Fgen Wip 10/06

Well, the SNES/GENESIS versions of the games seem fine to me. I still don't think MAME emulation on the GP32 is worth it, but that's just me.
MAME is worth it :D

Think of all the Old Retro Games like the Original Space Invaders, Galaxians Etc Etc Etc Playing them games on the gp32_console would kick ass :D

Keep up the Good work on the Gen Emu All ;) B)
Yup, any anyone remember the Simpsons arcade game?

Odd story but great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, i am spanish and my english sux :rolleyes:

I have just probe Golden Axe 2 and.... wow it is cool!!!

Golden axe 2 , 132mhz , sound ON , frameskip auto = REALLY GOOD!!!

^_^

cia0 B)

Ah man, this is going to rock!!!! I cant wait to Rock some Sonic on my GP32!!! I almost went as far, back in the day, to get a nomad to play the ol GEN on the go! My dream, is finally a reality!

And as far as MAME goes, no offense to you Azure, but isnt any emulator worth it? I think talking about how an emulator could be potentially useless should be as rude as begging for one. IMHO. :) But again no disrespect!

And just look at what we've got so far from Ryleh, and many other great coders on the GP32, things that we thought were impossible... Linux, SNES, and soon, FULL SPEED GEN! (to me, it seems to be one of the toughest things to emulate, harder then SNES i think) and my gosh, i would just LOVE to see simpsons on my GP32!!!! (and I mean the arcade game) maybe some sweet tumblepop!

By the way, i have a quick question, maybe someone could pass it along to ryleh too, (more like a suggestion) maybe hes already thought of this, but what about a six button scheme like so...

Button #1 - a
#2 - b
#3 - a+b
#4 - 1
#5 - r
#6- l+r
Credit - select
Start - Start
Menu - start + select

I thought of that in the shower, thought it was pretty genius myself! ;)

Hmmm, I also have an idea. Lemi think it though... yeah.... right here it is. We *could* just keep using the normal 3 button controlls we have now... maybe...

a+b for C sounds dumb. I'd keep with 3 buttons, but look at what we have... L, R, A, B, Select, Start - make Start = Select + Start, and perhaps A+B+Start for menu, and you got your 6 buttons!

Most games only use 5 buttons anyway like streets of rage 3 and ultimate mortal kombat 3 which uses 2 block buttons (1 is enough). So being able to map out the buttons x or y or z for either L or R on the Gp32 is a better idea.

most games seem to only need 3 so I'm not worried, but a button mapping function like osnes would be ideal, especially for forgotten worlds so you could use L+R to rotate left + right.... perfick!

Well, the SNES/GENESIS versions of the games seem fine to me. I still don't think MAME emulation on the GP32 is worth it, but that's just me.

Think of all the Old Retro Games like the Original Space Invaders, Galaxians Etc Etc Etc Playing them games on the gp32_console would kick ass :D

Could just use Atari, MSX, and some other old retro emulators to emulate those games...

Anyways, we shouldn't continue this as we are going off-topic.
While that is your opinion I dissagree. Those early arcade games on MSX etc. are crappy conversions. The sound, graphics etc. are usually butched and are only vaguely similar to the real thing.

It would certainly be great to have the ORIGINAL versions of these classics on the GP32. It may never happen but it would be nice.

Could just use Atari, MSX, and some other old retro emulators to emulate those games...

Anyways, we shouldn't continue this as we are going off-topic.
While that is your opinion I dissagree. Those early arcade games on MSX etc. are crappy conversions. The sound, graphics etc. are usually butched and are only vaguely similar to the real thing.

It would certainly be great to have the ORIGINAL versions of these classics on the GP32. It may never happen but it would be nice.
Some of the conversions on the Amiga for games such as Star Wars (Atari) were excellent. The MSX might not have the raw power to emulate/mimick those early arcade games, but ST surely does.

Some of the conversions on the Amiga for games such as Star Wars (Atari) were excellent. The MSX might not have the raw power to emulate/mimick those early arcade games, but ST surely does.
Actually the sound chip is too weak to do accurate sounds of many arcade games. Plus the ST emulator on the GP32 is not full speed.

Well, I have the last private beta. It runs Sonic 3 with no sound perfectly! So does ristar, sonic spinball, and sonic 3d! I hope this one is better.

