French and Spanish characters

Use the force aka the compose key.

First press Shift+Enter (i.e. Compose) and then the modifier (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key for a general list of combinations, couldn't find one on the Pandora wiki) which typically i9s a Fn combination and then the base character.

Oh, you wanted an easy way. You'll have to remap the keys :)

Biggest problem for me is the the default terminal font doesn't support non Latin fonts it seems, although using the compose key produces the expected characters in e.g. mousepad (e.g. left trigger[shift]+enter, FN+A[apostrophe], A produces A acute). Having FN as a shoulder button would make this a bit simpler on Pyra.

It isn't the terminal font. You have to use a locale with a capable encoding. Try 'export LANG=en_US.UTF-8' (or whatever language you need) in your profile (see the Anki thread for a recent discussion).

Hmm, popped that in my .profile file and re-logged in, but when I enter C cedilla I still get a question mark. Not that it matters - I can get the correct character in anything important to me.

Hmm, that should work. My $LANG is unset, 'Compose , c' gives me a question mark in terminal, in a 'LANG=en_US.UTF-8 terminal --disable-server' (the disable server is important if there is another terminal running) 'Compose , c' gives me a cedilla with the font (Deja Vu Monospace). But I might have changed the default (I think I only changed the size, but can't really remember), which font is configured in your terminal?

Back