Release Final Burn Alpha ported to Pandora (FAQ in first post)

I've uploaded a public beta with the capex front end into the repo.

I haven't got a large romset to test with so if people report broken roms I'll look into it.

Roms need to go in apdata/fba-dave18/roms/

Don't change the scaling option to anything other than no scale as it is likely to cause problem as scaling is already done by sdl lib (picorestore might fix if you do though).

Enjoy

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Can't believe how two versions fall within the same week after Chinese New Year #1, #2, #3, #4.

Noticing after exiting a rom and going back to the front end, eventually exits me to desktop automatically. Have to relaunch. No complaints so far play wise on anything I tried!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Snap! This is awesome, great work guys.

I'm heading out the door right now to go to the movies, but once I get back in, I will for sure report back on performance and what does and doesn't run.

Chris

Apologies if this is completely obvious, but how do i run this current build..? i have a complete (i think) romset & a day off work tomorrow so am eager to do some serious testing.

Seams this is based on an early build games like afterburner and outrun are not supported also would be good to know what romset this uses is it earlier or later merged or split put 106 romset in and quite a few games show up tried gigawing it seams to be missing a background layer and dimahoo it worked had pandora overclocked to 1ghz and sound quality up high .also scrolling the gamelist fast seams to put the emu graphics out of sync tried to load a game and it loaded two games at the same time ie graphics for dimahoo and dodonpachi sound(very distorted for dimahoo) dodonpachi no sound strange?

i've tried street fighter (sfa.zip) and also have the problem of missing background layers and some sounds not playing. also it seems it doesnt switch to the correct resolution, rendering is kind of off.

what i remember - on my very early port try i had a similar problem with just using 2 buffers for rendering but it vanished when changing to 4 like the original source had. maybe that helps.

Ok a little compatibility update this is with the mame ex romset cps1 games work perfectly tried final fight strider and willow they ran flawlessly cave and raizing games run perfect aswell tried donpachi dodonpachi guwange battle garrega all loaded no problem and ran fullspeed cps2 games have a missing background layer but load and play ok neogeo is a mixed bag magician lord and ghost pilots load and have same problem as cps2 (missing layer) all older games ie 1994 onward crash the emulator dont know if this is incompatible roms or not ive used the merged set ie bios and rom in same folder will try non merged tmorrow.Basically we have same compatibility as psp build with added incentive of games that had memory problems loading (raizing games)

Repo updated. Capcom games should now have backgrounds.

@link - if people think this is worth a bounty payout (haven't read the terms and don't know how polished it needs to be) then my vote would be to split it 50/50 between me and crow_riot as it seems that we've both put the same amount of effort in.

Thanks to dave18 and crow_riot. This is a great and much anticipated release. Everything I've tested runs perfectly at 100% speed. Only comment I have on the beta is that a large portion of the graphics on the left and right sides are cut off. This seems to be consistent for all of the games I've tried (only Cave and CPS2 so far).

Awesome!

I too am experiencing lots of the sides being cropped out and the emulator quitting after leaving a game.

A bit of comparison testing.

dave18 version (repo)

1941.zip* - Mostly good, some missing gfx (mostly on account of using less screen area - some elements are chopped off) and occasional sound pops

1944.zip - Missing background, minor (but regular) sound glitches

1945kiii.zip* - Gfx fine, some sound glitch/crackle.

19xx.zip* - Starts with sound but no gfx until coin is inserted. Playable, but no background and the usual sound glitches.

avsp.zip - Too many missing gfx elements to list. Probably no need to keep mentioning sound.

ghouls.zip - Missing background. Interesting way to play actually. Minimal sound issues (much like 1941)

gigawing.zip - Lots of missing gfx & text.

mslug.zip - Great apart from sound.

* Vertical games (rotated). Screen area is cut off at each end.

Great to see Capex included. 800x480 version planned?

crow_riot version (post #82)

1941.zip* - Uses full screen area, all gfx appear present. Sound is good (occasional pop)

1944.zip - All gfx appear to be present. Sound as above.

1945kiii.zip* - As above.

19xx.zip* - As above.

avsp.zip - As above.

ghouls.zip - As above.

gigawing.zip - As above.

mslug.zip - As above.

* Vertical games (rotated). The d-pad axes are incorrect in these games (x/y swapped)

All said, crow_riot's version is the better experience at this point. Looking forward to a front end (or for these ports to be merged). Thanks to both of you for your efforts so far!

Apologies if this is completely obvious, but how do i run this current build..? i have a complete (i think) romset & a day off work tomorrow so am eager to do some serious testing.
To run crow_riot's beta in post #82, extract the zip to SD card. On the Pandora, browse to that folder in Thunar, and double click fba.sh. right click and open a terminal there. Enter this:

Code:
./fba.sh

..and it will launch with the Zenity file picker. Having your ROMs in the same folder will save you some navigation.

Hit Esc to exit a game, and you'll be back in the terminal. From here hit Up on the d-pad, you will see that it repeats the last entered command so you can just hit Enter to re-launch.

hey gruso, thanks for comparison/testing, very much appreciated.

i thought my beta would get missed ... luckily not :)

vertical game key mapping is a known issue, i've removed the double mapping gp2x->burn, pandora->gp2x and directly go pandora->burn and the vertical mapping is not done (not difficult at all, but not yet done ;) )

about launching fba.sh ... i can just go and directly start fba.sh from thunar: just hit enter on the file when it is selected; i dont need to open terminal at all ...

The most recent update of dave18's/repo version deals with the background issues for the CPS2/Capcom titles. If you're having issues with screen cropping, change your settings in FBA to Window: software (So press Select to bring up the options on the game selection front end, scroll down to Window and change 'No' to 'software' by pressing A).

If you're having issues with screen cropping, change your settings in FBA to Window: software (So press Select to bring up the options on the game selection front end, scroll down to Window and change 'No' to 'software' by pressing A).

OK tried this & it doesn't solve the cropping issues for me..any ideas?

Is it just me or is there a ton of missing games (that are supported in all the other FBA versions) from the launcher.. Bubble Bobble etc, etc does this mean they are not supported in this version or is it a frontend issue?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I grabbed the rominfo files for CAPEX from here

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,73,2522

I've just notice that this one also exists for the actual version I ported

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,73,2684

I'm assuming this is the correct list.

I also assume that you can drop the new files into the appdata/fba-dave18 directory and the union filesystem will pick those new files first.

I will update the files in the pnd for the next release.

On the scaling issue, the current port using a 320 x 240 screen as per the gp2x. I'll look into utilising the extra real estate on the pandora to show whole screen without scaling.

Dave

Back