS did I read it wrong? or is it right that this new 2x thing wouldn't be back compatible? anyway.. back to sleep

Pickle said:
Is it just me or does it sound like another GPkids attempt.
more like xgp-mini...wouldn't do kids its way to crippled...just slap some nand in it...but I doubt this thing will come to pass.

GPH is just really damn pathetic.
Why couldn't there be a place, with the funding and well-knownness of GPH, with the management of Craig?

Hmmm...I wonder how this will effect the Craiginator

Anyways, this doesn't look to interesting. The processor seems nice, but that's a pretty small screen...

But, then again, thats the size of the screen on the Creative Zen Vision: M. Not sure how well that would work for games though...the system ought to be really small then.

Better be cheap too.

jbrodack said:
I'm all for the f200 but this just sounds stupid. don't even see why they would still call it a gp2x. they really need to make something completely different.
what about the Commodore/Amiga?

The Amiga came to market in this order;
1000, 2000, 500, 1500, 2500, 3000, 3000UX, 500+, 3000T, CDTV, 600, 4000, 1200, CD32, and 4000T.

The Commodore came to market in this order; Commodore KIM-1 - single board computer, Commodore PET, Commodore VIC-20, Commodore CBM-II, Commodore 64, Commodore SX-64, Commodore 16, Commodore Plus/4 Commodore 128.

If GPH releases a new hand held it's a good thing, especially if it backwards compatible, the name gp2x f800 kinda makes it sound possible. :)

Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and youre okay.
Money, its a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think Ill buy me a football team.

Money, get back.
Im all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, its a hit.
Dont give me that do goody good bullshit.
Im in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, its a crime.
Share it fairly but dont take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that theyre
Giving none away.

Huhuh! I was in the right!
Yes, absolutely in the right!
I certainly was in the right!
You was definitely in the right. that geezer was cruising for a
Bruising!
Yeah!
Why does anyone do anything?
I dont know, I was really drunk at the time!
I was just telling him, he couldnt get into number 2. he was asking
Why he wasnt coming up on freely, after I was yelling and
Screaming and telling him why he wasnt coming up on freely.
It came as a heavy blow, but we sorted the matter out

I thought the fastest ARM cpu made was only 624? Perhaps I was wrong.

Well, 800 should have no probs with SNES, Genesis, even PSone should be doable.

Rather have the Craiginator, but I'm still wondering how much is vaporware, or if it is released what price point it will be. I'll go up to 450 IF it runs full Linux, as in I want to work in an X environment for that much cash.

Hoping it comes out, and hoping its worth it.

Rivroner said:
Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and youre okay.
Money, its a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark

Not sure what is up with the Floyd reference but a 2.8" screen?! :rolleyes: Just what I wanted, to go smaller in screen size to that of the headache inducing Giz or GBA ;) Maybe for the F1200 they can go ballls out and give us a 1.5" screen YAY! GPH is so dumb. I am suprized the GP2X ended up as good as it was in many areas except for the stick, must have been luck.

Maybe they are saying 2 ARM10 at 400Mhz. That would indicate the MMSP3 which was supposed to come out this year some time.

Also it could be the xscale with the PXA320 SoC which can clock up to 806Mhz. (which will be quite dated end of 2008)

Anyway, both are good enough for this tiny device. I'll get one if it is cheap enough and I can play SNES on it. It'll find a spot in the market if it is much cheaper than the craiginator. Just won't be as biug a market as before.

EDIT: maybe PSX is not such a good idea.

all those commodore listings make me eager to also write some lists:

the atari 8 bit series came out in this order:

2600, 400/800, 1200XL, 5200, 600/800XL, 7800, 65/130XE, XEGS

the 16/32 bit series came out in this order:

260/520ST, 520ST+, 520STm, 520/1040STf, 520/1040STfm, MEGA ST, ATW (had a mega inside), STacy, 520/1040STe, STBook, TT030, MEGA STe, Falcon030. some prototypes (Falcon040) and clones (medusa, hades, milan (boooring machines)) were made afterwards.

All these computer ranges had something like ~10 years of life span. I wonder if the GP32, GP2X F100, F200, (F800?), etc will also have the same.

a big difference, i think, is the hardware compatibility. a 130XE could play all 800 stuff, even if there was 6 years in between the models. similar to a MEGA STe playing all 520ST stuff (also 6 years later). GP32 and GP2X are largely incompatible. I hope the F800 will have increased power and will keep compatibility. If it's incompatible I'd rather stick with Craig's machine.

earx said:
All these computer ranges had something like ~10 years of life span. I wonder if the GP32, GP2X F100, F200, (F800?), etc will also have the same.
The increasing rate of new technology will show that any piece of hardware will become obsolete in less and less time, as time goes on... or does that only make sense to me in my drunken state?

Back