Forum Feedback

The new mobile theme seems to be picky about the browser it works with. I found it doesn't work with N900 microb, but it does work pretty good with dillo, so I'm happy.

Is it possible to add a chat box to the forum, like the one used on http://ouyaforum.com/

Seems to be popular there, and it does provide for a good way for people to chat and get to know each other better - ie a good way to strengthen community 

We have a IRC Channel already. Although it'd be nice to have a direct link to the chat via the website for those noobs who have no idea about IRC clients ;)

^ We do?.  It would be nice to have the chat box as part of the forum page like on the Ouya forum.  I noticed that it brings people together better. Basically I noticed people became more freindly towards each other in general threads seeing since they knew each other better via the chat box. Just good to have an easy area for people to generally chat without needing a thread

Not exactly easily seen and accessible as I had in mind. But anyway, you should check out the Ouya one to see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how chat boxes work and sometimes they're a good idea for like you say.. community chatter.

Maybe ED will have some insight on this. 

Well, there is no IRC inclusion for IPB sadly :( A chatterbox... hm, does that make sense when we have IRC?

No one is on IRC - just checked it out now.  I think the biggest thing with a chat box is how its implemented.  Even on the Ouya forum they initially had it as a chatbox  right on the top of the home page - couldn't miss it - everyone chatted using it.  Then they made it a section/link :- no one used it. They then went back to how it was. That's why I mentioned to Wally to check out how it's implemented on the Ouya forum, as its the implementation/where it is, that's critical to its success. I think they use something called MGC  Chatbox , it also does not require a seperate nickname/login, it simply uses your current forum login (you do need to be logged in to see the chat box)

Two different chats are a bad idea imho. Furthermore the IRC channel is quite active and well visited, so it would be even better for noobs and newbies to have someone to talk to most of the time. I thought, we have some web developers here? Shouldn't be too hard to make an IRC addon, maybe based on existing scripts and iframes as Wally mentioned.

No one is on IRC...? What IRC have you visited, usually, there are at least 20-30 people there...

Two different chats are a bad idea imho. Furthermore the IRC channel is quite active and well visited, so it would be even better for noobs and newbies to have someone to talk to most of the time. I thought, we have some web developers here? Shouldn't be too hard to make an IRC addon, maybe based on existing scripts and iframes as Wally mentioned.
I'm happy to add such a script if it exists - however, keep in mind of the nickname. It doesn't make sense using the same name for everyone who posts...

There was a script for an old version of IPB that used the forum member nickname when posting on IRC.

Something like that would be needed as well.

Or Levi1... Everybody would know, who you are. ;)

Technically that would still count as an alt-nick :)

- Neelix
Yeah... I didn't think about this very well. ^^However my point was, that the client/server will choose an alt nick. :)

And it's for 3.2, I think that's the one I tried, but it's not compatible with later versions.

Back