Flash Player On Wiz - Early Benchmark Results

pea

developer
Website
www.projectitis.com
Hi all,

I've done some early benchmarking of the Flash Player on the Wiz (more to come).

I will be posting some video of the benchmarks, and will also try to run some popular Flash games to see how they perform (with video). Feel free to drop your suggestions for games you'd like me to test!

My main conclusions:

Early conclusions are:

- Overall performance is much, much lower than PC at the same size (320×240)
- Graphic performance is about equal between a fullscreen Wiz and a fullscreen PC
- Medium quality is the best bang-for-buck overall
- Image performance is not really affected by quality settings
- Actionscript performance is not affected by quality settings (as expected)

[...snip...]

What I can say though is that it is very unlikely that you will be able to grab your favorite Flash game from kongregate and expect to see it running fullspeed on the Wiz. Unless the game is relatively simple, you’ll need to settle for lower frame rates, or wait for someone to port it to the Wiz specifically.

Full details of the benchmark on my blog

EDIT:
An additional note regarding one of the benchmark tests - 'polygons'. This test draws 20 triangles to the screen at random sizes. The size of each polygon can be up to the size of the screen. In any normal situation, you wouldn't be drawing polygons that big, so I did another test with smaller tris:

The current Flash Player can draw 50 solid colour 32x32 triangles at 10fps in code (medium quality).
These cover only 1/3 of the Wiz screen.

Obviously, especially given the early 'quake' tests on Wiz, this is NOT a reflection of the 3D performance of the Wiz, which can actually handle a lot more.

Back