Firmware Issues...

abigsmurf

Does anyone know what the firmware will be like for the GP2X?

All we've been told is that it runs Linux. Is the OS entirely flashable, is there a BIOS chip and the OS is stored in the flash memory? If the BIOS and LINUX are stored differently will they both be flashable?

Just wondering because of the enevitable tinkering people will want to do. For instance being able to set the CPU voltage in the bios for OC'ing, adding codecs to the built in video player, updating the linux kernel, fixing any strange issues the kernel may have or adding support for openGL instructions in code (even if performed horribly slowly it increases compatibility).

Then there's the thing of if there are lots of updating of the firmware throughtout the console's life, will there be protection to prevent people turning their console into a lump of useless plastic?

Probably no different than any other systems out now. Between upgrading GP32 FW and PSP FW, what ever precautions exist will be your only means so make sure you have plenty of fully charged AA batteries.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 8 2005 at 06:50 PM said:
Probably no different than any other systems out now. Between upgrading GP32 FW and PSP FW, what ever precautions exist will be your only means so make sure you have plenty of fully charged AA batteries.

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP32 requires only a single firmware update though. The PSP has had three or so upgrades already, two of them automatic. I bet there will be lots of kids with broken units...

From what I can see, unless Linux is seperated from the BIOS, it's likely there will be lots of patching to do and the more you need to mess with the firmware, the more likely that something will go wrong. Batteries aren't the only thing to cause firmware meltdown, buggy or malicious software and unforseen conflicts could also render the unit useless

The PSP upgrades aren't so much Automatic as done with a warning. The last upgrade was something in the vacinity of 14mb so the download would go to you Memstick before being installed. Also I think the system would be able to tell you if it had enough battery life to stay on for such a thing but they probably recomend you to plug the PSP into it's adapter before trying to do an update for the same reason as the GP32 needing fully charged batteries.

As for the 2X I doubt there'll be too much patching going on unless you're altering something yourself in linux in which case you're stepping into the "at your own risk" territory. I'd bet things like extra Codecs might be more likely to be handled by upgraded programs the way the movie viewer is on the GP32.

The GP2X runs an embedded version of a Linux 2.4 kernel, along with various drivers and modules. I don't think there's any bios as such, as the thing only takes a few seconds to boot according to GPH.

Back