Flash Support - Sound?

tedbell

Still Fresh
Is there any sound support for Flash files on the wiz? I've tried exporting using RAW/MP3/ADCMP/SPEECH, but nothing plays. Flash games with sound, such as critter crossing, are also lacking sound when played on the wiz.

It seems to be a limitation of the flash interpreter on the WIZ. I wonder if there are any plans to enhance that. I can slap together flash projects easily using AS2.0, but anything else would be a huge learning curve.

Flash 10 does not support OGG files. But when flash exports, it only has options for RAW, ADCMP or MP3, so it is doing a re-compression at the time of delivery.

Hmmm, this is quite peculiar. I know nothing of flash myself but a long time back I did ask them about the lack of sound in flash movies and they then told me that I should use OGG files.

You mention Flash 10, I didn't think the Wiz supported that?

Peter R said:
Hmmm, this is quite peculiar. I know nothing of flash myself but a long time back I did ask them about the lack of sound in flash movies and they then told me that I should use OGG files.

You mention Flash 10, I didn't think the Wiz supported that?

You can compile for any version. Compiling to Flash8 creates a usable program, but lacking sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
[let me ressurrect this]

Most of the flash's i tried yet are completetly missing sounds. A few however do have sound like this one here:

Flashgame

(note that it seems to play only the title music)

With a flash decompiler i had a brief look into the Flash. Its scripts are wholly encrypted with a obfuscator but it doesnt stop the wiz's flash player. So far so good. The title sound is mp3, encoded in 44kHz & 16bit afaik @128kbit. Other sounds and music with far less resolution & sample rate. And see: they're not playing too.

I'm silently assuming there are eighter some decoding restrictions (e.g. some specific bitrate/sample rate/resolution) so its quite picky or
it supports only a subset of the possibilities to play sound using flash api's.

The definitive answer just would come from GPH itself. I think they're using eighter the FlashLite Developing Kit (containing full linux source, but still has propriertary license) or used a company's service to have the player ported. If i'd knew whom to contact about this i'd start asking.

Very interesting find! You can try to contact Tony Han from GPH. Or you can ask Orkie about it, I think he has contact to GPHs firmware coder...

Back