Fenix Or Ultimate Fenix

TrevorBradley

All my posts are too long, this one is short!

Fenix Beta 6 (0.84) or Ultimate Fenix (0.92a): Which should I program in and why?

I know:
1) Fenix 0.84 won't allow you to put a process in a function
2) Fenix 0.84 doesn't appear to have a working OnExit for processes

Probably best using ufenix as it uses a much more recent version of the runtime so should have less bugs, however it seems that though some operations are quicker in 0.92a others are faster in 0.84, this isn't because of the gp2x port as it's also true in windows. I tend to just test my games using both versions in the early stages to get idea of which is faster for the project I'm working on. I'm not exactly sure how much difference there is between each version as far as code is concerned but so far most of my old projects seem to compile and run in both versions.

Trevor Bradley said:
I know:
1) Fenix 0.84 won't allow you to put a process in a function
2) Fenix 0.84 doesn't appear to have a working OnExit for processes
Fenix 0.84 doesn't have functions, everything is a process.
OnExit is available since Fenix 0.90.2.

Fenix 0.92a is better than 0.84a. It has many improvements, which aren't very properly documented (heey welcome to the world of Fenix...), but some are listed in the forums of Booleansoup. It's not much to go on, but trust me, you'll be wanting to use the latest version.
If you happen to be able to read Spanish you can read the Spanish Changelog. I don't know how accurate or up to date this is, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandman said:
Fenix 0.84 doesn't have functions, everything is a process.
This is inconsistent with my recent experience with 0.84.

Functions blocked running processes in 0.84 just fine, unless a process was called within the function, in which case the function somehow transformed a process. But no processes called within a function the function works just fine. Maybe it's a whacky version from the FenixDevKit from archive.gp2x.de...

All of this is moot, because I've now switched over to 0.92a anyways. :)

I did scan through the changelog and noticed OnExit was introduced in 0.90. I'll have to get babelfish out to give that Changelog a good read.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two 0.84 versions, version a and version b. Only Fenix 0.84b has functions (but other than that is severely bugged), Fenix 0.84a doesn't have them. You can use a process without a frame() statement in it to emulate a function. A process behaves like a function (and will return a function value) unless a frame() is hit, then it will be a process and return a process ID.

But alas, use the newest version.

Back