Free In The Dark

Nr.56

"Alone in the Dark" was a milestone in gamedesign and maybe a source of inspiration for the resident evil games. "Free in the Dark" is an interpreter (among others) for linux. The first episodes of alone in the dark are abandonware now and the interpreter is open source (?). Is it possible to port the interpreter? <_<

I dont know if it is possible
but that would be cool
it didnt require a lot a buttons, GFX were like 320*200*256 colors
That could run well on a GP2X.

see you :lol:

there was another mention of this earlier on where someone pointed out that FITD uses openGL. but who knows, rixed is still making improvements to gpu940. so i don't want to dash all hope completely. but you're right, it'd be awesome.

there was another mention of this earlier on where someone pointed out that FITD uses openGL. but who knows, rixed is still making improvements to gpu940. so i don't want to dash all hope completely. but you're right, it'd be awesome.

:D i think the present slimGL of the gpu940-project is more than enough for this interpreter. there are no graphic effects and max. 5 polygon objects, wich consist of really few polygons without textures! the needed power is not as high as in egoboo2x, on the contrary in my opinion FITD (if it uses openGL) should be the better tech-demo. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that thing in the library...damm I hate that thing.

It might just be faster to rip out the OpenGL stuff and 'downgrade' back to a simple software 3D renderer.

:D i think the present slimGL of the gpu940-project is more than enough for this interpreter. there are no graphic effects and max. 5 polygon objects, wich consist of really few polygons without textures! the needed power is not as high as in egoboo2x, on the contrary in my opinion FITD (if it uses openGL) should be the better tech-demo. ;)

I had a kick look at fitd code this morning.

The README says that sound is broken, as well as projectiles and throwing objects.

I run the PC version with alone in the dark 1 abandonware and it behaved strangely (controls were not responding, most of the menus were not usable...

Maybe I have had no chance, maybe the engine is just not usable yet...?

Do someone actualy uses fitd to play the game ?

I had a kick look at fitd code this morning.

The README says that sound is broken, as well as projectiles and throwing objects.

I run the PC version with alone in the dark 1 abandonware and it behaved strangely (controls were not responding, most of the menus were not usable...

Maybe I have had no chance, maybe the engine is just not usable yet...?

Do someone actualy uses fitd to play the game ?
I doubt it, the SVN shows that the code hasn't been touched for two years. RRootage anyone? :D

"Alone in the dark 1" should be complete playable.

A post of yaz0r:

"I'm not sure when I'll get back to this project. It is in the final bugfix stages, usualy the most borring to do. In current state, AITD1 _should_ be completable (I completed it once in FITD). Other games like AITD2/JITD/AITD3 are barely playable (In AITD2, you should be able to go up to the maze, but all the IA will be wrong most of the time...)."

@ rixed:
Is the code easy to understand, or is it necessary to ask yaz0r for finish the engine? :unsure:
Maybe a nice port even though!

Back