Few questions

Vitel

Website
vminko.org
1. The accessories list contains 'Carrying case'. What is it? Is there a photo?
2. I want to estimate Pandora's performance. Could somebody please measure how long it takes to compile and install a package, binutils for example.

Hi Vitel. I can only provide an answer to your first question, if that's ok. I hope it's useful. :p

The case, if memory serves, is one of those airform-type cases. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a photograph of one available yet (although now I've said that, it'll be just my luck that someone from the team drops in and posts an image or something... :lol: ), but it has been said that it's similar to the equivalent case that was available for the GP2X.

There isn't much point in compiling binutils as a benchmark sine most compilation will be done in a cross compiler environment. On ARM hardware SD card speed variations will likely have huge effects on compilation speed

now better benchmarks would be what sort of real world apps can it run? Think quake3 and then some in the graphics department and as far as applications it is quite capable of running full Linux distros built for the ARM processor. It has a DSP that allows 720p playback with ~10 % CPU usage (check beagleboard.org for the exact numbers) with the gstreamer DSP plugin

for a rough number of MIPS TI says it has about 2DMIPS per Mhz which translates to 1200DMIPS very roughly PII ish in speed although there are great disparities in thier designs so as I said any comparison is extremely rough again consider lots of software will have extensive optimisation to this platform take the Dreamcast emulator nullDC for instance which is looking rather promising in fact

There isn't much point in compiling binutils as a benchmark sine most compilation will be done in a cross compiler environment.
I'm planning to install gentoo on Pandora and compile all packages natively. Therefore GPU and DSP performance are not very significant for me.
So the main question for me is whether Pandora is suitable for such requirements. I understand that 'emerge -NuDa world' will take much longer time than it takes on my core2-notebook, I can wait a couple of days, but not weeks...

Back