Few questions

nanaki254

Still Fresh
Hi,

I've recently been fed up with my laptop, and I heard about the Open Pandora system and it really seems to fit my needs. I was planning on getting one after Christmas or so (the 1Ghz version), but talk on the forum seems to worry me a bit (refunds, delays, etc). Maybe I'm not getting the bigger picture but still..

So my questions are:

Should I order one around that time? If so, then where? I checked the USA site, and they said they will have more Early November, though it is already nearing the end of it...

If I order one, how long of a wait (apart from shipping time to the States) do I have to wait?

I would love to have a device like this, but as I said before, the talk about refunds and stuff worried me a little, so I thought I could get some clarification :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The refunds I believe are mostly original pre-orderers from way back. Openpandora uk (craig) were waiting on a tax return in order to issue refunds, hence the holdup. 100 refunds in one go was unexpected and they did not have the cash flow at that time i believe.

But dont worry these guys are solid and honest.Craig is shipping some 1ghz pandoras soon i believe.

www.dragonbox.de (eds store)has 1ghz pandoras in stock all the time except if they are sold out.Then he gets another batch from the manufacturer.

Oh I see

So you are saying that the safest, most reliable place to order it is on the dragonbox site?

I wish the USA site would be in stock due to less shipping for me, but if dragonbox is the most reliable, I guess spending the extra bucks wouldn't hurt :)

Being one of the angry refund seekers, I must say that AFAIK there should not be a problem with new orders. I do suggest ordering from Evil Dragon and not from CraigX, beause for some reason all of the problems that plagued the pandora's production seemed to delay Craig's store's orders but not ED's.

Yes dragonbox.de is the official seller if you will. Ithic.com is good too, but ithic depends on dragonbox.de to supply them with pandoras. Im sure ithic will have some soon enough too.

I've ordered from the USA site (ithic.com run by forum member Link) and have been please with the service.
I'm a new owner, and agree that ithic worked very well indeed. I also went back to them for a few accessories

and was just as pleased with that order.

Your first stop should be ithic.com because of your location.

Talk to Link, he's a good guy. If he can't help you out (which I'm sure he can), he will have no problem advising you to order from ED (dragonbox.de).

Out of curiosity - you intend for the Pandora to replace your laptop completely?

This is certainly possible, but what kind of usage scenarios are you talking about?

A Pandora has some strong advantages over a laptop, but then; a laptop has some advantages over a Pandora too.

You should be sure you are making a choice that best suits your requirements.

yeah, order from ithic or dragonbox; either will ship very fast if in stock (so wait until they're in stock, which is a short wait if at all.) It has been a highly unfortunate series of incidents leading up to this point, so pre-orderers and such have had some (large) trials, but new orders are filled quickly.

jeff

Your first stop should be ithic.com because of your location.

Talk to Link, he's a good guy. If he can't help you out (which I'm sure he can), he will have no problem advising you to order from ED (dragonbox.de).

Out of curiosity - you intend for the Pandora to replace your laptop completely?

This is certainly possible, but what kind of usage scenarios are you talking about?

A Pandora has some strong advantages over a laptop, but then; a laptop has some advantages over a Pandora too.

You should be sure you are making a choice that best suits your requirements.

I do not wan't a new laptop, unless it is the Razer Blade (but I won't be getting that anytime soon :p ) due to bad histories with them, and I plan on using the Pandora for quick note taking in class (college, so they don't really mind if I have electronics out as long as I don't distract others), listening to music, as well as retro gaming :rolleyes: . Basically I believe it can do whatever I plan on doing when I'm not at home using the PC.

Of course, my phone does all of this as well, but it doesn't have the awesome keyboard config the Pandora does. And the specs on the Pandora are better xD

As of right now, my laptop is only a thing that I can tinker around with linux. Everything about it is outdated xD - Once I had to switch study rooms at a library, so I unplugged the Laptop's plug. The laptop died right after I passed the door and all it had running was Notepad xD (This thing is at least 5-6 years old)

As posted, I went to ithic and it stated that more will come early November...but it is nearing the end of November. I don't plan on ordering one until Christmas / New Years so I don't know how that will effect me, but what happens happens.

