Few Newb Questions

angryinvalid

Still Fresh
I have some questions on these amazingly little machines I heard about yesterday and have been reading up on ever since.

I gave a good look over the boards, and it answered a lot of questions. If i ask something i missed please don't yell.... :unsure:

I was originally looking to get a GBA SP and flash cart, to emu it up. But the lack of Genesis support is a big deal to me....anyhow, my questions:

1. What/when is this "F-Day" i keep seeing mentioned on the forums?

2. A/V out possible????

3. I have an ipod which i use as a hard drive. Could the USB on the GP be used to read from it? (or any other external hard drive)

4. how many hours of video (with sound) can i expect to get on a 128 card?

5. how many genesis roms?

6. Can I use the PCengine to emulate windows based games?

7. Is playing Beats Of Rage on GP32 done by using a PC emulator? or is there a version specifcally for the GP32?

8. I read a lot of info indicating how well emulators worked, but it seemed to be pretty old.
Currently: how well do Genesis, Snes, Nes run?

1. nobody knows for sure
2. ? sorry
3. i've heard of people trying, not sure if successful
4. i've gotten hour and a half+ from a movie on 128mb card
5. depends on how big and if zipped, if just MD roms, then probably close to 100+ at 1mb or less
6. It's GPEngine, and its a PC Engine emulator, PC engine is the Jap version of TurboGrafx 16, a mid 80's console from NEC
7. there is a version specific to the GP32
8. Genesis is very good with DRMD, Snes is ok if you don't mind playing without sound, and NES is pretty much perfect.

I have some questions on these amazingly little machines I heard about yesterday and have been reading up on ever since.

I gave a good look over the boards, and it answered a lot of questions. If i ask something i missed please don't yell.... :unsure:

I was originally looking to get a GBA SP and flash cart, to emu it up. But the lack of Genesis support is a big deal to me....anyhow, my questions:

1. What/when is this "F-Day" i keep seeing mentioned on the forums?

a) F-Day is when Ryleh is going to update all of hes emulaors for the GP32. Cant wait for it as hes work is superb check out www.retrodev.info

2. A/V out possible????

a) Not that I know od

3. I have an ipod which i use as a hard drive. Could the USB on the GP be used to read from it? (or any other external hard drive)

a) I dont know sorry

4. how many hours of video (with sound) can i expect to get on a 128 card?

a) I encode with about 17fps and you can a whole 90 min film on a 128mb card, maybe if you rduce quality you may get longer?

5. how many genesis roms?

I have 75 on my card with space for other emu's

6. Can I use the PCengine to emulate windows based games?

a) I dont think so

7. Is playing Beats Of Rage on GP32 done by using a PC emulator? or is there a version specifcally for the GP32?

There is a Special BOR Port for the GP32

8. I read a lot of info indicating how well emulators worked, but it seemed to be pretty old.

Currently: how well do Genesis, Snes, Nes run?

a)

Snez Fullspeed without sound at 166mhz

Genesis pretty much perfect

Nez perfect

Hope that helps :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Noone knows.. 1 or 2 Months, perhaps...

2. No.

3. Theoretically yes, since GPlinux supports drivers for external storage devices, but its kind of tricky and you can ONLY use it in Linux, not to view films or hear mp3´s or such.

4. In Fullscreen, 17fps and good quality you can get up to 100 minutes on a 128 MB card. Since longer movies usually are widescreen, you can get 140 min. or even more on a SMC. Depends on your encoding experience though- at first your results may be a bit bigger in filesize.

5. Uh, with an average size of 700KB, there should be room for approx. 150 Roms...

6. PCengine was a 16-Bit console. NOT a PC. It is possible to emulate PCengine games very well on the GP32, but NO PC games. (Of course we still have many PC ports, but that´s another story)

7. Beats of rage has been Ported from the PC; it runs excellent without any restrictions, but some (few) .PAKs wont work. Also keep in mind that it is the standard BOR version, none of the newer OpenBOR features here...

8. Nes: Perfect with LittleJohn
Snes: Depends on the game and how high your GP32 can overclock; most games run rather good with frameskip 2 and sound on a 166MHz GP32.
Megadrive/Genesis: Good emulation, very fluent and good sound, but compatibility issues with some (few) ROMs.

EDIT: typos

1. What is F-Day? some of the best emulators out there have been ported to the gp32 by someone called Rlyeh. All his emulators are named as "F....".

He has announced that he will be releasing a major update of all his emulators sometime in the near future (a few months). This is known in the gp32 community as the "F-Day". The betatesters who are helping him say that the improvements are impressive (and you must consider that most of his emulators were already very good).

S.

Question, I personally have not seen any issues with NtesterGPD 1.5A and to me it runs at full speed etc.

I like the save state features and the long rom name support.

Am I missing some thing, I am just asking because i keep seeing posts about little john being better.

I have used both and I don't see a difference in the speed just NteserGPD has more fatures am I missing some thing?

Little John has a better average FPS. Nester is fast, but its skipping frames badly. Also the sound is messed up in Nester.

Back