Fried My Gp2x

tomj

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi,
Yesterday afternoon i plugged in my power adapter to quickly transfer a few mp3's. Unfortunatly I checked that the tip was negative but i did not check the power this meant that it got 7.5VDC it took a few seconds before I relised and smelt what was happening :eek: as soon as i did i unpluged it. I then set it back to 3V after leaving it for a bit it turned it on and it went through the first two boot screens fine and then it stopped (i think that it is crashing as sometimes there are flickering pixels). From what I know im assuming that this is due to the chip not having the correct voltage to work corrctly. I can see that the LTSK e9 (U18) has been fried. I have found on the wiki that an LTC3402 can be used as a replacement can anyone confirm this? Are there likely to be any other chips that have fried or will the LTSK have acted as an expensive fuse? I have tracked down the LTC3402 being sold from RS Components are there any other places in England that would sell this chip as RS Components is currently out of stock. For the soldering i am planning to adapt this Hot Air Pencil. Am i correct in thinking that this would be suitable and would you use solder paste with it?

Any help would be very much appreciated

The hot air pencil seems suitable for the job as long as you can use it (I'm assuming you know how) and yes, you would use solder paste. As far as the LTC3402 being able to replace the LTSK e9 (U18), I don't know. I'd just get another LTSK e9 (U18) if you can and try that. However, if you do try to fix it yourself, GPH probably won't replace it for you if it still doesn't work so I'd just send it back and tell them it did it by itself. But hey, that's just me. Hope this helps. :)

I have the same problem, but the problem for me is i can't reflow for beans. If you want a true confirmation on what part that can be used, ask ED.

I decided to send it back because the amount of time and money it would take for me to have sorted out reflow soldering as i don't know the details and would have to start from scratch with equipment. The possibility of breaking, voiding warranty and so on means it doesn't seem worth it even if I have to pay for it to be fixed.

Back