Firmware 2.0.0 Released!!!!

Puck2099 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 04:06 PM said:
I can connect to my gp2x using usbnet without problems in my 2.6.11 Gentoo kernel :)

Hi,
did you guys try the cdc_ether module? It recognizes my gp2x as a new ethernet device usb0. Now I can use ifconfig as usual. After giving the usb0 interface an IP address, I portscanned it. But it only shows the ports that are open on my computer, not the gp2x. No telnet for example when I activate it.

If the modified module solves the problem, then how would I put it on the NAND?

Last edited by a moderator:
pr0npro posted on Apr 29 2006 at 05:47 PM said:
Puck2099 posted on Apr 29 2006 at 04:06 PM said:
I can connect to my gp2x using usbnet without problems in my 2.6.11 Gentoo kernel :)

Hi,
did you guys try the cdc_ether module? It recognizes my gp2x as a new ethernet device usb0. Now I can use ifconfig as usual. After giving the usb0 interface an IP address, I portscanned it. But it only shows the ports that are open on my computer, not the gp2x. No telnet for example when I activate it.

If the modified module solves the problem, then how would I put it on the NAND?

The same happens to me.
I changed g_ether module and nothing has happened :(

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 29 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
er...so what exactly can i do with Samba? and please put this in laymens terms as im a moron :)

Samba is the non-Micro$oft implementation of the Synchronous Message Block (SMB) protocol, widely used in the old Lan Manager (popularly referred to as Lan Damager). In other words, it's what M$ arrogantly and erroneously call "Microsoft Networking", and allows Windoze to see your disks as network shares in Windows.

is it just me or is there no real reason for upgrading for us basic "play emus and watch video" users?

i dont need the networking stuff and i've got cramfs so boot is quick.

its weird as this seems the most eagerly awaited upgrade yet offers little to the average user?

deepmenace posted on Apr 29 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
is it just me or is there no real reason for upgrading for us basic "play emus and watch video" users?

its weird as this seems the most eagerly awaited upgrade yet offers little to the average user?

Wait 'till the BoB is available. I'd like to be placed in a self-induced coma until then ... the anticipation is killing me!

deepmenace posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:47 PM said:

USB file transfers work??!??!?!?

Nickmon posted on Apr 29 2006 at 07:03 PM said:
deepmenace posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:47 PM said:

USB file transfers work??!??!?!?
Better battery life...
No crashing at start..
14 second boot with a firmware that can still change skins...
Accessable nand...

There are many reasons to upgrade.

usb? no need for me - use card reader.
dont get crashing at start.
not really fussed about skins.
nand not really needed either.

better battery life? i am ok with it at the mo' but if it proves to be significantly better that may do it for me.

i'm not being sour, i use the thing near every day and love it.

what's a BoB?

Ya dancer! B) This is great. I set the GP2X's IP to be the same as my LAN, bridged the USB and LAN connections on my PC, enabled the telnet and samba server on the gp2x, and everyone on the network can get to my gp2x now. Seems to work flawlessly. :D V.happy!

Just tried a bit with the embedded webserver. Server signature is

thttpd/2.21b PHP/20030920

Wow. PHP enabled on this little baby? And the webserver's homepage says its server root is /usr/gp2x/www.

Risking the nand I also put a phpinfo on it.

Version 4.4.2
zlib enabled
No extension enabled
No mysql
No xml
No PEAR
No ipv6
No Virtual directory support

Doh.

Seems I can't find thttpd's config file. Since thttpd doesn't like symlinked directories, I couldn't symlink directories on SD to be a part of the web server...

No, I was just having fun with it, not to mean anything... :lol:

EDIT: typo

So, what does the BoB provide in ways of portable functionality?

Because the biggest function that I've noticed the BoB having that I really, really want is the ability to use an external HDD(which is why I was anticiptaing v2.0.)

But, unless I want to move the BoB, GP2X, and what I'll be using as my external HDD around(my iPod), is it worth buying?

I'm going to buy it to support the developers of this kind of stuff and because it's really fucking cool, but I still would like to know(without somebody referring me to the thread, I've read the entire thing) what its total potential could be.

Is it completely impossible to maintain portability but have an external HDD without using the BoB?

xenocidegeek posted on Apr 29 2006 at 06:00 PM said:
So, what does the BoB provide in ways of portable functionality?

Because the biggest function that I've noticed the BoB having that I really, really want is the ability to use an external HDD(which is why I was anticiptaing v2.0.)

But, unless I want to move the BoB, GP2X, and what I'll be using as my external HDD around(my iPod), is it worth buying?

I'm going to buy it to support the developers of this kind of stuff and because it's really cool, but I still would like to know(without somebody referring me to the thread, I've read the entire thing) what its total potential could be.

Is it completely impossible to maintain portability but have an external HDD without using the BoB?

I think you are looking at this the wrong way, the point of the BOB is full-featured access to all (or nearly all) of the EXT port capabilities.

If you want to use an iPod with it (I am assuming the iPod has its own power supply) all you really need is 2 or 3 wires and a few filtering resistors and capacitors: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Image:Bob_usb_filter.png

page I pulled that from http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host_BoB_Schematic

Edit: These filtering devices could theoretically be inside the molded rubber/plastic ends of the USB or EXT connectors, I really hope someone starts making a EXT to unpowered "USB Host" mini 6-pin cord for stuff like the iPod or powered portable hard drives.

You couldn't get much more portable without opening either the iPod or GP2X, it should be plenty portable for your wants/needs.

Despite trying several allegedly compatible cards, unfortunately my GP2X is one of those that just won't upgrade.

I hope Robster comes to the rescue :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Apr 29 2006 at 10:44 PM said:
Can I use the overclocker now? I was using cramfs but I should be able to overclock now, right?

Yep. I'm using it right now; all my scripts work perfectly. Joy! :)

Back