Feel like an idiot

delphiaddict

Still Fresh
Boy do I feel embarassed now! :eek:

All the problems with my unit look like they have been caused by a faulty set of batteries! Arrghh!! I only bought the pack of four Duracell Plus 2 days ago. When I had the problems I took out the batteries and used the remaing two left in the packet and got the same results! I guess thats why I assumed the unit to be faulty. :(

I've just been to ASDA and bought Duracell Ultra M3 which apparently are suited to high drain appliances and everything seems to be running fine. I've had Frodo running without problems for a whole half hour!

Sorry for making you guys rack your brains, although I'm left wondering why it gets hot (still) and why the startup sequence speeded up.

Needles to say I'm mighty relieved to be at last up and running!

Thanks to all :)

I'd definitely keep an eye on it though. I'm still unsure about the heat...

Looks like you we're right Axeman.

With the new batteries in I've had the unit switched on for about 1 hour 30 mins. The screen is now flickering like crazy. I've taken the batteries out and they are almost but not quite too hot to hold. I've replaced them with the other two from this new packet and the flickering is gone again! It definitely has an overheating problem.

well it might allow you to play games but it still seems like there is somthing wrong with it. It should not get that hot. I have never had the thing heat up even alittle, so you might want to keep an eye on it. All gp32 go crazy when low on batteries but they should last for a good while on one set of fresh batteries. To me it sounds like you have some sort of problem with the clock speed of your cpu which while you might be able to play games on it for now you might be in for some bigger problems down the road.

I wouldn't have thought that the dodgey batteries would actually have broken the unit. It sounds like it may already have been a bit dodgey. Personally, my next step would be to get an ammeter on it and see how much current the thing is drawing. If there's some component fault that's causing it to draw far more current than normal, it would easily do in a set of weedy batteries and quickly flatten muscle batteries whilst creating plenty of heat.

Delphi, who did you say you ordered from again? I thought at one point you mentioned CraigX, but I can't remember. If that's the case, I'm sure he will verify that the unit cannot be damaged by "weak" batteries, and if your unit continues to act up, I'm guessing he would swap you out one. Of course I don't know him and I can't speak for him, but if it's a problem with the actual unit I'm sure he can RMA it or something. That's all assuming you bought from him.

Flack

Yes, I bought from Craig at GBAX. I've emailed him but I'm waiting for a reply at the moment.

Back