I have also got the latest fGen beta. Not sure if i should mention this here, but on Sonic 2, when the demo of Emerald Hill zone plays, it either crashes on fGen (blank screen) or it is a scrambled screen on GigaDrive. Gunstar heroes also has scrolling problems on the title screen (fGEN) and horizontal scrolling problems on the Captain Orange level 3 (on GigaDrive), making it unplayable. Also on Sonic 3D, on the special stage, there is also a scambled screen again (on both emus). I am not sure if its just the roms i got or a bug with the emus (cyclone), as no-one else has seemed to have mentioned them :p

Both Mega Drive emus are awesome by the way, have very good potential. Cannot wait until there even more updates and fixes, these coming months are going to be exciting indeed :D

Cheers,

i was playing nhl'94 and slimeworld for a longer time and both randomly freeze with fgen.
i'm not sure, but i remember, it happened after a few seconds after leaving the main menu....

I just have to reply to the comment from kotd in the other thread on this subject (which is now closed):
Um its daves core that giving rlyeh the speed so don't tell him to hurry up.

While Dave's core is a big part of making the emulator run well, it's very unfair to rlyeh and also to me, to say that the core is the only thing making it run well.

I've done a lot of work on the sound engine, and I know that rlyeh has also done a hell of a lot of work on the video and also on the supporting bits - save states, menus etc.

Personally, I'd say that credit for the emulator is about 55% rlyeh, 35% fDave, and 10% me. Not that it matters, because the main thing is that you are going to get an emulator that seriously rocks.

Peace! :D

All true, but it's 80% Charles Macdonald as well!! ;)

He's works tirelessly to create the perfect Genesis emulator (Genesis Plus), which I understand fGen is based of originally - is that right?, and he's just had a major tragedy in his life, heis brother just died :-(

Charles researchs Sega hardware maticulously, noting down exactly how each register works. He is indeed a major factor in the accuracy of modern emulators

Basically everyone in emulation works hard so each of us can all enjoy all games from any time period on any machine

Tell Rlyeh to Release Fmame32 Privet Beta. Can't Wait to Play Street Fighter II and Final Fight on The GP32 BLU
you can play these on opensnes9x
Which is why I'm not really rooting for MAME emulation. I don't see any good games that can be emulated well on the GP32 that cannot be played on the GEN or SNES.
Think of all the games that never received a proper home port during the 16-bit era:

Sega's multi-68000 titles - graphics and sound took a hit when these titles came home (admittedly, even with Cyclone, emulating these game at speed could be a slight stretch):

Out Run
After Burner
After Burner II
Super Hang-On
Golden Axe
Shinobi

Konami's arcade titles...the first TMNT (which has -never- been ported to a home console, save for TMNT2 on NES, which could have been worse, but paled next to the original); Turtles in Time had its graphics scaled back to run on SNES. (Semi-moot point though, as Konami's oddball graphics hardware would take much more than the GP32 to emulate, I imagine.)

Capcom's CPS-1 games (SFII and the like) were cropped down in detail on the SNES (384 vertical lines for the arcade architecture against 256 on SNES), and had their sound horrendously squished on Genesis/PC-Engine. Games from the CPS-1 last days (Rockman Power Battle for one) never had a chance to be ported to SNES. And SNES Final Fight and doesn't deserve to be compared with the original.

Also, many console ports were dumbed down in difficulty, since quarter-munching was no longer their top priority. Some of the Street Fighters were toned down; Gradius III, both Ninja Turtles, and the After Burner titles were tremendously easier on console than in the arcades.

Even as far as Z80 games...how many of these Sega titles were ported to Master System/Genesis?

Angel Kids
Ali Baba and 40 Thieves
Appoooh
Bank Panic
Calorie vs Moguranian
Champion Baseball
Champion Baseball 2
Champion Boxing
Champion Pro Wrestling
Commando
Counter Run
Flashgal
Flower
Free Kick
Frogger
Gigas
Gigas Mark II
Guttong Gottong
Hopper Robo
KO Punch
Moon Cresta
Pengo
Penta
Repulse
Space Firebird
Space Position
Super Locomotive
Super Moon Cresta
Tactician
Turpin
Yamato

Many of the legendary arcade titles of the mid-80s (both Pole Positions, Galaga, the entire Atari Vs. line, etc.) used the Z80, but were not properly ported/emulated until the 16-bit era had passed by, and the hardware of the time (Coleco, NES, VCS, C64) wasn't up to the task of a proper port.

TMNT never got a port - that's why I gotinto emulation with DTMNT in the first place ;)

CPS and Neo Geo games are obviously very important, as well as many many other titles. And also a lot of the Z80 era games, very important to get these on GP32

System 16 is actually comparible to a Megadrive. Out Run, X Board and Y Board is a stretch yes

As for whether TMNT would run on the GP32 with Cyclone? No problem imho - again it's comparible to a Megadrive really... don't know for sure about later Konami stuff but TMNT should be fine at least

Back