Firmware 1.1.0 Released On Korean Page

i was total happyxly, 2GB card support
but :'(
it doesnt work with my sandisk 2gb :'(

i put the card in the gp2x and it freezes ever at startup

if i boot the gp2x and put then the card into, it freezes

its not fine :'(

Try inserting the card when the gp2x has booted, or if you have a card reader try formatting it

if the gp2x has bootet and i put the card into, it freezes, too

i tried it to format the card one times more unter windows with fat32 the same thing, its the same with fat16 under windows and fat32 and fat16 under linux

Anyone with no usb support tried a USB1.1 unpowered hub? I picked one up for £3 and it forces my 2x to work. Sure it's slow, but then again, when your devving and copying small files, you don't really care - it's still quicker than sneaker net.

Formatted my SD and did a new upgrade. Seems to have done the trick, even the green starting screen is now updated. Yay. :)

I'd assume I don't need the movieplayers and the likes on the SD anymore?

Well.. all done, and it works!

Video playback is definitely better, though I've only got the test video from gp2x.de on here at the moment.

The TV-out 'patch' is not a patch either. Its just a utility to take you into the movie player, but with TV out instead of normal playback. If you then press start to go back to the main meanu, and re-enter the movie player, it plays as normal again. It seems that you have to run that litle utility every time you want to use TV-out (not a bit issue at the moment).

Axeman posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:39 PM said:
Well.. all done, and it works!

Video playback is definitely better, though I've only got the test video from gp2x.de on here at the moment.

The TV-out 'patch' is not a patch either. Its just a utility to take you into the movie player, but with TV out instead of normal playback. If you then press start to go back to the main meanu, and re-enter the movie player, it plays as normal again. It seems that you have to run that litle utility every time you want to use TV-out (not a bit issue at the moment).

I am, by the looks of things, talking out of my arse :)

I didnt notice the patch in the root directory ;)

Have run it, and now seems to have give my vdeo the diagonal lines, which wern't there before :(

Ah well....

What have others found??

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine would not upgrade on boot using the gbax supplied integral 1gb card, so i ran patch20051216.gpu and low and behold after a few seconds of darkness I returned to the menu, in a fit of rage thinking it hadn't done a thing i went to the explorer to delete it off the card. To my suprise the .img had gone, so i went and checked my info page....yep Version 1.1.0, i do however still have a battery light on all the time, which I've always found odd as mine is one of if not the first unit to come 1.0.1 preinstalled (Version was 1.0.1 and I've always had scanlines)

2005.11.14 - GP2XV101 - 00000001

I guess I must just have a slightly iffy unit, just out of interest was\is everyones Battery light brightly or dimly lit?

Ta Peeps

I'm still on original firmware. I'm waiting until there is a reliable upgrade method from the uber-devs. ED said recently that a better upgrade method was coming soon.

Why do GPH not recognize that there is a large GP2X market outside of Korea? Why only release the updates on their passworded Korean language site?

Just tried a Video - seems like the scanlines / interlacing is more noticeable or it could be my eyes!

Nuron_V posted on Dec 23 2005 at 10:58 AM said:
Mine would not upgrade on boot using the gbax supplied integral 1gb card, so i ran patch20051216.gpu and low and behold after a few seconds of darkness I returned to the menu, in a fit of rage thinking it hadn't done a thing i went to the explorer to delete it off the card. To my suprise the .img had gone, so i went and checked my info page....yep Version 1.1.0, i do however still have a battery light on all the time, which I've always found odd as mine is one of if not the first unit to come 1.0.1 preinstalled (Version was 1.0.1 and I've always had scanlines)

I guess I must just have a slightly iffy unit, just out of interest was\is everyones Battery light brightly or dimly lit?

Ta Peeps

I don't think you upgraded properly, the .gpe always did change the version number by itself, and probably deletes the img file so it doesnt upgrade again.

Probably the most tell-tale sign is that your light is on....

SiN posted on Dec 22 2005 at 11:05 PM said:
Nuron_V posted on Dec 23 2005 at 10:58 AM said:

Ta Peeps

I don't think you upgraded properly, the .gpe always did change the version number by itself, and probably deletes the img file so it doesnt upgrade again.

Ok fair enough, back to the drawing board then, thanks

SiN posted on Dec 23 2005 at 08:05 AM said:

You're right. He didn't upgrade properly.

I don't know how many we have to say to people that if it didn't say "Upgrading" while booting, then IT DID NOT UPGRADE! If it did not upgrade, DO NOT RUN THE PATCH! Yes, the .img files are deleted, but that is always done as part of the normal Linux boot process. Every time you boot the GP2X it tries to delete those files. The deletion of the .img files DOES NOT MEAN THE UPGRADE HAPPENED!

The total amount of IQ in the world is constant, but the population is growing.

The .gpu will only patch a few applications it does not effect the kernel.

The most important part of the update is the gp2xkernel.img. This needs to be on the SD card as you boot, the boot loader will then detect the file and automatically update the kernel on your gp2x. I couldn't get this to work straight away, I had to re-format the card in FAT32 and just copy the gp2xkernel.img file on there on its own. The boot loader then detected the file and upgraded my firmware.

You should then see 1.1.0 on the green boot up screen.

I'm confused, what's this I hear about scanlines, vertical streaks, dimming of the backlight when moving the stick, and varying brightnesses across the screen? How bad is the LCD anyway?

:lol: :lol: Still can't upgrade even if I wanted to. My Integral 1GB card with just the firmware update still results in the .img file being deleted and no upgrade. Tried 12 times tonight, each time reformatting the card, I used a built in card reader, an external dazzle card reader and my Epson R300 printer on WinXP SP2 no joys. :lol: :lol:

The next sd card I wanted to buy was going to be 2GB, I don't want to spend money on a new card just to complete a firmware upgrade. I'll wait and see what develops.

Thanks Reesy, still haven't got it updated yet but someone will be getting a donation in the New Year. Some other people here can go swivel

Back