Firefox And Large File Downloads

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
It seems to be that firefox seems to choke when trying to download a file greater than 4GB from a http:// style address - anyone else noticed this? It seems to chop the file off at the 4GB mark and then say either it couldn't save the file, or assumes it's complete.

I know fat32 has a 4GB limit on file sizes, but I'm running NTFS on all my drives, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I get the exact same problem at 2GB.

Oh, but i thought...

I just discovered wannadoo cut file transfers after 2GB exactly and just remembered they block the usual mail ports.

I have just noticed that wannadoo are now called Orange, and they do not do what you just described.
They do. They don't enfocre bandwidth limits for 27.99 a month but what they do do is cut transfers spot on at 2 gig. As they did with vista 3 times yesterday. Thats 6 gig of bandwidth they made me waste and I have had them since way back in the freeserve days when they were part of the Dixons group so I think I know what they do.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the exact same problem at 2GB.

Oh, but i thought...

I just discovered wannadoo cut file transfers after 2GB exactly and just remembered they block the usual mail ports.

I have just noticed that wannadoo are now called Orange, and they do not do what you just described.
They do. They don't enfocre bandwidth limits for 27.99 a month but what they do do is cut transfers spot on at 2 gig. As they did with vista 3 times yesterday. Thats 6 gig of bandwidth they made me waste and I have had them since way back in the freeserve days when they were part of the Dixons group so I think I know what they do.

;)
We'll it could be either. Seeing as the limit with FF is 4gig and mine was two then its still orange 'wannawankers' that cut off my Vista download.

I'm going to prove you wrong by downloading Vista. (I'm on Wannado)

EDIT: Can't be arsed.

I'm going to prove you wrong by downloading Vista. (I'm on Wannado)

EDIT: Can't be arsed.
Do not download Vista. Its totally and I mean totally fucked my pc.

Well, it's not fucked my Virtual PC's BIOS yet :)

Must say though, after trying to download Vista twice, and having it chopped off after 4GB each time means I've wasted about a gig of bandwidth (my bandwidth is only measured between 4pm till Midnight, otherwise it's completely uncapped).

Tried the 32-bit version however, and feel that there's currently no compelling reason to upgrade - it just seems to want to annoy with yet more fluffyness (I hate message boxes that think it's fun to fade in and out), nannying (are you sure? are you really sure?) and annoyances (When I load a program, I don't expect to be asked "Can I do this?" "Can I do this too?" - just one "I need to escalate my priviledges" is quite enough).

Any OS has the potential to seriiously crash your PC, it's just a risk you need to take. Obviously though the risk is greatly reduced if you stick to retail OS's instead of beta ones.

I'd say in this case however, your PC dieing is just a coincidence and probably not related to Vista.

Firefox downloads massive files really fine. I download OS's in ISO format (4.5 gigs) with firefox with no problems. It could be your internet host.

Yes, sounds like Firefox is (or has been) using 32-bit integers in places where it should be using 64-bit ones.

For the uninitiated, a 32-bit integer can go upto 4294967295, which just happens to be 4GB.

Seems like it trips up quite a few download managers, too.

Back