Also to note:

where is craigx's store? I seen him post and people talk about it, but the only stores I saw on the pandora page were ithic's and dragonbox

I've done actual dev off my my Pandora while mobile--that battery life just can't be beat. But be aware that built-in Wifi interferes with Bluetooth to lesser or greater extent; enough that my mobile keyboard to use with the Pandora when I'm doing code development is now a nice little USB one instead. That and a mobile mouse plug into a two-port USB hub which then plugs into the Pandora. Set up with a terminal font that gives you full screen 80 columns, and you're ready to go. I also use the "screen" program to multiplex (more memory efficient than multiple xterm's, and I can switch without moving my fingers from the keyboard). Yes, you will get a LOT of comments if you set up this way in a cafe.

Hi,

I've recently been fed up with my laptop, and I heard about the Open Pandora system and it really seems to fit my needs. I was planning on getting one after Christmas or so (the 1Ghz version), but talk on the forum seems to worry me a bit (refunds, delays, etc). Maybe I'm not getting the bigger picture but still..

So my questions are:

Should I order one around that time? If so, then where? I checked the USA site, and they said they will have more Early November, though it is already nearing the end of it...

If I order one, how long of a wait (apart from shipping time to the States) do I have to wait?

I would love to have a device like this, but as I said before, the talk about refunds and stuff worried me a little, so I thought I could get some clarification :)

If you order from Ithic.com like I did - also in the States here...I got mine within a week and a half...and that was also with Labor Day slowing down the post.

In-stock orders are filled when ordered, the pre-orders are where some of the problem is coming in, you should be fine.

Oh I see

So you are saying that the safest, most reliable place to order it is on the dragonbox site?

I wish the USA site would be in stock due to less shipping for me, but if dragonbox is the most reliable, I guess spending the extra bucks wouldn't hurt :)
Ithic is totally reliable!!

If you order from Ithic.com like I did - also in the States here...I got mine within a week and a half...and that was also with Labor Day slowing down the post.

In-stock orders are filled when ordered, the pre-orders are where some of the problem is coming in, you should be fine.

Oh I see

Ithic is totally reliable!!

I'm not saying that ithic is unreliable as a whole, it's just that as of now, the site still says "More expected early November" and that the 1GHz model is still out of stock.

I guess I meant reliable as in "I can get the 1GHz model without worry of it being out of stock, or if it was it would be stocked really soon"

I didn't mean that ithic is shady, which i do not think it is.

I've done actual dev off my my Pandora while mobile--that battery life just can't be beat. But be aware that built-in Wifi interferes with Bluetooth to lesser or greater extent; enough that my mobile keyboard to use with the Pandora when I'm doing code development is now a nice little USB one instead. That and a mobile mouse plug into a two-port USB hub which then plugs into the Pandora. Set up with a terminal font that gives you full screen 80 columns, and you're ready to go. I also use the "screen" program to multiplex (more memory efficient than multiple xterm's, and I can switch without moving my fingers from the keyboard). Yes, you will get a LOT of comments if you set up this way in a cafe.

Also the lenovo thinkpad keyboard with trackpoint mouse works, through a usb hub. Kind of like having a mini thinkpad in your pack. Everyone seems to comment on the combo, yes :) That is part of the fun.

I'm not saying that ithic is unreliable as a whole, it's just that as of now, the site still says "More expected early November" and that the 1GHz model is still out of stock.

I guess I meant reliable as in "I can get the 1GHz model without worry of it being out of stock, or if it was it would be stocked really soon"

I didn't mean that ithic is shady, which i do not think it is.
That post has been updated on the site. The shipment is prepared and should be en route by mid week. Meaning, I'll get them in about 10 days from now.

Thanks for all the support from past customers posting positive experiences here.

Thanks for all the support from past customers posting positive experiences here.

You're quite welcome. When I was in my stage of wondering which Pandy to get, you were very helpful, answering a number of emails back and forth. You really went above and beyond in my case!

Awesome :)

I'll definitely check back on ithic when it comes time to purchase one :)

Back