Release Firefox 23.0.1 in repo

Actually I used Avast! for years, but lately is becoming a pain in the ass... I had to disable all it's "advertisement" popup boxes, the sandbox that was starting by default (without asking) at every application launched, and like 70% of them were acting strange...like games that were loosing config and save files...

I was thinking I had some kind of virus, but was actually the antivirus...

oh, I also had to uninstall (because there was no option to disable it) the new updater thing that was added to maintain all your application up to date

and finally I had to disable even the "auto-report" thing that was constantly sending data to the developers... at any time...

seems like every time a great little program with one purpose makes success, it became a whale, filled with crap

1: Never had a FireFox update that messed something up.

2: It takes some seconds to update

3: I get a newer version which is better

That's why I like updates.

As long as I can update when I want, am told that there's an update and what's new (Windows is the opposite).

I hate auto updates.

^ +1

Antivirus definition-files are an exception though, I want them to be up to date without me having to confirm this every time I boot Windows.

And updates can be a pain even under Linux sometimes, for example having graphics drivers tied to a special kernel version, which means that after an update it won't be able to start the graphical UI, but you cannot update the graphics-driver before a reboot, because then you're still running the old kernel ... I know there are workarounds, but still ...

Anyway, this whole update-talk is going way too far offtopic!! I am grateful to have an up-to-date version of Firefox on the Pandora which gave me not a single issue after updating the .PND, and all this rambling about general update issues just shows that the .PND runs pretty well in general (otherwise people would rambling on-topic) ^_^

I noticed the delay from accessing the SD-card often, but I guess this is a trade-off regarding RAM-usage? Apart from that it feels quite responsive, better than earlier versions.

I noticed one bug where sometimes pressing the "next" button in a form would open an additional tab with the next page. This seems to be a general bug though, since it happened on my desktop as well.

Lol, is that why you got that nasty virus recently? Because Avast! Doesn't bother you with updates?

Edit: Shouldn't be an insult or something, just thought that was a little funny.
Actually, I got set up with Avast AFTER the crappy virus.  The guy who fixed my computer set me up with that.  Smartass. :)

Actually I used Avast! for years, but lately is becoming a pain in the ass... I had to disable all it's "advertisement" popup boxes, the sandbox that was starting by default (without asking) at every application launched, and like 70% of them were acting strange...like games that were loosing config and save files...

I was thinking I had some kind of virus, but was actually the antivirus...

oh, I also had to uninstall (because there was no option to disable it) the new updater thing that was added to maintain all your application up to date

and finally I had to disable even the "auto-report" thing that was constantly sending data to the developers... at any time...

seems like every time a great little program with one purpose makes success, it became a whale, filled with crap
Probably need to uninstall, and then re-install once in a while, then, to get it to be not full of crap.

See, this is a problem with any and all antivirus programs.  I just wish the hackers would quit thier bullshit.  Fat chance.

hdonk, any idea why a number of extensions refuse to install in Firefox 23 (not new, but still the same with this version) ? 

Is there anything to do about it or any way to log the errors to understand why they don't install ? 

hdonk, any idea why a number of extensions refuse to install in Firefox 23 (not new, but still the same with this version) ? 

Is there anything to do about it or any way to log the errors to understand why they don't install ? 
As far as I'm aware, the only reason for installation failures for extension is setting permissions on non ext sdcards. I don't have one set up to test though.

Most likely the file-system: I once had problems installing Ghostery on my fat32 partition. After moving Firefox to an ext4 partition I never had any problems again. Since then I only keep an fat32 partition on my SD card so I can easily exchange data with Windows.

As far as I'm aware, the only reason for installation failures for extension is setting permissions on non ext sdcards. I don't have one set up to test though.
SOmehow I don't think that;s the only reason. Ghostery refused to install on Firefox 22, but now installs without any issue on Firefox 23. There must be something else at work. 

SOmehow I don't think that;s the only reason. Ghostery refused to install on Firefox 22, but now installs without any issue on Firefox 23. There must be something else at work. 
It's possible Mozilla fixed the issue so the install no longer fails when permission setting fails - I did have a patch which did that for earlier releases of FF, but they rewrote the install code in the last few revisions in a way that should have made this a non issue...

maybe you can backup the appdata and PND, try the new version and if something goes wrong restore the old files

Heck, I think I'm still running FF 19 or 20 on my Pandy, LOL - have to look.  Hadn't updated in ages...I do not use my Pandy as a browser very often anyway.

Most places I would do that...I have my laptop with me anyway.

ekianjo,

Try launching Firefox from the terminal command line with the "sudo" command.

Right click the Firefox icon and select properties. One of the tabs will have the launcher line, something with pndrun in it. Copy that whole line and paste it in a terminal after entering sudo .

This should launch Firefox with permission to install just about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, I think I'm still running FF 19 or 20 on my Pandy, LOL - have to look.  Hadn't updated in ages...I do not use my Pandy as a browser very often anyway.

Most places I would do that...I have my laptop with me anyway.
Try to update.

When you're 3 versions behind you might have some noticeable speed improvement :) .

I can't promise but for me Version 23 feels faster then 22.

Back