Freespace

redstar1949

Still Fresh
There are great ports of Freespace 1 and 2 (the space combat sim) for Linux... does anyone know if a Freespace port for Pandora would be possible?

It should be able to do online play too, right?

These are the games I want ported to the Pandora the most, maybe even more than Quake3. Freespace 2 was one of my favorite games of all time. From what I've read, FS2 Open without any graphical modifications has the same system requirements as the original game (200mhz CPU, 32MB memory), so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to port. That being said, I hope if it is ported it's optimized so we can run impressive graphical modifications and take full advantage of the Pandora's capabilities.

The game should be well within the technical capabilities of the Pandora. The game supports OpenGL, but I cannot find out what version. I'd assume it's not ES 2.0, so there is probably a decent amount of work to be done converting it over. The good news is that the Freespace Source Code Project seems to be alive and well, so anybody looking to do a port can probably expect decent support.

PS - This game looks really good.
fedtarget1.jpg

From what I've read, FS2 Open without any graphical modifications has the same system requirements as the original game (200mhz CPU, 32MB memory)

Can you confirm that?. Last time I tried the Freespace Source Code Project port I checked the memory usage and it was around 250 MB...

Uukrul said:
From what I've read, FS2 Open without any graphical modifications has the same system requirements as the original game (200mhz CPU, 32MB memory)
Can you confirm that?. Last time I tried the Freespace Source Code Project port I checked the memory usage and it was around 250 MB...

I got that from a quick google of "FS2 open requirements", which turned up this page, with the relevant quote: QUOTE
The hardware requirements depend on the options you select. The fs2_open prject without modifications (equals the original Freespace 2), got the same Hardware Requirements as the Original. The visually improved version will require more Power.
Mind you, this page is just a howto, probably made with no involvement of the fs2_open devs, so it might be entirely wrong for all I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
If memory serves (and it rarely does), the fs2_open project concentrates (concentrated?) on graphical enhancements and whatnot, which coud make it a bit heavier. There's also the Icculus port available if that's the case.

Edit: bad link

Chip said:
fedtarget1.jpg
nice, i love startrek combat games, and crossing universes is cool too. :)
is that a mod of 'the babylon project', or a new game altogether?

but what is that ship on the left?? looks like the front of an excelsior with the engines of a constitution refit...?

Chip said:
fedtarget1.jpg
The only possible improvement on that would be antialiasing. That would be incredible. more than it is already

Well, in the FS2 open port of the game they added the option to up the resolution to 1024x768... but that feature is optional. I believe the game natively ran at 800 x 600?

The game is really customizable so we only have to choose the amount of bloating that will run on the Pandora :)

RedStar1949 said:
This thread has been dead a while... was anyone still considering porting this?
If someone gets FS2 working, ...how much harder would it be to get Beyond the Red Line to work?

That would be amazing.

RedStar1949 said:
This thread has been dead a while...
All the more reason to let the dead rest in peace. Create a new thread that acknowledges that you didn't get an answer with this thread. At least you're not gravedigging that way.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
All the more reason to let the dead rest in peace. Create a new thread that acknowledges that you didn't get an answer with this thread. At least you're not gravedigging that way.

-God Ginrai
Heh... Thread necromancy is in keeping with some of the oldest traditions of the Internet. ;)

As it stands, if it'll fit in memory with the textures and all, I suspect that it'll be there shortly. I can't say for sure with Beyond the Red Line or any of the other complete conversions, but FS/FS2 I would think would run just spiffy if we've got ES 1.1 support. :D

Now, whether one would get commercial support for it...at the least, it's become much, much easier to be "legit" on that title as Good Old Games is offering it for sale right now and it just simply works with the FOSS version of the engine.

God Ginrai said:
RedStar1949 said:
This thread has been dead a while...

-God Ginrai

If he had started a new thread someone would have digged out this thread and blamed him for not posting here.

fs2 would really be great and open the gate for some amazing mods.

are you trying to get this thread locked !?

freespace is awesome we know that... will probably work on the HW with a little porting... runs fine on my geforce2 and i think the SGX might be faster than it... not sure... guess i'll pose that question over in the new forum

cut the ranting please

cb88 said:
cut the ranting please
I've been wondering why he's been ranting, myself. Past the initial gravedig, it WAS a legit revival of the thread topic, something I'd missed. I'm trying to work towards getting the SCP version as the "official" binary set for what GoG is offering for download instead of the version they're pushing (because it'd open it up to Linux-X86, MacOS, Windows (XP and Vista) in one fell swoop- and, resources permitting, the Pandora as well...). It's a valid question as to whether it gets ported or not.

The takeaway answer would be "it's in the plans"- but I'm so damned booked on other things that if I'm the one doing it, it'll take a little bit for it to get to the Pandora. :D

Pulling up an old thread is always better than starting a new one. Unless the old thread had zero responses, the responses in the original thread are likely relevant to any new discussion. Adding to an existing thread means keeping all discussion on a single top in a single place. This makes it easier for people to follow the topic and reference the information later.

EDIT: cleansed thread of petty bickering

Is running freespace not going to be a problem control wise? I'm one of those old generation guys ( wing commander, privateer, x-wing, etc ) and i always preferred a real joystick for the control. So, is that not going to be a problem on the Pandora?

Hmmm, time to look up the Privateer ( vega strike) remake projects. Been a few years :)

Back