First impressions of my Pandy... mixed feelings...

I've asked many times for someone to help me keep the appstore up to date.

If you tell me I'll fix issues.

How do we help you keep the appstore up to date? Could you write up a little thing and post it on the wiki so folks could know how to help? I'm watching the Emulators and Games pages on the wiki for updates, but I'm not really sure what to do with those updates. Presumably, you're seeing those too.

I've asked many times for someone to help me keep the appstore up to date.

The latest SNES emu is there though. Actually it all looks up to date in most cases.

If you tell me I'll fix issues.
Craig why not start a thread asking for volunteers and such?

About the appstore thing - milkshake is working on a terrific appstore which uses the box' repository specification and, as far as I know, Tempel's working on a client for it, so we may soon have a package-manager-like interface for PNDs on the pandora.

Having seen milkshakes beta app store, I can only say that I think Craigix should switch to it immediately! :) Really Craig, this is something you can gain from by letting a 3rd-party take over responsibility for it .. milkshakes effort is superlative, imho, and a huge upgrade.

Hi all,

I need to apologize now... I had seen this video of the mini menu some months ago and it looked like a pure text-mode screen back then. So that's why I hadn't tried it. Much work must have happened since... I tried it out this evening and hooray, that's just what I was talking about above: the slick looking right to the point screen. It works fast and it even starts up programs that won't start in Xfce (how can this be? the OS is the same?). Only settings screens should also be implemented into it, but I am quite sure that that is the intention...

So, forget everything I said about the OS, maybe even inform people better about what GUI to choose. I think the manual that comes with the Pandy is much too brief: no explanation about the power-switch, no explanation about the different GUI's, etc... I know there's the manual from users for users but as you can see, it didn't learn me what I had to know.

Now about some answers: I already upgraded to HF5 RC2, and still have those problems. Of course I have already tried other browsers than Midori. I tried Fennec and Chromium. Fennec has also crashed on me. And when I try to download something in Chromium to a different location than the default Download folder that doesn't seem to point anywhere (?where are the files that were downloaded there? I can't open its location, it doesn't do anything), the download just won't start at all for some reason. Of course I am speaking when used inside Xfce, but I don't think it should make a difference...

I also read that the apps store isn't the official one, that should be pointed out better I believe...

I will check out all the tips about the nubs, vice controls, ... thanks for those.

Anyways, I hope you all don't hate me now and I hope my love for the Pandy will only grow from now on.

Thanks,

Dirk.

First off. Big of you to apologise Dirk, welcome to the community :)

I followed the project for three years before getting my pandy, and deliberately lowered my expectations to account for many of the points mentioned above.

Thunar irked me for a while until I figured out there was an issue with detail view :)

I won't go into any of the other points that you raised as I think they have been pretty well covered.

I genuinely look forward to your future contributions to the community, we can never have enough bods on board with OS skills.

PS

If any of the above responses seemed harsh, it is because they all work hard in contributing to the project, I'm sure there are no bad feelings:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back