A Few Questions Id Like To Ask Before I Buy.

shadowwill

Still Fresh
hello, ive been watching the gp2x for a while now and the release of the gp2x f200 has finally pushed me to buying one. However before i buy i would like to ask :

1. are there any more commercial games being developed?
2. are the game editing programs/game builders run on the console?
3. Is internet possible on it ?
4. is it possible for future updates to allow the gp2x to increase graphic quality and speeds?
5. Would a nintendo DS emulator be possible? ( i heard its impossible for the n64 if i am correct.)
6. would i be able to play , say age of empires 2 on the gp2x?
7. can i use the touch screen of the gp2x f-200 as a graphic tablet thing to draw in photoshop?
8. would it be able to run a graphic package such as that?
and finally, what are the dimentions of the gp2x f200?

thankyou very much and i hope somebody will answer my questions. :)

shadowwill said:
1. are there any more commercial games being developed?
2. are the game editing programs/game builders run on the console?
3. Is internet possible on it ?
4. is it possible for future updates to allow the gp2x to increase graphic quality and speeds?
5. Would a nintendo DS emulator be possible? ( i heard its impossible for the n64 if i am correct.)
6. would i be able to play , say age of empires 2 on the gp2x?
7. can i use the touch screen of the gp2x f-200 as a graphic tablet thing to draw in photoshop?
8. would it be able to run a graphic package such as that?
and finally, what are the dimentions of the gp2x f200?
1. Occasionally, yes. There is a few titles available such as: Wind and Water, Payback, Retrovirus RTS, Vektar. It always depends if you will find a developer. Also the console was made to accomodate independent software developers and hobbyists. So really no need for commercial games.
2. Please clarify. Which editors do you mean? You can use any arm c++ compiler that you want with SDL, Allegro or you can write your own libraries. You can also use python, darkbasic or use some of the available script engines like fenix. Also there is "game editor" which you will need a win32 OS for (i think there is a linux version aswell but I am not sure).
3. Short answer: yes. long answer: what for? You would need a USB network connection or an SDIO wifi card with linux drivers. Browsing the internet would be pretty tedious I would imagine, as you do not have an optimized browser and input can only be done through the touchscreen. People have done it before but just to prove it's possible while it's no near practical.
4. No.
5. No. Not enough power, not enough screenspace. Maybe someone might attempt it, though I doubt it.
6. No. This would have to be ported. Since it is a Microsoft game, there is no sourcecode available, it uses directX, it has been made for windows only. NO WAR IN HELL.
7. I honeslty don't know that. Interesting idea but I guess the touchscreen is too small for that. I think you also wouldn't have the precision as you would require for a graphic tablet. Maybe, this could be done through USB with a breakout board... probably quite hard to accomplish though.
8. Well, we can run an X11 window manager and maybe you could compile the gimp for it if you can manage to get gtk+ libraries compiled but then again, there might not be anough processing power for that. Also we only have 64MB of RAM available and no floating point processor. I don't think you could.

If I where you, I would get a laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
exellent , thankyou for your reply. i dont really want a laptop and would like a new handheld. Thanks!

Nintendo DS might technically be possible because the DS has two ARM CPU's at 66 and 33 MHz. The ARM cpu's in the GP2X can execute its code directly while leaving plenty of compute capacity to emulate its GPU.

However, with only 1 screen, emulating the 2 screens of the DS will require work-arounds to display it on 1 screen and would therefore not result in a practically usable emulation.

dmantione said:
Nintendo DS might technically be possible because the DS has two ARM CPU's at 66 and 33 MHz. The ARM cpu's in the GP2X can execute its code directly while leaving plenty of compute capacity to emulate its GPU.

However, with only 1 screen, emulating the 2 screens of the DS will require work-arounds to display it on 1 screen and would therefore not result in a practically usable emulation.
That would NOT make sense at all... a 300mhz handheld would be able to run DS fullspeed and my 1.6ghz laptop won't? From what I know, Nintendo DS emulation on the gp2x is impossible. Also, with one screen, it would be pretty silly to even try...

Last edited by a moderator:
They said you shudnt run win95 on the GP2x- but you can.. The code for no$gba cud be run on the 2X- so yes the DS is do-able but it wud be slow as hell. Last time I checked my handheld (F200) was a dual core both running at 200mhz- not 300mhz & mine can be overclocked to close on 400mhz (tho it crashes and wipes my SD card in doing so)- most PCs cant run the PSone as good as the GP2X- and most laptops cant run most PC games that well.

My single core PC @2GHz can run ALL DS games at full speed with sound- if you laptop is dual core- its better than my desktop; but my desktop is designed to do things better than a laptop...

To answer your question- yes the DS could be run on it.

Rule of Emu is tho: Your system MUST be 10x faster than the system you want to run. What the GP2X can do is awesome- because its not foloowing the rule- but at a cost- most games are slow.

I think that people need to consider what they are buying and what they are buying it for. It looks to me like the GP2X is an excellent platform to run emulatated retro games, develop new games, run music and videos, and just plain hack at the hardware on. The Nintendo DS can be used as a browser, but it's emulation is limited, and running movies requires conversions and cards.

I'm getting a F200 for Christmas from my Wife. I'm planning out all the things I want to try on it. I did try running a DIVX video on it when it came (I HAD to check it out) and it worked great. I also got MAME to run Ms. PacMan (which I actually own a real machine of).

For what I want it for, it seems like the F200 is a perfect fit.

-Al-
gp32_console

Back