Firmware 1.4: Worth It?

skaboy

Still Fresh
Dear all,

I'm running firmware 1.2.0 and am thinking of flashing to 1.4 for a number of reasons: I gather 1.4 has more functionality and what particularly appeals to me is the ability to adjust the LCD settings. I'd like to brighten my screen a little as Quake for the GP2X is a bit too dark.

I've also posts from people who are experiencing problems with 1.4 so am really wondering if it's worth upgrading: do the pros outweigh the cons, if there are any cons?

Thanks in advance.

I really don't think 1.2->1.4 increases your screen brightness at all, but I really like the new software apps on it. The only con I can think of is that you have to use launch scripts to overclock, because the clock resets to 200MHz each time you enter the menu.

Mudi posted on Mar 15 2006 at 05:30 PM said:
I really don't think 1.2->1.4 increases your screen brightness at all, but I really like the new software apps on it.  The only con I can think of is that you have to use launch scripts to overclock, because the clock resets to 200MHz each time you enter the menu.

I read an article which stated that 1.4 has an added LCD-adjust function.

I wouldn't know the first thing about over-clocking so that's not an issue for me.

I also wonder, will a flash affect any skin that I might have installed? Would it revert to the original GP skin or retain my installed one?

Last edited by a moderator:
A flash from 1.2->1.4 does some interesting things to any skin you have installed... it doesn't replace all of the skin elements, but a few of them revert and there are a few items that didn't exist in previous skins. It doesn't seem to damage anything though, and you can just re-apply the skin after...

I'd personally recommend uninstalling the skin first, but that's me....

The LCD adjust utility has some effect on brightness, but it isn't terribly significant... it's primary purpose is to adjust the timing to get rid of scanlines.

reallynotnick posted on Mar 15 2006 at 06:19 PM said:
Go into the options in Quake and turn up the brightness to your liking (for that game only of course).

:blink: I can't believe I didn't think of that!

As for the flashing, it makes me a little nervous* so I think I'll stick to 1.2

*Definition of a nervous flasher: he who photographs his privates in a photo booth, then waits for someone to pick the photos out of the dispenser ;)

skaboy posted on Mar 15 2006 at 12:25 PM said:
reallynotnick posted on Mar 15 2006 at 06:19 PM said:
Go into the options in Quake and turn up the brightness to your liking (for that game only of course).

:blink: I can't believe I didn't think of that!

As for the flashing, it makes me a little nervous* so I think I'll stick to 1.2

*Definition of a nervous flasher: he who photographs his privates in a photo booth, then waits for someone to pick the photos out of the dispenser ;)

:lol: Very funny ... I needed that ;)

Also, DrMDx has a brightness option in the menu. So does Atari 800.

skaboy posted on Mar 15 2006 at 05:25 PM said:

Cant believe I have never thought of that...

Grabs mac and head for the door...

:lol: :D :blink:

Back