Frotz For Gp32 With Chatboard

plupp

Still Fresh
I have made a port of Frotz (Dumb frotz) for the GP32.

It has a few things that are unique compared to other ports.

It has support for reading clue files while you go, so when you are stuck, press start and you can read any .txt file in GPMM\DOCS and then return to the game where you were by pressing start again.

It supports the chatboard allowing for fast and easy import using shift-e as enter.

Put any (infocom) z machine game in GPMM\FROTZ and give it a twirl!

It is chatboard only so if you dont have a chatboard, get one right away.

I have mainly tested sherlock holmes and hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, both work more or less flawlessly.

The rediculously slow saves of previous betas are no longer rediculous. Save time is down to five seconds from the nearly six minutes of the private beta.

It crashes if either docs or frotz folder is empty, so keep some files in both folders if you intend to use either of them.

If you dont like the relase feel free to fix it yourself, source is included, just download mrmirkos sdk and write "make" after decompressing files!

Feel free to make any changes to the code, for instance a nice file requester (like for selecting the game or text file) for opening saved files would be a nice addition!

Since frotz is so small, working with it as your first gp32 port is a very nice experience!

It will only be there for a very short time, so if anyone else can host it that would be nice!

Also: if someone can make a cool icon that would also be very good!

/plupp

havent had a chance to play it coz im fresh outta batteries, but i quickly did this

logo46.gif

Very cool. Now does anyone sell premodded chatboards so I can try this out?

-Tim

Excellent stuff. The main reason I bought my chatboard in the first place was to play old style text adventures ( via the equally great Kronos ). The only main function missing from that was support of Zform which was due in a future release so now that Frotz has been released I can at last sate my cravings.

One thing I noticed whilst playing on the train ( apart form how physically awkward it is holding your GP32 and Chatboard at the same time ) is that some of the text would repeat itself. I tried this in several games ( a couple of Scot Adams ones and a few original ones as well ) and it seemed to happen in all of them so I'm guessing that this may be due to the word wrapping.

If you are looking for future enhancements, may I suggest the addition of a font selector as per LazyReader so that for those of us who can read small fonts you can get more on a line before word wrapping.

Also, I'm not sure if it can be done easily or not but the line breaking seems a bit strange with descriptions running into the score prompt which in turn runs into the commmand entry line.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too critical as it isn't meant to be since I haven't had this much fun with my GP32 for ages.

Also, your program seems to be one of the few which allows multiple key presses at the same time on the chatboard. Does this only work with the shift key since I was disappointed to find that I still couldn't play Manic Miner with SpeccyAlK since it only seemed to handle one key at at time.

Keep up the good work

pmpddytim posted on Aug 24 2004 at 09:56 PM said:

-Tim

When I get the connectors I will be selling them at £14.99 each. Want me to add you to the List??? I have room for 3 or so more people on the list btw

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve-O posted on Aug 26 2004 at 09:22 AM said:

-Tim

When I get the connectors I will be selling them at £14.99 each.
That's a bit steep. I'd only pay up to £10.

Klown posted on Aug 26 2004 at 02:03 PM said:

-Tim

Your never going to get one then.

Klown posted on Aug 26 2004 at 01:03 PM said:

-Tim

Its cheapest around unless u make your own. :p

First of all apologies for digging up an old release thread (didn't seem worth adding a new one for this :D )

I couldn't find a version of Frotz that worked with the BLU+ so i have recompiled it with a newer version of Mr Mirkos SDK to fix that up.

Also i made a couple of minor changes :-

a ) Changed the Enter/Return button to the fullstop (next to M on the Chatboard) as i couldn't get the hang of Shift/E lol
b ) Added the Icon someone contributed to this thread earlier.

Don't forget you need to press the SMS button before using the keyboard for the first time (and also if you accidently press one of the yes/no keys etc. to get back to normal)

You can grab the FXE here

Put game DAT files in GPMM/FROTZ etc. (see original released zip for readme etc.)

Not with this version as its a port of dumb Frotz which doesn't support graphics.

Back