Files locked on FAT card in Slackware

joachim

Somehow I changed the permission of the complete SD card in Slackware (this is a FAT card) and all files / dirs show a lock sign. Some apps cant save their data (TVBrowser I guess).

What can I do ? Thanks for help.

Huh? Does fat even support permission managing? 

Anyway have you checked the write protect lever first? 

No symbolic links too.

Btw, this thread would have suited better in the Other OS section.

Ok , problem solved after reboot all back to normal. The FAT card is my 2nd card with all pnds not Slackware (ext2) and when I tried to delete a file I got the Info " not allowed , file system is read-only". So all is ok now, but how could this come ?

Run a chkdsk or fdisk.  That occurs when Linux encounters an error (any error) on a FAT file system.  Rather than risk screwing up the disk further it just makes it read-only.  It's almost certainly a single file or directory that's causing the problem, like one PND has gotten corrupted or something.

Yeah, the only way to make FAT32 files read-only is to mount the filesystem as such. Next time it happens, you should check dmesg|grep mount for clues. An FS issue could cause this, but it normally wouldn't go away by rebooting. I bet the wrong mount script got executed or someting. 

It only remounts as read-only when it encounters the corrupted file.  Rebooting will reset the flag and everything will appear normal until next time it encounters a corrupted file.

Dumb question is the the SD card's lock switch enabled? that would make it read only.

The Pandora doesn't respect the lock switch, unless that's a new feature that Notaz slipped in recently.

The Pandora doesn't respect the lock switch, unless that's a new feature that Notaz slipped in recently.
Hmm, you're right.. I always assumed the lock switch was being utilized..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back