F200 Few Noob Questions

timothee

Website
Visit site
Hi there,

I finaly took the plunge and got myself a brand new GP2X F200!! Love it so far, had no problem installing emulators and I could play pretty much everything I wanted. I even hope to get my hands dirty with development. Before I try that though, I had some questions:

* I got myself the craddle and a serial cable. before I connect anything can anyone tell me what needs to be power-supplied? I read some conflicting information here and there, sometimes craddle only is mentionned, sometimes craddle PLUS GP2X... Does the craddle always needs to be powered? Is it possible to power only the GP2X, and, assuming good batteries, can I just use the GP2X batteries to connect for a quick login?

* I am not very fond of the default blue interface. GMenu2X looks awesome as a replacement but I am worried about installing it on the F200 as I read it was not fully supported yet. Could someone who installed it successfully on the F200 share his experience with it please?

* Is there a file manager available for the GP2X somewhere? Ideally a dual panel interface would be best to copy or move stuff around.

* the ext port's rubber cover is stuck on my unit such that the rubber can never fully close. Am I the only one with this problem? I guess the only to fix this is to open the device to loosen up the rubber. Besides great care in dismanteling, is there anything specific about opening the GP2X I should be aware about?

Thanks!
Tim.

Gp2x powers the cradle. Cradle needs additional power supply from adapter only if you plug in something like HDD.
From this vid opening the thing and getting to the rubber doesn't seem that difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpSPRMU6G_A

Last edited by a moderator:
'installing' gmenu2x is only a matter of putting it on your sd card. if it doesn't work right just take it off. (assuming you have a card reader).

timothee said:
* the ext port's rubber cover is stuck on my unit such that the rubber can never fully close. Am I the only one with this problem?

The rubber port covers on my f-200 are all screwy, too. The headphone cover cannot stay in place, ever. It's just wrong for the shape/size. The ext cover is just too loose to say put. The other covers can stay in place for a while, but don't plug into both ports that they cover at the same time.

The start up volume (power up with volumn - will disable), super bright blue LED and rubber covers are the most annoying problems I've had, so far.

You are not alone. But it's fun, eh?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

@Gr.Viper: Thanks, this makes sense and I now get a clearer picture about power supply for GP2X/craddle. Thanks for the link too, indeed it looks easy enough to open it.

@mrsnature: understood, I'll give it a shot.

@eric: Yes, it's fun! Now that I got this early xmas present for myself, my wife is already complaining I spend too much time with it. And to be honnest, the rubber is not even bothering me that much, but I'm looking for perfection here :p.

Thanks again all!
Tim.

eric said:
super bright blue LED
Two birds, one stone. When you remove the rubber cover, cut ~10mm X 30mm strip of electrical tape, stick 8mmx15mm bit of tinfoil to sticky side in the middle, stick on the inside over the case where the LED is. Works, and makes the world a slightly better place.

timothee said:
Hi there,

* I am not very fond of the default blue interface. GMenu2X looks awesome as a replacement but I am worried about installing it on the F200 as I read it was not fully supported yet. Could someone who installed it successfully on the F200 share his experience with it please?

Read the Readme.txt and this documentation
Some functions are not supported, but as a launcher GMenu2X is working pretty well and is skinable.
For example :
fbdumpnh6.png

* Is there a file manager available for the GP2X somewhere? Ideally a dual panel interface would be best to copy or move stuff around.

Jycet did a great job with Enexfi .
enexfi_v0.4.7.png

timothee said:
I too recently got a F200 and as yourself, upon turning on was discusted with the interface! Id seen videos of earlier firmware interfaces (mainly the one on amiga2000 youtube videos) and wished that they were on instead!

So i took the plunge you havent taken yet ;)

Get GMenu2X on my friend! You wont look back!
As mentioned though a few things dont work completely, most importantly the USB option...
In order to get USB connection up, (this is what i do) youll have to goto 'Settings', select 'GP2X' and then it will goto the old interface menu, where the USB cable will be recognized!
Once youve finished with the cable, unplug it and hit 'Home/Start' and ull be back on the GMenu2X!

Good luck!

Thanks for that, Enexfi works great!

Thanks all! I have now installed GMenu2x and it works great, I'm on my way to try out the few skins I downloaded too :).

Cheers!

Back