Freesci? What Happened To It?

JakeK

Website
Visit site
I was talking to DJWillis in one of the threads I created for help and I asked about SCI games on the GP2X. H told me too look around and all I could was a beta from halfway through last year.

So what has happened to the FreeSCI port?

PokeParadox said:
AFAIK SCI was picked up and integrated into the main SCUMMVM codebase...
AGI was incorporated into ScummVM (Sarien).
FreeSCI is still very much a separate project however it should be stated that ScummVM and FreeSCI now share developers.

You could read this page from the ScummVM wiki that may shed some light on our plans for FreeSCI (and if your interested our plans for the Google Summer of Code this year).

Last edited by a moderator:
Why hello again DJWillis :p (it is BlackThunder). I take it that Jordi V's version would need to be ported to GP2x.

I just took a look at GSoC and that is amazing. Has the ScummVM mentors decided what the project is going to be? (Which I noticed you are one of them)

JakeK said:
Why hello again DJWillis :p (it is BlackThunder). I take it that Jordi V's version would need to be ported to GP2x.

I just took a look at GSoC and that is amazing. Has the ScummVM mentors decided what the project is going to be? (Which I noticed you are one of them)
We have 17 applications currently (deadline is tonight) and we are working on refining them with the students. Some look very promising so we hope to get something good out of the program, it's a lot of work but it is worth it to bring new talent into the project.

As for FreeSCI, the ScummVM engine that is derived from FreeSCI should work on the GP2X at it is in one form or another. Maybe I will look at doing this at some point as I said I would have a look at the code anyway. There is still a very long way to go before it could be considered for inclusion in ScummVM.

Well, I guess I should poke my head in here.... I'm still slowly working on freesci (damn college), sorry for the lack of updates, it's just gotten overwhelming at times :S

Hooka said:
Well, I guess I should poke my head in here.... I'm still slowly working on freesci (damn college), sorry for the lack of updates, it's just gotten overwhelming at times :S
Hiya mate,

Good to see you about.

After reading this thread, I grabbed freesci source code (stable and dev), compiled, and it works on gp2x, of course without any key binding I could do nothing but watch the intros :)

But the mouse works in all games I tried (well at least it moves, clicking on the intros did nothing).

hitnrun: There is more GP2X specific code in their, either I didn't submit it right (I've never quite wrapped my mind around darcs :S), or you forgot to use the GP2X makefile... probably the former ;)

Hey DJWillis, good to see you running around here too ;)

I was wondering where you had got to Hooka, the beta I mentioned was yours and that was halfway through last year :p.

If there is anything I can do to help (I can't code though xD ) I'd be glad to. I could test things out if you'd like me too.

Hooka said:
hitnrun: There is more GP2X specific code in their, either I didn't submit it right (I've never quite wrapped my mind around darcs :S), or you forgot to use the GP2X makefile... probably the former ;)

Hey DJWillis, good to see you running around here too ;)
Hey is there a gp2x makefile in the official source? I just found the gp32 one...

hitnrun: I'll give my code on my hdd a check sometime soon and I'll either get it into darcs or I'll upload it somewhere, gimme about a week or so, I've got alot of projects on the go at college and exams next week.

Hitnrun said:
Hey is there a gp2x makefile in the official source? I just found the gp32 one...

I don't think we ever got around to committing the GP2X code to the repository. It's good to see that there's still an interest in FreeSCI for GP2X, though. :)

I got my gp2x mostly for playing RPGs, so FreeSCI is top on my list! :)

I would like to help on freesci, but I don't have much free time these days, but maybe someday I may have... if you can commit it or send it to me, I would be happy to take a look when I have some time.

Back