Firmware 1.2.1

zaephen

I got my Wiz today and I've had it a total of 12 hours. Everything worked perfectly. I checked and it came with fireware 1.1.0. I noticed that 1.2.1 was out so I thought I'd put that on as I want the most current everything. I downloaded the file and extracted it. I put all the files in the root directory of my SD card. I started my Wiz while holding "R". A Firmware Upgrade screen appeared with a gold chip on it. I read that it should take around 15 minutes to install. I waited 35. No sign that the Wiz was doing anything. I read in some of the comments on the firmware download page that there should be a red progress bar at the top of the screen? Seeing no activity and being well past the 15 minutes (some said they got it installed in 5-10 minutes) I turned the Wiz off. Now when I start it, it hangs on the GPH screen. I've tried to hold "R" while turning it on and it goes to the same Firmware Upgrade screen and stays there, going nothing.
What can I do to fix this short of the breakout board or custom made serial cables described here on the forum?
As near as I can tell, I did nothing wrong while trying to upgrade my firmware. It just wouldn't do anything :( .

If you can still boot and start the flash process, maybe try and use a card reader to recopy the firmware (or an older version) and see if you can get it to flash... Sorry to hear about your troubles!

some common solutions were: try a different sd card, try flashing your old firmare 1.1.0 again ... and - as long as you are getting to the firmware screen i *think* you are not totally screwed.

the upgrade progress described in the archives http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,316 is IMO wrong, there are more files to copy to the root of your sd card than listed. just copy ALL the files of the firmware to your SD! i just updated 2 days ago this way - it's always better to copy more files than less ...

You might have corrupted files. Try downloading the firmware again and then do what crow_riot said ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies.
I was thinking the same thing and was going to try a different card and flashing it again tomorrow (this morning).
I will try to do 1.2.1 again (and I did copy all the files to the SD card). I plan to also try to put 1.1.0 back if that doesn't work.

Hopefully since I can still get to the Firmware Upgrade screen by holding "R" when turning it on I'll be able to do it right this time.

Okay, here is my situation as it stands right now. My Wiz is working again! Any of you that could have any input on this, please feel free to respond.

I stopped at my uncle's this morning as I don't have a SD card reader. I downloaded a fresh copy of the 1.2.1 firmware. I put the 6 files it lists in the root directory of the SD card. I put that in the Wiz and held "R" and started the Wiz. It came to the same Firmware Update screen I got last night. Nothing seemed to be happening. Unlike last night however, after about 10-15 seconds, the screen just went black. I let it stay that was for 3-5 minutes as the blue light on the side was on.
As I figured nothing was happening, I shut it of. I turned it back on and it booted correctly. I went to information and check the firmware version and it said 1.1.0 (the version it came with).

Now I have no idea what happened or why trying to update to 1.2.1 would have put it back to 1.1.0 but it "is" working they way it was when I got it. I'm happy about that. I will say I'm now scared to death to try to upgrade the firmware again so I'm leaving it alone for now. 1.1.0 seems to work perfect anyway.

If anyone has anything to add, please do. It's been very puzzling to me but I very thankful it seems to be working properly now, even if it's back to firmware 1.1.0 :) .

Zaephen said:
If anyone has anything to add, please do. It's been very puzzling to me but I very thankful it seems to be working properly now, even if it's back to firmware 1.1.0 :) .[/size][/font]

Iorgy77 had this same problem, he had to try 3 different SD cards for it to finally work. I'd suggest trying a few more times or use a different SD card at least. Do you have an old one from a digital camera or something laying around? Doesn't have to be huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
My SD card wouldn't work, so i had to buy a 2GB card just to flash it. I recommend you try again. I would rather find that there is a problem with the wiz sooner then later. I don't know how important it is to keep the firmware up to date, but it is not nice NOT to be able to update. Who knows what updates might come in the future (e.g. wifi modules, commercial games need 1.2.1 etc.).

Good luck :) And yes, there should come a red progress bar at the top after a short while. Just be careful not to leave it on for hours on end with the same screen. Apparently AMOLED screens can burn in (when they are new?)

Senor Quack said:
Iorgy77 had this same problem, he had to try 3 different SD cards for it to finally work. I'd suggest trying a few more times or use a different SD card at least. Do you have an old one from a digital camera or something laying around? Doesn't have to be huge.
I don't know but could it be because I have and SDHC card? It's only 4GB but it's still a SDHC. I think I remember reading in the "unbricking" article on here that you much have a SD only card. For the unbricking anyway.
Also, I had the Wiz attacked to my computer when I tried to upgrade it the first time. Should you not do that? I just figured it made sense to have a power supply going to it during upgrade. It was fully charged but I didn't want to take any chances.

I successfully flashed the Wiz with different SD and SDHC types but I have the feeling that SD is more reliable.
If you still got problems you can try to format your card with this tool:

Download.

Another possibility is to first flash 1.1.0 again.
Good luck.

sbock said:
Another possibility is to first flash 1.1.0 again.
Again, it's working 100% like it did the day I got it... er, yesterday. It's say the firmware version is 1.1.0 but as I don't see anything wrong with it at all I'm just going to leave it for now. From what I read, there isn't much difference between 1.1.0 and 1.2.1 except some minor (I think) but fixed. Perhaps when the next firmware comes out I'll have another go at it.

I want to play with this thing too much to risk bricking it at the moment ;).

morgushong said:
my opinion is: If it aint broke, don't fix it.
I agree totally! I've upgraded the firmware in countless machines through the years and this was the first problem I've ever had :(.

As I said, my Wiz is running perfectly and I was lucky enough (although I can't explain why) to get it back to the way I bought it, so I'm leaving it that way until they release a firmware upgrade so amazing I can't help but risk it ;).

I know I read somewhere on here that you shouldn't use sdhc to upgrade. It's talked about in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51949-official-firmware-v1-2-1-released/
I used a 1gb sd and it worked fine. I'd try it with one of those next time.

Orion4874 said:
I know I read somewhere on here that you shouldn't use sdhc to upgrade. It's talked about in this thread: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51949-official-firmware-v1-2-1-released/
I used a 1gb sd and it worked fine. I'd try it with one of those next time.
I plan to buy a regular SD card the next time I'm out. Nothing big or anything. 2GB perhaps. Just for the purpose of upgrading my Wiz.
As bad as things went, I think it will work the next time providing I get a regular SD card ;).

I finally have a 1.2.1 Wiz. I did everything the same as every other time except I made sure I used a standard SD card this time. It worked perfectly. I can only assume my SDHC card was the problem ;).

Back