Fgen Wip 10/06

Sansha

Still Fresh
Latest news from GP32Spain about the Megadrive emu:

"10/06/2004 - fGen32 WIP (09 de Junio)
Rlyeh and robbrown keep on working restless in the fGen32 in order to provide us the best emu for our handeld.
Latest version runs very fast. Games like Sonic 1 are perfectly playable WITH SOUND @ 133Mhz (auto frameskip may vary a bit) and @ 166MHZ run symply perfect.

Rlyeh hopes he will be able to implement the z80 ASM core from reesy this week, adjust a few things and release a public beta, wich according to his own words will run every game (well, this could be also translated as it will run smoothly, bugless, fast... I don't know exactly what he wants to say, but maybe this second meaning ;).

So, in aprox a week we will have the first public beta of fGen32, with audio, savestates, great compatibility and many things more. Keep your SMC ready."

Sounds great! But I wonder how well other games, like Streets of Rage 3 & Sonic 3, will run with sound...

With the 060104 mailing-list beta, Sonic 3 runs at 50 frames w/o sound @ 166MHz...with it, FS1 could still be feasible, or FS2 in the worst-case. Currently it's some 115% @ FS1 and nearly 150% @ FS2.

It can't run every game, since the ASM core from Dave it is based on does not run it yet. Very good news regardless!

Tell Rlyeh to Release Fmame32 Privet Beta. Can't Wait to Play Street Fighter II and Final Fight on The GP32 BLU

Tell Rlyeh to Release Fmame32 Privet Beta. Can't Wait to Play Street Fighter II and Final Fight on The GP32 BLU
ok...

and while i'm at it i am going to tell you to "go to hell!"

but honestly! if you are new here...and you are...you should know the "rules" and what will happen if you break these rules...

IF YOU WHINE FOR AN EMULATOR OR ASK THE AUTHOR THEN YOU WILL GET FLAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to reply to the comment from kotd in the other thread on this subject (which is now closed):
Um its daves core that giving rlyeh the speed so don't tell him to hurry up.

While Dave's core is a big part of making the emulator run well, it's very unfair to rlyeh and also to me, to say that the core is the only thing making it run well.

I've done a lot of work on the sound engine, and I know that rlyeh has also done a hell of a lot of work on the video and also on the supporting bits - save states, menus etc.

Personally, I'd say that credit for the emulator is about 55% rlyeh, 35% fDave, and 10% me. Not that it matters, because the main thing is that you are going to get an emulator that seriously rocks.

Peace! :D

you can play these on opensnes9x
Which is why I'm not really rooting for MAME emulation. I don't see any good games that can be emulated well on the GP32 that cannot be played on the GEN or SNES.
Think of all the games that never received a proper home port during the 16-bit era:

Sega's multi-68000 titles - graphics and sound took a hit when these titles came home (admittedly, even with Cyclone, emulating these game at speed could be a slight stretch):

Out Run
After Burner
After Burner II
Super Hang-On
Golden Axe
Shinobi

Konami's arcade titles...the first TMNT (which has -never- been ported to a home console, save for TMNT2 on NES, which could have been worse, but paled next to the original); Turtles in Time had its graphics scaled back to run on SNES. (Semi-moot point though, as Konami's oddball graphics hardware would take much more than the GP32 to emulate, I imagine.)

Capcom's CPS-1 games (SFII and the like) were cropped down in detail on the SNES (384 vertical lines for the arcade architecture against 256 on SNES), and had their sound horrendously squished on Genesis/PC-Engine. Games from the CPS-1 last days (Rockman Power Battle for one) never had a chance to be ported to SNES. And SNES Final Fight and doesn't deserve to be compared with the original.

Also, many console ports were dumbed down in difficulty, since quarter-munching was no longer their top priority. Some of the Street Fighters were toned down; Gradius III, both Ninja Turtles, and the After Burner titles were tremendously easier on console than in the arcades.

Even as far as Z80 games...how many of these Sega titles were ported to Master System/Genesis?

Angel Kids
Ali Baba and 40 Thieves
Appoooh
Bank Panic
Calorie vs Moguranian
Champion Baseball
Champion Baseball 2
Champion Boxing
Champion Pro Wrestling
Commando
Counter Run
Flashgal
Flower
Free Kick
Frogger
Gigas
Gigas Mark II
Guttong Gottong
Hopper Robo
KO Punch
Moon Cresta
Pengo
Penta
Repulse
Space Firebird
Space Position
Super Locomotive
Super Moon Cresta
Tactician
Turpin
Yamato

Many of the legendary arcade titles of the mid-80s (both Pole Positions, Galaga, the entire Atari Vs. line, etc.) used the Z80, but were not properly ported/emulated until the 16-bit era had passed by, and the hardware of the time (Coleco, NES, VCS, C64) wasn't up to the task of a proper port.

Well, the SNES/GENESIS versions of the games seem fine to me. I still don't think MAME emulation on the GP32 is worth it, but that's just me.

I just have to reply to the comment from kotd in the other thread on this subject (which is now closed):
Um its daves core that giving rlyeh the speed so don't tell him to hurry up.

While Dave's core is a big part of making the emulator run well, it's very unfair to rlyeh and also to me, to say that the core is the only thing making it run well.

I've done a lot of work on the sound engine, and I know that rlyeh has also done a hell of a lot of work on the video and also on the supporting bits - save states, menus etc.

Personally, I'd say that credit for the emulator is about 55% rlyeh, 35% fDave, and 10% me. Not that it matters, because the main thing is that you are going to get an emulator that seriously rocks.

Peace! :D
Sorry robster & Rlyeh I misphrased it :( I was just saying that Daves busy working on the core therefore he doesn't have time to implement all the awesome feaures that rlyeh has. I was not saying that its Daves core that does all the work speed wise as fgen runs better than gigadrive :) Of course I know rlyehs doing a lot of the work hence I donated him $10 and will donate some more ;)

Rlyeh hopes he will be able to implement the z80 ASM core from reesy this week, adjust a few things and release a public beta, wich according to his own words will run every game (well, this could be also translated as it will run smoothly, bugless, fast... I don't know exactly what he wants to say, but maybe this second meaning ;).
the exact translation its "could to swallow everything" ;); sounds really bad, the translation its that will run with everything.

very soon public beta for all =)

rlyeh powa!

Well, the SNES/GENESIS versions of the games seem fine to me. I still don't think MAME emulation on the GP32 is worth it, but that's just me.
MAME is worth it :D

Think of all the Old Retro Games like the Original Space Invaders, Galaxians Etc Etc Etc Playing them games on the gp32_console would kick ass :D

Keep up the Good work on the Gen Emu All ;) B)

MAME is worth it :D

Think of all the Old Retro Games like the Original Space Invaders, Galaxians Etc Etc Etc Playing them games on the gp32_console would kick ass :D

Keep up the Good work on the Gen Emu All ;) B)
Could just use Atari, MSX, and some other old retro emulators to emulate those games...

Anyways, we shouldn't continue this as we are going off-topic.

Back