Firmware 1.2 To Firmware 2.1.1?

ThorC

Hello,

I'm sure this is really an obvious question for those in the know, but I am really unsure on this one, and being updating firmware and it's a risky thing in itself (especially upgrading from an early firmware, with U-Boot needing to be updated). I have done my best to search and search, going through this forum, going through documentation available, tutorials and nowhere have I found a clear answer on whether I can upgrade from 1.2 to 2.1.1 or if I have to go through different updates.

On some reports, it is said that "all updates include everything in previous updates, therefore just go to the latest" but on others, I've read that "if you jump from an early firmware to 2.0.0 it can cause problems, you need to go to 1.4 first" and that "you cannot go straight to 2.1.1 without going to 2.00 first". Trying to find a definitive answer on the wiki, the documentation or the FAQs has proved inconclusive, therefore I'll hope you'll accept this question - I did my best to research. If it was anything other than a dangerous firmware upgrade, I'd just give it a try, but I really don't want a bricked gp2x at the moment.

My question is (finally, and if you haven't already guessed ;) ), I would like to upgrade from my early 1.2 firmware to the 2.11 firmware (not too keen on 3) but I don't know if this is possible. Do I need to go first to 1.4, then to 2.0 then to 2.1.1, or first to 2.0 then to 2.1.1 or what should I do?

My second question is, how long does a firmware upgrade take? I've heard reports of people doing it in a few minutes, to people having to wait over half an hour for it to complete, but no definite answer, so I'd appreciate some sort of idea, so I can know if something has gone wrong.

Furthermore, if the firmware upgrade goes bad (knowing my luck it will), is there any way to use JTAG to unbrick it, if it's U-BOOT that gets corrupted? I've been out of the gp2x scene for quite a while, and when I was last around, JTAG was considered a possibility but it wasn't really possible, due to missing hardware or software support, if I recall correctly. I am quite happy to purchase a BOB (I would like one anyway), would there be any to fix a bad firmware update using JTAG now? Are there any guides on doing this? There are mention of such guides going to be written, and that JTAG can work, but again my searches have turned up inconclusive. I've read that my retailer (gp2x.co.uk) don't fix bad firmware upgrades, so I'd like to know this before I end up with a brick :(

Thankyou in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was advised to install FW 2.0.0 and the FW 2.1.1. (in the end I reverted to FW3 lol)
It went fine, it took a few minutes but make sure you format your SD card first.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have realised that the situation is worse than I thought. I was convinced I had 1.2 firmware, but it seems I'm still on 1.0.1!

Is it still fine to upgrade straight to 2.0.0?

ThorC said:
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have realised that the situation is worse than I thought. I was convinced I had 1.2 firmware, but it seems I'm still on 1.0.1!

You can go from ANY 1.* firmware to 2.0.0 then from there you the upgrade to your 2.* of choice.

Just be very clear on what you plan to do, make sure the card is clean and you only have 2.0.0 files on there and of course you will have to find a card that 1.0.1's U-Boot supports (not such an easy thing).

If you want a hand drop into #GP2XDev and I will try and talk you through it one to one.

ThorC said:

You should be fine, go for 2.0.0 then update to 2.1.1 but dont forget when updating to 2.1.1 to run the update file from to card aswell as holding down start and select at power on else you will not fully update to 2.1.1. Personally i'd go 2.0.0 then 2.1.0 then 2.1.1 thats how i upgraded mine and i didnt have any problems at all.

Thanks for all the help everyone. On this bank holiday weekend, decided to take the plunge and it all went fine :) In case it helps anyone else in a similar situation, this is what I did and what happened and how long it took

I formatted my SD card to FAT32 on windows, put the 2.0 upgrade files on it, booted up the GP2X. It went to the firmware upgrading screen, and about 20 seconds later, went to the green loading screen, but now with Firmware 2.0 on it. At this point, it stopped, but from what I read, this is normal. I turned off the GP2X, and turned it back on, holding start and select (for firmware update) and it began updating firmware again, this time taking longer. A minute later, firmware updating changed to patching, then a minute later to formatting, then a final please wait, and firmware 2.0 installed and working fully. Finally, to 2.1.1, SD card back to the PC, but the 2.1.1 files onto it, booted up with start and select. Firmware upgraded very quickly, back to menu, ran the gpu file, and all done :)

Thanks again! I was worried it was going to be a lot worse and a lot more difficult, but luckily I didn't end up with a brick (despite my usual bad luck)

Glad you got everything upgraded safely. Atleast you dont need to do it ever again now, well not untill open2x comes out :p

Back