Which hardware do you own?

• GP32

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GP2X

• Both GP32 and GP2X

• Total voters

I got my GP2X in Spring of this year as a dev platform, which is what I always wanted it for. I wasn't around back in the GP32 days, but their success is a big part of why I decided to develop for this machine (and now the XGP units on the horizon as well.) I'm writing a top-scrolling shooter based on an original engine at the moment with some other projects planned for the future, 2D and 3D ambitions alike. The emulators and media functionality of the machine were really nice bonuses.

i do games computing at uni and want to start developing but havent had time this summer due to one thing or another popping up when i was about to start.

was also going to do something for my dissertation this year on GP2X but unsure since lecturers want to test and see projects which will be difficult if they dont own a GP2X.

have seen several posts mentioning OpenGL for GP2X. is OpenGL useable for GP2X or is it still a WIP?

I still have my GP32, although the amount of stuff to back it up with - soldering iron and screw drivers to keep it working makes it annoying sometimes (I have a dodgy FLU cable and the D-pad is buggered ) I'm really tempted with the GP2X deal @ GP2x.net.au. But recently I got an NDS lite with Animal Crossing and that has taken up a lot of time when I'm travelling about. (DS's are about $100 second hand from EB games)

As for the boards, being out in Western Oz has meant very little online time, so can only check the site when I'm at Internet cafes. However with my shiny new NZ work visa, I should be on here more often :)

Before I ordered my first GP2x in November (arrived December), I was looking on the forum, but didn't register initially. I wanted to make sure there was enough available to play on it first, and forthcoming developments. I think I heard about the GP2x on CraigX's site - gp2x.co.uk and read up about it.

I got my first GP2x, had many issues with it, got my money back (from gp2x.co.uk), bought another one March as I recall (gp2x.co.uk) - been using that one since. Registered as a member in January, while I was "between GP2x's".

I am glad to see so many respond to this poll. I was wondering how many people hang around the site being that the membership numbers seem to be up into the 9000 range. Before I joined, I read a lot as a visitor and then got my GP32 back in the middle of 2005. That is when I joined. I ended up getting my GP2X at the first of July this year. I still have both and I rarely pick up my GP32. My GP2X dominates my gaming time! :)

This is not on the front page anymore. I too am wondering if it will be missed by a lot of members. :unsure:

Hey Lizard, hope you are having a good time in Aus. I bet the weather is better than here.
Yes, the results may be a little skewed. I just hoped the GP32-only members would also read this board.

Although I came along after the GP32, it was an article in retro-gamer about the GP32 that got me interested. I actually wanted one even though the GP2X was already out just because there was already a lot of software available for it, (I also felt it looked 'cuter' :) ) but I couldn't find anywhere to buy one.

The other thing that got me interested was the Gizmondo: A few months before they went bust one of my friends who worked for them sent me two for free to see if I would be interested in developing for it. Once Gizmondo went bust, the homebrew scene started to come to life and I got a taste of what GP2X ownership would be like. I liked it! The Giz got better when Gizmondo went bust!

I haven't developed anything for the GP2X yet, but I do intend to when I have some time to dedicate to it.

Back