Release Firefox 3.6.10

Does this version still store temp. files and cache on NAND?
if so, just go to about:config and change it to ram only.. (there may even be a setting for that in the normal config menu, diddn't check)

Isn't the file cache in .mozilla/firefox/????.default/Cache? If so, it's on the SD!!

As I recall, the cache goes to $HOME, and one of the things the PND does is set HOME=SD card before starting the actual executable.

There's shouldn't be anything preventing you from setting $HOME/.mozilla -> path-to-sd-card/your-mozilla-dir though? That's what I do for my .map directory on my N800, for example (Maemo Mapper map data).

As I recall, the cache goes to $HOME, and one of the things the PND does is set HOME=SD card before starting the actual executable.
But not every program uses $HOME to determine the home directory. For example, g_get_home_dir() of the GLib prefers passwd entries over $HOME.

But not every program uses $HOME to determine the home directory. For example, g_get_home_dir() of the GLib prefers passwd entries over $HOME.
We're not talking about every program, we're talking about Firefox, which does respect the $HOME variable.

How feasible is it to move your home dir over to the SD card? I suppose you could have a partition on your SD card that you mount at /home. I guess any solution would be potentially problematic in that it'd require you to always have the SD card present - but at least you've got two slots to cope with that sort of thing.

How feasible is it to move your home dir over to the SD card? I suppose you could have a partition on your SD card that you mount at /home. I guess any solution would be potentially problematic in that it'd require you to always have the SD card present - but at least you've got two slots to cope with that sort of thing.
It's entirely feasible, but why would you want to? The OS depends on your home directory to save assorted settings. If you move it to an SD card, you will have to keep that SD card in at all times and can never unmount it. At which point in time why don't you just go whole hog and install the full OS onto the SD card itself?

The people that are so worried about the nand should just run everything off of the left(or right) SD card, get a 16 or 32 gig card and run everything on it never removing it.

The next Pandora revision should put a micro SD slot underneath the battery or something and run the OS off of it by default, never touching the nand, some people are just paranoid about wearing that thing out. That is what the B&N nook does by default, not that one has to worry about the NAND being worn out before a color e-ink display is released. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be quite happy with one of the SD card slots not being external, if that could be designed in somehow next time round.

It's entirely feasible, but why would you want to? The OS depends on your home directory to save assorted settings. If you move it to an SD card, you will have to keep that SD card in at all times and can never unmount it. At which point in time why don't you just go whole hog and install the full OS onto the SD card itself?
True enough. However, on any Linux box I've used, my home directory is one of the busiest directories on the system. My Eee PC has the root folder mounted on the small non-wear-levelling SSD while my home directory is on the larger, replaceable, wear-levelling SSD. But as you say, just popping the OS image on an SD card and running it from there would solve any problems people though they might have with NAND wearing.

That said, the Pandora is a different beastie - it's more likely to be a single-user machine and the expected mode of operation is to have all apps on an SD card via the PND system. I'd guess most users home directories aren't all that big - certainly not the gigabytes mine usually end up being.

Back