Fba2x

Squidge said:
Rivroner said:
Squidge said:
Two different frequencies :)
:huh: NO real answer? :rolleyes:

We all know the first batch was run at 500Mhz.

We didn't know that per se (a few numbers were floating around, between 450 and 550MHz is where I'd put it), although it's good to know I guess.

Now we just need to know what you changed it to ;P Not that it really makes that much of a difference, beyond "hey guys, someone can get Pandoras this high" (and the number is probably not higher than the 625MHz we were told anyway)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Did you build your own toolchain or did it come with TI's kernel? Are you even using TI kernel? Or do they just provide kernel patches and you built up eveything from scratch?
TI provides its own kernel (look on TI site). TI recommends CodeSourcery 2007 q1-27 IIRC, which looks good.

WARNING: this does not mean this is what Squidge used :)

Exophase said:
Now we just need to know what you changed it to ;P Not that it really makes that much of a difference, beyond "hey guys, someone can get Pandoras this high" (and the number is probably not higher than the 625MHz we were told anyway)
750Mhz. I've had it running at 800Mhz, but it crashed before it ran for the same amount of time as before.

I'm hoping that the actual Pandora will clock higher and also give more performance at the same Mhz due to differences on how it's been made/components/etc.

750mhz is a fair number though. However if the Pandora will clock higher it will in fact of ascended to a god like level of existence.

Squidge said:
Exophase said:
750Mhz. I've had it running at 800Mhz, but it crashed before it ran for the same amount of time as before.

I'm hoping that the actual Pandora will clock higher and also give more performance at the same Mhz due to differences on how it's been made/components/etc.

Squidge, I'm really confused on all this, and if you could clarify that would be great. I remember that this chip is said to go up to 1 Ghz. Did they mean that it's highest clock was as powerful as 1 Ghz, but actually a different value? Or am I just completely wrong?

-God Ginrai

Squidge said:
Exophase said:

Thank you very much for the answer man ;) :)

Thanks for the pressure Exo :D

God Ginrai said:
Squidge, I'm really confused on all this, and if you could clarify that would be great. I remember that this chip is said to go up to 1 Ghz. Did they mean that it's highest clock was as powerful as 1 Ghz, but actually a different value? Or am I just completely wrong?

-God Ginrai
I was under the impression that 1ghz was likely if (and only if) they used the less power-efficient method of production - i.e. the one that uses something like 30-40% more energy for the same tasks. On the assumption that they wanted energy efficiency (which seems reasonable) over super-ultra-whizz-power, then 750MHz is pretty good (seeing as that process is the one quoted to be at ~550MHz in the early docs).

1GHz would be nice, but 750MHz is perfectly reasonable imo - although of course, whilst Squidge is hoping the real thing will go faster, there's no guarantee at present that any one unit will run faster than the quoted 625MHz on the www.openpandora.ca website...

At the moment.

Yeah it pretty damn good nevertheless. faster than the iphone/itouch of coarse, it would of a out performed those two at a lower clock speed.

let us know when you get that lcd working man. ;)

That makes me sad that we don't get 1 Ghz, but I am still very happy with 750 Mhz. And I'm hoping that you can OC higher just like Squidge is, because I want as many possibilities in emulation and games as possible.

I also hope that the OC Mhz is more uniform between systems than it was for the GP2X. I'm still jealous of people who can OC to 300 Mhz (or close) on their GP2X, seeing as how mine generally crashes when I try to OC it to 250 Mhz.

-God Ginrai

Don't forget that the board is still running at TI specified voltages. By increasing the voltage we'll probably get higher speeds. However, I don't want to over voltage a dev board and kill it! Lets wait until we have some "spares" before trying to kill them, yes?

TI may have demonstrated a 1 Ghz version to somebody, but we don't know the conditions used for that (or power requirements?)

Squidge said:
Don't forget that the board is still running at TI specified voltages. By increasing the voltage we'll probably get higher speeds. However, I don't want to over voltage a dev board and kill it! Lets wait until we have some "spares" before trying to kill them, yes?

TI may have demonstrated a 1 Ghz version to somebody, but we don't know the conditions used for that (or power requirements?)
I definitely agree that you shouldn't chance killing your dev board just yet. ;) Btw, have you done any work on porting SquidgeSNES over to the Pandora yet? Or are you waiting until you get the LCD working to do that?

-God Ginrai

I think 750Mhz is quite nice.

That's more than twice the PSP's top speed for example, and I've seen some really amazing emulators on the PSP.

Heck, it's faster than the factory preset clock speed of the eeepc. :)

I realize you can't make simple 1:1 speed comparisons based on CPU Mhz alone of course, but still...

Prophet said:
I think 750Mhz is quite nice.

That's more than twice the PSP's top speed for example, and I've seen some really amazing emulators on the PSP.

Heck, it's faster than the factory preset clock speed of the eeepc. :)

I realize you can't make simple 1:1 speed comparisons based on CPU Mhz alone of course, but still...
And that last part is exactly why I'm not too excited about whatever clock speed it is. I'm more impressed with the actual performance Squidge is getting out of this. That's the main indicator of power. :)

God Ginrai said:
Btw, have you done any work on porting SquidgeSNES over to the Pandora yet? Or are you waiting until you get the LCD working to do that?
The current Linux kernel isn't suited to SquidgeSNES at the moment.

Squidge said:
God Ginrai said:
Btw, have you done any work on porting SquidgeSNES over to the Pandora yet? Or are you waiting until you get the LCD working to do that?
The current Linux kernel isn't suited to SquidgeSNES at the moment.

Can you say why or is it under NDA?

I'm curious about how a kernel couldn't be suited for an emulator.

Are you going to run it on the framebuffer instead of X11? I thought yes. But does this mean the pandora will not have X11? Because I don't know how we will switch betwen x11 and framebuffer apps, it's not as easy, I think..

Probably just means that it doesn't have some syscalls that he's relying on at the moment...

Exophase said:
Probably just means that it doesn't have some syscalls that he's relying on at the moment...
I think you probably hit the nail on the head with that one.

-God Ginrai

Back