Formatting My 2gb Sd Card

Hey folks,

Weeellll, I finally got my 2X (it had been delayed a bit but it did get me some free stuff as compensation!) and I put my 2GB SD Card into a USB Card Reading Pen and put it into my USB Hub, to whack some stuff on it. The computer recognises it and the F: drive comes up, then when I try open it it tells me its not formatted. I left it as I wasn't sure what to do but I've checked this forum and when people have had SD Card problems its been recommended to them they try formatting it.

Anyway, I knew not to format to FAT32 so I tried to format it to FAT. It gets right to the end then says Windows cannot format it, it does this both for Quick format and full format.

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!

enable/setup usb networking, connect usb cable to pc, telnet to gp2x, insert card to 2x and run dmesg. Posts results.

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Anyway, I knew not to format to FAT32 so I tried to format it to FAT.
Nothing wrong with FAT32 on GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only there isn't anything wrong with FAT32, the GP2X will try to mount the SD card as FAT32 by default. If you use a format other than FAT32, you have to change the low level configuration of the GP2X (file /etc/fstab, not accessible with graphical menus), and I'm pretty sure you do not want that... :)

Use the FAT32, Luke...

My SD card is formatted as FAT and not FAT32 and works fine in the GP2x, in fact, I couldn't get Windows XP to format FAT32 correctly (strange, I know - maybe because I use NTFS).

I am not sure if FAT (ie FAT16) is ok for 2 gig, it certainly is for 1 gig. You would know anyway as if to tried to format in FAT and it didn't like 2 gig, it will format it as 1 gig.

If you can format in FAT32, do that; if you get errors in Windows while formatting with this, you will have to go FAT instead, as I did (or format on FAT32 if you have a system running Windows 98 or ME).

juanvvc said:
Not only there isn't anything wrong with FAT32, the GP2X will try to mount the SD card as FAT32 by default. If you use a format other than FAT32, you have to change the low level configuration of the GP2X (file /etc/fstab, not accessible with graphical menus), and I'm pretty sure you do not want that... :)

Use the FAT32, Luke...
Apparently the SD card entry in fstab is a fake. The kernel has SD stuff all hardcoded which is a bit of pain. The same driver can mount FAT32 and FAT16 anyway I think.

enable/setup usb networking, connect usb cable to pc, telnet to gp2x, insert card to 2x and run dmesg. Posts results.

Thanks, I don't really know how to do that and I'm in a bit of a rush tonight. However, just for an update - I tried to format FAT32, still wouldn't let me, but when I inserted it into the 2X and connected it up ala the User Guide it was recognised and I've just put on a Master System emu and been playing Asterix! :)

InsertFaveGameNameHere said:
Thanks, I don't really know how to do that and I'm in a bit of a rush tonight. However, just for an update - I tried to format FAT32, still wouldn't let me, but when I inserted it into the 2X and connected it up ala the User Guide it was recognised and I've just put on a Master System emu and been playing Asterix! :)

I got my GP2X on Friday and had to do some shopping this weekend for batteries and an SD card. The card I bought came formatted FAT16 (according to fdisk) and the GP2X didn't have any trouble accessing it. I'm surprised there aren't any fdisk/mkfs tools in the menu system.

Well I've been using the 2X quite a bit but haven't dared take the card out and put it back in the PC. Its got over 500MB on it but its annoying to think that if I ever use it for anything else the PC won't recognise it and can't format it.

I remember having red somewhere in this forum about an app that manage SD card formating/erasing etc. Try to do a search. I think it was EvilDragon that posted about it :)

Back