Wiz Bricked (I Think)

matt101

Still Fresh
Sigh... My wiz bricked about a month or two back when firmware 1.2.6 came out and since then I have been quite busy and haven't had the time to fix it. But as of now I have time and would really appreciate it if somone coul help me fix it. It basically boots to a black screen. This happend due to the firmware upgrade saying it failed (or a similar error), so I restarted the wiz. The firmware was upgraded but I wasn't happy with the error it gave me. So I tried to upgrade again- this then gave me a black screen, i waited for about 45 minutes but still nothing. I don't know what to do... should i try and upgrade it with an older firmware or something because I have tried upgrading to the new firmware again but it just boots to a black screen. I have also contacted GPH after sales center who I would have to pay for shipping and repairs- which I am not willing to do. So could somone please point me in the right direction to fix the thing because I would LOVE to get it going again as it is a great console.

Thanks

matt101 said:
Sigh... My wiz bricked about a month or two back when firmware 1.2.6 came out and since then I have been quite busy and haven't had the time to fix it. But as of now I have time and would really appreciate it if somone coul help me fix it. It basically boots to a black screen. This happend due to the firmware upgrade saying it failed (or a similar error), so I restarted the wiz. The firmware was upgraded but I wasn't happy with the error it gave me. So I tried to upgrade again- this then gave me a black screen, i waited for about 45 minutes but still nothing. I don't know what to do... should i try and upgrade it with an older firmware or something because I have tried upgrading to the new firmware again but it just boots to a black screen. I have also contacted GPH after sales center who I would have to pay for shipping and repairs- which I am not willing to do. So could somone please point me in the right direction to fix the thing because I would LOVE to get it going again as it is a great console.

Thanks

If you dont see the firmware splash screen its usually a bad sign. I would try putting the firmware on a good sd card, run the the wiz off the usb supply (dont use the battery), and then try to reflash. If you never see any graphics then it is probably bricked and will need special equipment to reload it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try as I might I cannot get it to work. I have tried charging while flashing, using every single firmware that has ever came out for the wiz. None of them worked...
Could somone please help me out on what to do next, or should I give up now and retire my wiz *sobs*.

If you didn't try using another SD card, try that at least once. Use a non-SDHC one if possible.

Try to make sure it has enough power .. I also 'bricked' my Wiz, but it turned out it was just not charging long enough .. I left it charging for 24 hours and it miraculously returned to me.

Try with an older firmware and a non-SDHC memory. If this doesn't work.....well, you could try removing the battery or pressing the soft-reset button (or both), but i don't think this would really accomplish something.......

Oh, right: i'm sure you already noticed, but just to be sure have a look at this thread. It may be helpful.

OK guys i don't actually have another SD i only have my 8gb class 2 SDHC card from sandisk. So I guess i'll leave it charging for as long as possible and see if that makes a difference. I will post an update if I fix it or if it still doesn't work.

Sadly that didn't work, I waited for a full charge and switched it on while charging- What should I do next?

OK I will try that, although not now i'm busy at the moment but will update you on whether it works or not. And yea the class 2 has worked fine on every firmware upgrade and has played all games well. The only problem I have had is some movies will run slow in mplayer because data transfer is not fast enough- But that might be just the fact it was in HD. Resized movies to fit the wiz screen mostly work well anyway so yea...

read my wiz bricked request

send it to the german repair place

you cant get anyone in UK to fix

Its down to the nand chip

one fix is to open up wiz touch nand chip with soldering iron (to overheat and reset) - dont do that at home as you can wreck it

send it to repair place you get it back (postage free for return) in about 10 days

they usually reset with a custom cable and break out board

happened to me exactly the same, now it works as good as new

RajTakhar said:
read my wiz bricked request

send it to the german repair place

you cant get anyone in UK to fix

Its down to the nand chip

one fix is to open up wiz touch nand chip with soldering iron (to overheat and reset) - dont do that at home as you can wreck it

send it to repair place you get it back (postage free for return) in about 10 days

they usually reset with a custom cable and break out board

happened to me exactly the same, now it works as good as new

As said before I contacted the as-europe people but they said that i would have to pay for postage to send it. How much is it out of interest to send it to them?

postage - there is a quick speed air mail - kind of like special delivery - cost me 8 quid that got there within 3 days

When screen is black after firmware attempt not much joy discharging battery - its all down to the nand - no point even trying to change SDHC cards if screen stays black trust me it drove me nuts when I thought mine was dead

Back