Firefox Mobile Hit 1.0.

second exodous

Advanced Member
I know FF mobile has been mentioned before but now it's 1.0 so I think that warrants a new thread. You can watch the video, not much in it, but it looks pretty cool. Right now it's only for the N900, if someone compiles it for the Pandora maybe they can get it up on the download page and have people think 'what the heck is the Pandora' and research a little and discover it. I've only used Safari on the iPhone as far as mobile is concerned but this looks pretty cool.

Link.

Oops, yeah, I read on the /. threads that it was for all Maemo platforms not just the N900 but the FF page only lists the N900 right now as it's the only one tested.

Also, as of right now Flash support, or rather the lack thereof, doesn't concern us.

Apparently it supports flash, but is disabled by default, because it's too slow.
Edit:
I might test it on my N800 tomorrow. I tested one of the alphas a few months ago and it was crap.

Everyone on the thread you linked says its slow, so maybe it's not good? I still would prefer it for the plug-ins when useful ones start showing up. I still use FF on the desktop because of the plug-ins even though Chrome is faster, so maybe I'll be the same way on my Pandora.

If anyone has the N900 give it a shot as it is the closest device to the Pandora right now.

second exodous said:
If anyone has the N900 give it a shot as it is the closest device to the Pandora right now.
B-ZaR? ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting from firefox mobile 1.0. So far so good. The browser is fairly responsive and the sidebars are a nice touch. Scrolling is not as fluid as with microb and apparently flash support is missing (not enabled because it works sub par) for now.

Weave works great, albeit a bit slow at least on the first run. I had quite a many tabs open for syncing though. To clarify, it doesn't open all your desktop tabs in your mobile firefox, but shows a page with quick access links to those pages. Getting my history and bookmarks from my desktop really speeds up mobile browsing, as does getting all stored user credentials. This is great!

There are some differences between microb and firefox mobile in zooming. Microb automatically zooms out a web page if it's too big, but only as far as readability allows. It won't let the text get too small. Firefox mobile does not have this restriction, but rather always zooms all out giving an overview of the page to zoom in for closer inspection. Which is better is a matter of opinion.

Firefox has the double tap zoom like microb, but without the smooth animation. I like that animation. Firefox does not have the screw-in zoom, which I almost never use anyway. Both use the volume keys to adjust zoom.

Text looks more blurry in firefox when zoomed out. Still readable, but blurry. Microb keeps the text sharp.

A small, but noticeable difference in integration is the location of the system menu button (typically in the top left corner). In firefox it's in the address bar, at the top of each page. If you're reading a long page and want to check an email, you have to (well, no, as there is a key combo, but not everyone knows it) scroll to the top of the page losing your place in the page to switch applications. I'd rather have it in the left side bar (tab bar) for quick access.

Bottom line: Make it faster, support flash, and you just might win a place as my default browser. Weave is a key factor here.

Any questions?

EDIT: Oh, and this will most definetly be my default browser on the pandora. Even if Midori is faster, weave takes the cake in usability.

thanks for your review B-ZaR, I was curious about Mobile Forefox. :)

second exodous said:
Also, as of right now Flash support, or rather the lack thereof, doesn't concern us.

I don't know who "us" is, but it concerns me.

1adam12 said:
second exodous said:

I don't know who "us" is, but it concerns me.

What he means is that we currently have no flash support anyways, so it doesn't matter if the browser doesn't either.

grasshoppir said:
is it faster than webkit?
Gecko being faster than webkit is _extremely_ unlikely. It's slower than MicroB, which is gecko, too. Another alternative would be Tear(webkit). Tear is faster than MicroB, but also has less features.

grasshoppir said:
is it faster than webkit?

I really can't say. I'd have to do some benchmarking to give any definitive results. It's fast enough for normal browsing.

Back