Film Converstion

Thunderchild

Website
Visit site
I am trying to convert some films for when I get my GP2x, when I convert them they come out as an .avi file. Will this format play on the GP2x?

Sorry if this seems a silly question but I have only copied dvd to dvd before not changed the format.

Thanx in advance.

gp32_console

With the notorious-first-batch movie player, I highly recommend you encoding with divx, not xvid. :) (and make it has less data stream 2meg per sec) it has some problem with xvid right now.

Well, it might be solved before you got yours. I believe. :lol:

EDIT:

XVID has speeding problems (and some more)
DIVX with high-data stream (>2M) seems lost it's sync between picture and sound a bit.

well, ok for uncaonverted videos it may be common, but for 320*240 you barely see a improvement after 200kbit.

With the notorious-first-batch movie player, I highly recommend you encoding with divx, not xvid. :) (and make it has less data stream 2meg per sec) it has some problem with xvid right now.

Well, it might be solved before you got yours. I believe. :lol:

EDIT:

XVID has speeding problems (and some more)
DIVX with high-data stream (>2M) seems lost it's sync between picture and sound a bit.

and the h264?

it's the best codec for low bitrates and osX support it good.. does it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
h264 isnt jet supported, however h263 is. maybe in a future update, who knows, but they are likely focusing on fixing the bugs first.

h264 isnt jet supported, however h263 is. maybe in a future update, who knows, but they are likely focusing on fixing the bugs first.

oook :p

i don't think to have enough money for gp2x until 3-4months :D

i could also wait for an italian distributor or a little videogames shop that sells it (i'm pretty paranoid with e-commerce)

well, ok for uncaonverted videos it may be common, but for 320*240 you barely see a improvement after 200kbit.

Thats not true, depending on the codec you use even 392 would look terrible on the GP2X's 320x240 screen. While still images may look perfectly fine, high amounts of animation (such as an action scene) wont. The animation WILL LOOK fuzzed if you do it much lower. Still watchable though.

I'd reccommend 512+kbps for video, and 192kbps audio. After this, you wont get much increase in quality, and it seems to be the sweet spot for handheld video. I believe it would look good on the TV at those rates as well.

Edit: Oh, and stay far, far away from windows media.

192kbps is likely excessive for audio for non-audiophiles... I and most people I have heard of use 128 with some reasonably good Codec.

Speaking of Codecs, what to use? I'm using avidemux2, which I would suggest everyone else have a go at as well. I know nothing about the codecs listed in it, however, so I'd appreciate some help on that front.

And AireTamStorm, what's in your sig there?

I like 350-750 kb/s for the video and just 128 AAC is WAY more then enough quality for any film, unless it has LOADS of music, but most movies are just alot of talking so even 64kb/s would be fine, and if you don't mind just knock off the second channel and you will get double quality!

"but for 320*240 you barely see a improvement after 200kbit."
Now I don't know what codec you are using, what your standards are, what type of movie you like (animation might be ok at that) or if you are using the same measurement (I believe you are but I always get cofused with bit's and bytes). I have to say about 1,000kb's is perfect (750kb/s for h.264).

Xvid doesn't work properly?!?!
I just finished encoding my anime and other random movie/tv show collection into xvid 320x240! Does this mean i'll have to start over with divx? Also, about how small can you make a 20-25 minute anime at 320x240 without losing too much quality? (I encoded mine into 100MB each)

100 MB sounds plenty. I use about 100 MB per 30 minutes for my Zodiac and that's twice the resolution and for normal movies. (Quality is always more or less perfect.)

If I plan on keeping some videos on the SD card for a while without having access to my computer, I'm gonna be using 75MB for a 21min show (30min without commercials) and 150MB for a 42min show (1hr without commercials). This is only to view on a the gp2x screen, not using tv-out. I encoded some files using AutoGK and then, when playing back on my computer, made the output be just a tad under 2.75" wide (which I think is what the gp2x's screen is) and they looked just fine to me.

The 150MB I tested was an episode of Smallville, which is in widescreen...so "full" screen may require a bit more...but max I'm gonna go is 87 and 175 respectively.

Now...when I've downloaded some eps overnight that I wanna watch while at class/work or something, I'll just drop them on the card...and that's the beauty of the gp2x :) I can't wait for the machine to support 2GB/4GB SD cards!

Back