Fixed Community Communication Tool

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Hi!

I was thinking it might be cool to have some sort of real-time IRC or Jabber like communication tool installed on the Pandora, with just pandora users on it.
It could be a great community tool imo. Maybe even let it boot up automatically when the Panda is switched on?
Are there any devs that might be interested in developing such a tool or is there already something like that in the works?

Discuss :)

I still hope craig&co will set-up an ejabberd-server and sync the accounts with the appstore. Instant community system with groups, shared contact-lists etc.. Plus it would be a base for tinxl and other projects more tight to gaming itself.

Eight Bit said:
Was thinking about a more pandora specific application, a bit like Steam on windows.
Dunno.... chat, play games against eachother, exchange software/media etc?

You know, a system like that has to evolve and jabber is the perfect base for that. We already have pandora-specific projects like tinxl and all ideas base on jabber.
With a simple ejabberd-server, we'd already have a decent community-system. Everyone could create and join groups like "quake3", "teeworlds", "general talk", "help" etc.. As soon as you join a group, you'll see the online-status of everybody in that group inside your IM of choice. Groups can have multi-user-chats and users can broadcast news to a group, like "new quake3-deathmatch on 134.167.89.2". I think this is a good start for a gaming community, but it would only be the beginning.
The protocol is entirely capable to manage connections and advanced features like voice/video-chat are already supported by *some* clients.
A nifty jabber feature is support for multiple connections. IAll clients have a priority. So, it's entirely possible to include jabber-features into games and with the right priorities, your messages will always be routed to where you need them.
I could go even more into detail, but I guess I better should not for now. The basic message is: Ejabberd will instantly give us everything really needed and with some time and community-work, we can improve that system to get really comfortable and unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
conso said:
Eight Bit said:
Was thinking about a more pandora specific application, a bit like Steam on windows.
Dunno.... chat, play games against eachother, exchange software/media etc?

You know, a system like that has to evolve and jabber is the perfect base for that. We already have pandora-specific projects like tinxl and all ideas base on jabber.
With a simple ejabberd-server, we'd already have a decent community-system. Everyone could create and join groups like "quake3", "teeworlds", "general talk", "help" etc.. As soon as you join a group, you'll see the online-status of everybody in that group inside your IM of choice. Groups can have multi-user-chats and users can broadcast news to a group, like "new quake3-deathmatch on 134.167.89.2". I think this is a good start for a gaming community, but it would only be the beginning.
The protocol is entirely capable to manage connections and advanced features like voice/video-chat are already supported by *some* clients.
A nifty jabber feature is support for multiple connections. IAll clients have a priority. So, it's entirely possible to include jabber-features into games and with the right priorities, your messages will always be routed to where you need them.
I could go even more into detail, but I guess I better should not for now. The basic message is: Ejabberd will instantly give us everything really needed and with some time and community-work, we can improve that system to get really comfortable and unique.

Sounds awesome! Hope someone will set this up

conso said:
I agree, though I do not care about linking these accounts with the appstore. Also, we don't really need to use a pandora specific server (though it would provide more control). If a new server is setup then ejabberd is indeed a good choice.

I've been playing around a bit with some python scripts to add xbox-live like communication features to XBMC (using an ejabberd backend). I definitely want to see such features on the Pandora as well. If someone starts such a project I'll do my best to contribute. Can't promise anything though, the work on my PhD thesis is consuming most of my time right now.

EvilDragon said:
xchat and Pidgin are both included, yes.
Suggestion : Could xchat be configured to default into the #openpandora channel?

VRAndy said:
EvilDragon said:
xchat and Pidgin are both included, yes.
Suggestion : Could xchat be configured to default into the #openpandora channel?
There's an #openpandora channel? O.O

I suggested the same thing a few days ago, with a plan of action

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52076-pandora-live-pandora-network/page__st__15

Oh, please, god, no, don't let anyone know about the IRC channel! It's a bastion of sane, mature and talented Pandora users, we'll have no trouble there!

WoD said:
Oh, please, god, no, don't let anyone know about the IRC channel! It's a bastion of sane, mature and talented Pandora users, we'll have no trouble there!
I can't have babies anyway. my insides are all wrrrrong.

Back