For All The People Who Still Say It Doesn't Have Enough Ram....

fusion_power said:
AND the ROM of "Mario 64" is only 8 MB for such a huge 3D Game. I don't know any PC Game equal ammount of 3D content that only needs 8MB.
You don't know any PC game with that kind of space-optimization?
That surprising because kkrieger always gets thrown around in these "why are applications so hueg these days" discussions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

It's a 96 kilobyte Windows executable that plays a level in a Quake-like FPS with multiple weapons, different enemies, lots of props, things moving around, and excellent lighting.

It probably takes like 200 MB+ of RAM once it's running, and it eats GPU time like a motherfucker, but the executable could fit on a floppy easily.

"firefox is a horrible browser"
How specific. I really like it, but I can't use it in Linux because the 64-bit versions suck. I guess they aren't officially supported yet. :-||

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
How specific. I really like it, but I can't use it in Linux because the 64-bit versions suck. I guess they aren't officially supported yet. > :(
My current user-agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100121 Namoroka/3.6
I havent found anything noticeably different from the 32-bit firefox here...

urjaman said:
lulzfish said:
How specific. I really like it, but I can't use it in Linux because the 64-bit versions suck. I guess they aren't officially supported yet. > :(
My current user-agent:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100121 Namoroka/3.6
I havent found anything noticeably different from the 32-bit firefox here...
I've been using 64-bit Firefox for years. There used to be no flash support, but then nspluginwrapper came along. It used to be pretty unstable, but it's gotten better since then. No other problems as compared to the 32-bit version.

Since 64bit Flash and the Java plugin was released I have been running 64bit Ubuntu without a problem.

It appeared to be faster, but I did notice JBoss and Eclipse starting using ~2x as much memory, 500mb+ per program is a little insane. I am looking forward to JVM 7 which should use 32bit and 64bit pointers on a 64bit system, should save a lot of space.

Oh and pointer heavy C++ programs use a lot more memory too, just in Java almost every variable is a pointer.

grasshoppir said:
firefox is a horrible browser

I told my friends that I use Konqueror on occasion. They just about laughed me out of the room.

Gerix said:
grasshoppir said:
firefox is a horrible browser

I told my friends that I use Konqueror on occasion. They just about laughed me out of the room.

haha I use links on occasion, otherwise either Arora or Opera, in 64bit Gentoo.

lulzfish said:
fusion_power said:
AND the ROM of "Mario 64" is only 8 MB for such a huge 3D Game. I don't know any PC Game equal ammount of 3D content that only needs 8MB.
You don't know any PC game with that kind of space-optimization?
That surprising because kkrieger always gets thrown around in these "why are applications so hueg these days" discussions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger

It's a 96 kilobyte Windows executable that plays a level in a Quake-like FPS with multiple weapons, different enemies, lots of props, things moving around, and excellent lighting.

It probably takes like 200 MB+ of RAM once it's running, and it eats GPU time like a motherfucker, but the executable could fit on a floppy easily.

That is an amazing accomplishment. Reminds me of the 4k Descent game from the 90s - it was equally amazing to see.

Back